VOGONS

Reply 60 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Socket3 wrote on 2021-01-16, 19:15:
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-01-11, 01:06:

This made me happy 😁 And more data for UH19 as a bonus.

Same here. I'm glad OP managed to find exactly what he was looking for. Had a shot at trying to rebuild my first PC as well, but a crucial component is out of reach so I gave up.

What's the component?

Reply 62 of 78, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awww!! Happy to see you found it!! These guys are great aren’t they?

We (you and I) are actually concurrently embarking on similar projects. Rebuilding our childhood socket 7 computers! Like you, my first step was finding the motherboard. I got lucky and found my old specs in a post I made 15-16 years ago around the same time as you haha.

Byw, If you need a k6 400 I may know where one is.

Btw, do whatever you have to to win that auction cause one with the box won’t come again.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 63 of 78, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
B24Fox wrote on 2021-01-16, 19:35:
Socket3 wrote on 2021-01-16, 19:15:
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-01-11, 01:06:

This made me happy 😁 And more data for UH19 as a bonus.

Same here. I'm glad OP managed to find exactly what he was looking for. Had a shot at trying to rebuild my first PC as well, but a crucial component is out of reach so I gave up.

What's the component?

The cpu (cyrix 5x86-133gp), case and motherboard. The case was a non standard form factor, slim horizontal case. The motherboard was a proprietary form factor board with a UMC chipset. 2 PCI slots, 2 ISA slots, two SIMM slots. The expansion slots sat on a riser card that provided 2 expansion slots on each side. One slot was populated by the video card. The I/O consisted of two PS2 ports for keayboard and mouse soldered on the motherboard, as well as two com ports and a parallel port. Can't remember what the video card was exactly, but I think it used an ARK video chip. I do know it came with 2MB of vram. The system was intended to be used as a point of sales machine. It came with a 14" color CRT, a dot matrix printer and a barcode scanner that connected to one of the serial ports.

The computer was purchased to use in a new location, but for some reason the new store never opened, so the computert sat unused (and un-needed) at my dad's workplace. One day, he decided to bring it home (this was late summer 1996 if I remember correctly) and let me mess around with it since I'd been bugging him about getting a computer for years. The computer had to be taken back to the company when my dad changed jobs, and that's the last I saw of it.

Reply 64 of 78, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool Story, nice you found it at last.
I am pretty sure that I had this very model in my collection at some point, but I am not sure whether I still have it. I'll dig through my box of motherboards and find out...

Edit: Unfortunately I don't have it any more. Sold it as part of a complete system some 2 years ago or so. Sorry mate, I would have let you have it... Hope you succeed in finding one!

My retro computers

Reply 65 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Sphere478
Yes! They Are! Maybe one of the best communities here on the internet.. *raises glass!*
The auction ended. It was a bit over my budget (at least £45 + shipping). But a user here by the name of "smokeycockatiel" got it, and he seems very nice, and I didn't really want to bid against him. At least it's in good hands 😀 (*ahem*.. maybe we'll get the manual and CD Scans 😁)
In any case, just seeing "my baby" after all these years, brought me a lot of joy.. I'm sure somehow, someway, i'll eventually find one 😀

Thanks for the tip/offer, but I've gathered a few K6 CPUs this past year. Again, thank you!
Parts form the junk-yard are what enabled the very low prices that made this hobby/passion possible for me (otherwise I would have just remained staring at LGR's and PHILL's videos) . Some (parts) look like they've been chewed by dogs. But with a little bit of luck, I've managed to find some great stuff that was either working or reparable 😀

@gex85
Thank you! I really appreciate the thought!

@Socket3
I saw at my friend that works in recycling, a case that has the exact form factor you described. Tall (about 2ft [60cm]), abnormally thin (dirty white color).. that looked to be from the socket5 - late socket3 era. Seemed to be a full computer. I'll ask him to take a picture of the front and back, and post them here.

Reply 66 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Socket3
Here are the pictures.:

Attachments

• IMG-20210119-WA0013.jpg
    Filename
    IMG-20210119-WA0013.jpg
    File size
    123.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG-20210119-WA0015.jpg
    Filename
    IMG-20210119-WA0015.jpg
    File size
    184.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG-20210119-WA0014.jpg
    Filename
    IMG-20210119-WA0014.jpg
    File size
    97.03 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 70 of 78, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-01-20, 09:12:

Must be a relist as they're the very same photos, including the same pen & coffee stains on the manual.

it’s a sign!!! Buy it!!!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 72 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think they meant that the max bid they put in the auto-bidding app that they were using, was £45.

Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-20, 15:39:
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-01-20, 09:12:

Must be a relist as they're the very same photos, including the same pen & coffee stains on the manual.

it’s a sign!!! Buy it!!!

I sure hope so!! If the price is gonna remain low, i'm gonna ask my cousin that lives in the UK, to bid on it, and bring it to me the next time he visits. Should significantly cut down on shipping fees.

Reply 73 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE!
I've won the auction for £27 !
And has been shipped to my cousin in the UK for @ only 4£ (compared to almost £30 that would have cost to be delivered to me)
Next time he visits, he will bring it with him 😁 😁
(I'll be sure to make a scan of the manual, and upload it here!)

Thank you to everyone that helped make this possible for me!! Truly THANK YOU!!

Reply 75 of 78, by subnet_zero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh wow, what a great tale and with a happy end. Congrats! 😊

BTW: If someone has a manual for my DCS/Commate board... DCS/Commate/Tcommate P3-370A/370A-VP - some documentation - missing manual

Reply 76 of 78, by Xplo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Haha. I had followed this thread when it started and was really curious to know the answer and hoping someone would find out what the mystery box was.

Little did I know, I had it sitting in my cupboard the whole time oblivious to the fact I had it.

Even when I got it out, the butterfly didn’t occur to me

Just stumbled across this thread again and the eureka moment when I saw the ebay photos here

Yes I was the seller of this item and I am glad you found what you were looking for in the end 😀

Generally I find it frustrating selling low value items and all the aggro that is involved for little return on money, but it makes it all worth it when you find out your helping people recreate memories!

Reply 77 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Xplo
OMG! Thanks!
Yeah, I was the one who asked you on eBay about the contents of the box & CD 😊

BTW, were you the original owner? Did it ever had a CD or any other accessories?

@Pierre32 @subnet_zero
Thank you! 😁