VOGONS

First post, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone here who wants to show their cowboy fixes, that works, of old HW? I dont think one should do these if they can avoid, but sometimes it's the only/best option.

I can start with my Olivetti ,thinner than normal 3.5" floppy drive that have gotten quite the beating by one of the previous owners. Since finding these would be hard I just had to fix the mechanism by my self. It probably got a missing spring somewhere, so it would not eject at all. and did not have an eject button on top of that.
I made an eject button of some redundant plastic with the same colour from inside the case. I then took a spring from a pen, with a pin as a "guide rod" and laid the original spring that push out the diskette double. it works again, for now 😅

Attachments

Reply 1 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I fixed a 5.25" floppy drive lever once using a micro drill and micro screw. The internal nylon tab on the disk lock shaft that lowers the upper head cracked, and no clue would fix it/hold it in place. Thought I took a picture of it but cannot find it 🙁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 8, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Necessity is the Mother of invention!"

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 4 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-09-27, 21:25:

Does litterly taping a Noctua fan to a 486 heatsink count?

Probably insulating the heat and making it worse but, hey. It keeps it cool with a open case and I ran out of zipties 🙁

By now there's bound to be a good amount of case fans ziptied (or otherwise tied) to certain old graphics cards, so afaic yours counts! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 8, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it works it's not stupid, someone wise once said 😂

Would not do it on a zif socket tough

Attachments

Reply 6 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SVD wrote on 2020-09-28, 20:31:

If it works it's not stupid, someone wise once said 😂

Would not do it on a zif socket tough

Let me guess, you tried everything else and finally said to yourself "Ah screw it", and then you literally did . 😉

EDIT : My bad, I thought it was a screw, not a tie-wrap , so my joke falls flat. Either way, good job.

I have used tie wraps on an AWE32 with broken RAM sockets . Looks ugly, but works perfectly .

Cheers!

Reply 7 of 8, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am a bit of a fiend with superglue.. 486 heatsinks. Couple of PCI brackets with snapped off screws.. External battery packs.. Even the fan on my Voodoo 3000 is super glued on.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 8 of 8, by uridium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-09-28, 21:39:

I am a bit of a fiend with superglue.. 486 heatsinks. Couple of PCI brackets with snapped off screws.. External battery packs.. Even the fan on my Voodoo 3000 is super glued on.

Wait till you discover thermal epoxy... *heavy excited breathing*

Attachments

• heavyBreathing.jpg
    Filename
    heavyBreathing.jpg
    File size
    15.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain