VOGONS

First post, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

a couple of months back in time, i purchased my "first pc" once again in the form of the PS/2 model 30-286. It had the standard configuration of 1MB ram and working floppy and HDD (30MB). Soon after, i got it an XT-ide card (with a pcmcma/512MB CF card) as well as a ISA memory expansion board populated with 4MB (Acculogic RamPat! plus).

Of course, the original DS1287 was completely drained so i did the dremel trick on it, piggybacking a CR2032 batteri with holder soldered on properly. After configuring it with the reference disk, everything worked perfect for 6 months.

After these 6 months, i started to get those annoying 163/164 errors again. Checking the battery revealed that it still had the proper current and the soldering still looked as it should (and the computer had not been moved around) which was odd. At this point in time, i googled around and found that the Dallas RTC 1287 had a replacement that was confirmed to be working in the form of the Maxim 12887+ (sold by DigiKey and others). I ordered one of those. When it arrived, i plugged the 12887+ in and could enjoy some ~5 months of retro-fiddling without issues.

Last week, the machine started to act up again, and this is where it starts to get a bit weird:

It keeps most of its configuration intact (i.e floppy settings, etc). It also can remember its date settings. But it can't remember the time settings. After booting (with said 16x errors) and checking the time, i get this odd "0.12.3.24" time returned from the OS. Running the reference disk again and setting date and time that way will make it keep the time properly until i do a cold reboot, after which it goes back to this "garbled" time-format again.

Thinking that the PS/2 might not be as compatible after all (?? but why did it then work for quite many months prior?), i ordered and got two DS1287 and did the battery hack on one of them. After connecting this new frankenstein RTC, it did survive one cold start and could keep the date AND time. The second time i cold restarted it, i still had all settings intact, but the time setting (and it then gave me the 16x error before that).

I have tried to disconnect the memory expansion board and the xt-ide, but it makes no difference.

Have anyone here experienced something similar? If so, what was your solution? Is the Maxim 12887+ compatible like some people claim? Any better options around?

br

Dan

Last edited by my03 on 2020-10-09, 17:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope the 12887+ is fully compatible, as I bought 10 of them 😀

I also wondered whether the 12C887 is compatible, as I believe the 12C887+ would be the newest of the lot (and therefore most likely not to have a battery failure)

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about getting a Glitch Works replacement with coin cell battery holder?
https://www.tindie.com/products/glitchwrks/gw … acement-module/

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 9, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I know the DS1287 and DS12887 should be compatible. As for the differences with other RTCs of the same "family", such as DS12C887 or DS12887+:

• The 'C' means it has an extra "century" bit for Y2K support, but it will be ignored if the BIOS is not Y2K compatible
  • The 'A' at the end means the chip has an extra leg for clearing the RTC RAM (usually this is connected to the "clear CMOS" jumper on the board)
  • The '+' just means it's lead free, all new versions of the chip will probably have it

Reply 4 of 9, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2020-10-09, 17:36:

I hope the 12887+ is fully compatible, as I bought 10 of them 😀

I also wondered whether the 12C887 is compatible, as I believe the 12C887+ would be the newest of the lot (and therefore most likely not to have a battery failure)

Fingers crossed 😀

Reply 5 of 9, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-09, 18:37:

What about getting a Glitch Works replacement with coin cell battery holder?
https://www.tindie.com/products/glitchwrks/gw … acement-module/

Thx cyclone3d,

just ordered one from Glitch. While i do hope it will work, i have some doubts since i did try something similar in the past (https://centuriontech.eu/product/rtc-falcon030/) which should also be 12887+ compatible.

I hope i'm lucky this time 😀

Reply 7 of 9, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
my03 wrote on 2020-11-26, 20:51:

Just to recap: the Glitch rtc works beautifully on the ps/2. No issues at all 😀

Let's wait another 5 months 😀 Nah just joking, glad you got it working properly and good to know for anyone else interested

Reply 8 of 9, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have a network card in your system you can use mTCPs NTS syncing tool. Works great.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 9 of 9, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote on 2020-11-26, 21:30:

Let's wait another 5 months 😀 Nah just joking, glad you got it working properly and good to know for anyone else interested

oops, maybe i jinxed it now. Should have waited for another 6 months... 😁

Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-11-26, 21:39:

If you have a network card in your system you can use mTCPs NTS syncing tool. Works great.

Nice tip. I'll check that. Thx 😀