VOGONS

First post, by amalgim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I am currently building doing my first 386 build in an IBM PS/Valuepoint 325T. I am not familiar with the 386, as I was a child when it was new. I have been researching each step, but I have hit a wall.

I am using an IDE to CF adapter with an 8GB card which I partition it into 4 partitions each around 1.6GB so that I stay under the FAT16 limit. However the BIOS and DOS both only see the partitions as 72MB. Does a 386 have an additional limitation besides DOS’s FAT16 limit? Is it the onboard IDE controller? Would grabbing a newer ISA IDE controller solve the problem?

Reply 1 of 7, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The partition size limit is an OS thing, you did well keeping it below 2GB for FAT16.
However there is also the BIOS hard disk limit, which in your case is most probably 512MB.
You have options, the easiest would be to use some dynamic drive overlay software (like EZ-drive...) or the XT-IDE BIOS

Reply 3 of 7, by amalgim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2020-09-18, 12:17:

The partition size limit is an OS thing, you did well keeping it below 2GB for FAT16.
However there is also the BIOS hard disk limit, which in your case is most probably 512MB.
You have options, the easiest would be to use some dynamic drive overlay software (like EZ-drive...) or the XT-IDE BIOS

So I would flash the XT-IDE bios to a chip and completely replace the bios chip that’s currently on the motherboard?

Reply 4 of 7, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amalgim wrote on 2020-09-18, 18:57:
konc wrote on 2020-09-18, 12:17:

So I would flash the XT-IDE bios to a chip and completely replace the bios chip that’s currently on the motherboard?

As I understand it from reading other posts, it adds to the motherboard BIOS as an option ROM. You can put it in any add-on card that has an empty BIOS socket, such as, for example, a network card. If you replaced the motherboard BIOS with it, it would not have any of the other code the MB needs, so it wouldn't boot.

As far as I can tell, the motherboard BIOS installs option ROMs during the POST checks and initialisation of the board. XT-IDE only adds more modern IDE routines.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 6 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool! Don't forget to download the network card utility, though. NICs have EPROMs for configuration and the ROM socket needs to be enabled for once maybe.

If you like, you can also use one of these older EPROM images.. They are tested and ready to use.
Re: IDE disk-on-module + 386

However, they are several years old by now.
For Win9x, the official 386 versions of XUB are better perhaps.

If you can't get hold of real EPROMs with a quartz window (for erading with UV light), these cheap OTP chips are also worth a try.
But keep in mind that they can't be erased.

The easiest method would be using modern Flash chips or older EEPROMs (essentially the same as Flash). However, finding 27c64 or 27c128 pin compatible chips might be tricky.
Anyway, you can als double the images by using copy command.

Use copy /b rom.bin+rom.bin fatrom.bin or similar syntax. That way, you can use bigger chips (27c256, 27c512 compatibles)

Of course, doing so will take up more space in the 640KB-1MB area..

I hope that wasn't too much information. 😅
It's really simple after you get used to it.
If you like, you can watch some YT video tutorials. I also made a video. Though the other videos are likely better (with speech).

Good luck! 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've just had to to the same thing on an early 486. 500MB just isnt enough!

I went with the EZ-Drive dynamic drive overlay option as I dont have the tools to flash rom chips.
It's easy to setup, works well, and invisable to dos. I had it setup and dos installed in under 1/2 hr
Phil's done a video on it.
https://youtu.be/8LzCB6kDVC8

But if you have all the tools to flash the chip the XT-IDE type solution is the way I'd go.