VOGONS

First post, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I have recently acquired several socket 7 motherboards. Most are later later s7 1997-
But I think this is a bit earlier. All the version info I could find is the P54TA text on the bottom of the mb. Anyone know who made this board?
Kind regards

Attachments

Reply 1 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you turn it on ? I'd like to see the POST string 😁
I couldn't find it in UH19, but this could help us add it there 😀

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 23, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no info on the P54TA. There is info on a P54TS from IWill and this board looks a bit similar.

However, to fully identify it, we indeed need it to boot or a bios dump from the eprom if you happen to have an eprom reader/programmer.

Reply 3 of 23, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried to boot it now, but i dont get any other than beeping. With a non mmx pentium i get long beeps and with an mmx i get short beeps.
I have tried several graphics cards and ram.
Would be nice to have a manual so i dont need to worry so much about frying cpus.😅

Reply 4 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't put pmmx in here, this is a single voltage board. You won't damage a regular pentium though. How many beeps does it make ?
You can also try a POST card to figure out what's preventing it from starting

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MMX is made for 2.8V. From what I've heard it's ok but not recommended.
Anyways, a POST card is really cheap and can be really helpful 😀
The amount of beep codes can give a hint on what's wrong too 😀

Reply 8 of 23, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will try to count the beeps later. But is it not hard to tell what they mean when we dont even know what motherboard it is?😅

I tried a pci matrox mga card, pci s3 864 and a isa tseng et4000ax. It did not change the beeps

Reply 10 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SVD wrote on 2020-09-19, 20:34:

But is it not hard to tell what they mean when we dont even know what motherboard it is?😅

No, because this is a BIOS related thing 😀
You have a AWARD bios.
Check this site : http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

"Repeating (endless loop)" "Memory error"

What kind of memory did you insert and how many sticks did you instert ? Do the RAM slot look ok ?

Reply 11 of 23, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

RAM slots look okay, i got it too boot now. It seems i should have used 2 ram sticks. But it shows 640k ok. and then freezes so its not all good yet. (Edit: Fixed it now by changing ram again)
Also my tseng card have a tantal cap knocked off 😒

Is this the string you needed to identify it?

07/03/95-TRITON-2A59CF5HC-00

BTW thanks for the help 😁

Reply 12 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SVD wrote on 2020-09-20, 10:25:
RAM slots look okay, i got it too boot now. It seems i should have used 2 ram sticks. But it shows 640k ok. and then freezes so […]
Show full quote

RAM slots look okay, i got it too boot now. It seems i should have used 2 ram sticks. But it shows 640k ok. and then freezes so its not all good yet. (Edit: Fixed it now by changing ram again)
Also my tseng card have a tantal cap knocked off 😒

Is this the string you needed to identify it?

07/03/95-TRITON-2A59CF5HC-00

BTW thanks for the help 😁

Just to make sure you're aware of this till you find the manual, Pentium boards such as this one require that the memory modules are installed in pairs, preferably identical pairs.
There are very few Pentium 1 chipsets that will work with a single SIMM. The exception is when using DIMMs, a single one should work.

This could have been the cause why your board wouldn't post if you had added only single memory modules at a time (which is something I would probably have done when troubleshooting).

EDIT: The motherboard is reminiscent of ESC btw, as that manufacturer tended to use white ISA slots on other boards and the naming scheme seems to be what ESC would have named their boards at the time.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes and the pair must be made of the same sticks.
After looking at this POST string, it seems that your board was made by "Fugutech" which is one of PCChips' names ... Now the odd thing is that your layout doesn't match anything we know.

Edit : aha !
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/587
Don't pay attention to the schema, but download the MTL manual and look (Evasive may have made a mistake here, or maybe microhouse, I'm not sure. This will be fixed soon). So your board is indeed a pcchips/amptron motherboard. Possibly amptron PM-7500.

Would you like to make a better picture so we can save it in our database ? 😀

Edit 2: god, this looks complicated x)

So : this board is a Fugutech (which is also pcchips/amptron ...), there's a record in Microhouse Technical Library claiming this is a Amptron PM-7500 ... But on the Amptron website from archive.org, they claim that it's not ...

Really PCChips with their 1000 brands and board names is a total mess 🤣

Reply 15 of 23, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hope this picture works 😊
I searched the Amptron, but it did not exactly look like my board. Edit: thanks for that manual, it looks exactly like it, same jumper numbers also. Looks like it is a Amptron or rebranded copy then. Strange that I got another board when searching pictures of it.

Attachments

Last edited by SVD on 2020-09-20, 20:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 23, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Btw, now that we are close on that board. Any idea what this is?🤣 it also got bad name marking. It looks like a really nice small ss7 board. Am I wrong or are these a bit slower and not regarded as good?
It got at and atx power. Simm and dimm. Agp, pci and isa. Removable battery. USB header. Fan header. Infrared (if that's good for anything) crazy 90s font and all the ss7 good stuff. So for me it looks quite awsome😁

Attachments

Reply 17 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the image, yes it's good.

As for this other board, again a POST string would be very helpful 😀

Reply 18 of 23, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here you go 😊
It would not boot at 83×6=500mhz but boots fine at 66×6=400mhz. It's a 500mhz k6-2 so is it pci divider related maybe?

Attachments

Reply 19 of 23, by alfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SVD wrote on 2020-09-25, 20:53:

Here you go 😊
It would not boot at 83×6=500mhz but boots fine at 66×6=400mhz. It's a 500mhz k6-2 so is it pci divider related maybe?

Looks like SuperGrace S7 to me. Except the one I had had EliteMT chip in CPU socket.