VOGONS

First post, by dulu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Current specs:
- PIII-S 1400 - modded; connected AM34 with AK36, AK26 with AK4, ; isolated AN3, AJ3, AK4. Also connected AM36 with AL37 (vid1 with vid2) for greater voltage - i checked this connection by the multimeter on the back of the motherboard, so i`m sure that cpu has higher voltage.
- Asus CUV4X-CME/MEDION2001
- 2x256mb SDRAM - infineon CL2 and twinmos CL3. Both works stable with 2-2-2-6
- MSI/MEDION TI4200
- Audigy 2 ZS
- WD 80GB/2MB

I cannot get greater fsb than 142. I think i tried everything. PLL chip is ICS 9248-98, same as Asus CUV4x-M, but on CME board i have to use CPUFSB app for editing fsb. This maximum stable fsb (140, PCI 35MHZ) is a wall for all of variants that i have checked.

Variants:
- two different disk`s
- two diffrenet modded cpus - before PIII-S 1266
- two different GPUS - before MX440
- reducing ram timings for 3-3-3-7
- trying with only one module of ram
- increasing ram access latency (i don`t know what is it exactly) to 2 ns
- changing ram multipler - so when CPU has fsb 133, ram has 100
- removing soundblaster and disabling onboard soundcard
- disabling one of the IDE connector
- disabling com and lpt ports
- using bigger cooler for socket 478 with 60mm fan

Also, i noticed that with fsb-142, superpi-1M can be passed, but usb mouse and keyboard freezes. What else can i try? I wonder if original CUV4X-CME has more options in BIOS but didn`t found any info, and i don`t have any floppy disk.

Attachments

• results.jpg
    Filename
    results.jpg
    File size
    97.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's more or less usual VIA 694X overclocking headroom. My ASUS P3V4X has FSB wall at 148 Mhz. The are few boards which will perform better, but CUV4X-M is most likely not one of them.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's typical Nvidia driver behaviour with early AGP 4x VIA chipsets. You can force AGP 4x and other features via RivaTuner.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dulu wrote on 2020-10-01, 13:18:

Maybe someone know hows to fix AGP bandwitch? CPU-Z shows 2x mode on both ti4200 and mx440, while mainboard supports 4x, and that value has been set in BIOS.

Are you running XP ? Or Win9x.Vista ?

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-10-08, 23:02:

That's typical Nvidia driver behaviour with early AGP 4x VIA chipsets. You can force AGP 4x and other features via RivaTuner.

Yep been there and VIA GART had issues....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 8, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Keep it on 3 3 3 7 for memory.
Try only one stick of memory.
Try a PCI graphics card although it's not a high fsb so unlikely to be too high clock rate for AGP.
Heat won't be the issue.
Try disabling usb, might have to tab a lot.
Best of luck.

166Mhz is not hard on a 820e (b) chipset, VIA 133a may not be able to do it sadly.

Edit: HWBOT has some quite high entries for FSB on this chipset and others reporting 150Mhz.

Definately worth trying a PCI graphics cards or at least uninstalling all video drivers and the VIA ones so you are on the basic display adapter driver. Ruling them out as an issue.