VOGONS

First post, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I dusted of my ol' faithful Intel L440GX+
Been running it with 2x 450MHz P3's
And for fun I tried one of my 1.1GHz in it which stopped it from posting and showing a CPU not supported message.
Fair enough I guess, but i started thinking what CPU's actually works on it?

My board is a 721242-006, wich would make is a 1.04 according to Intel.
Not the earliest but not a later board either.

The last BIOS I can find is 14.2 and it has the following:
"- L440GX+ Production BIOS 9.1 and later can be used on all L440GX+ server boards.
However, BIOS support for the Pentium(r) III 550E and 600E MHz and faster
processors can only be used on L440GX+ boards that have a PBA# of 704293-501
and greater or an AA# of 721242-008 and greater. Intel Pentium(r) III 550E
and 600E MHz and faster processors are not supported on L440GX+ boards with PBA
and AA numbers previous to those listed. Intel Pentium(r) III processors upto and
including 600 MHz(no 'E') can be used on all L440GX+ boards.
- Only L440GX+ server boards having a PBA 704293-801 and later or AA 704293-020
and later will support 1 GHz Pentium III processors."

In my mind this means my board only supports Katmai and not Coppermines?
Wich ofc. means 2x600MHz would be max.
And that makes my BP6 with 2xC366@550MHz look even more impressive considering the price difference when new =)

But perhaps some fellow Vogoner knows more about this?

Reply 1 of 5, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess this is due to different VRM designs between the board revisions and different voltage requirements between Katmai and Coppermine processors.
This is an issue with a lot of early 440bx boards that were originally built around the voltage requirements of Pentium II CPUs and are not capable of delivering the lower voltages requested by Coppermine processors. The VID pin definitions of Coppermine Slot1 processors are also often not recognised by those boards.

That being said if you were to run socket 370 Coppermines in slotkets jumpered to request 2V for the core I would be interested if the board would still refuse to run them.

Reply 2 of 5, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The latest BIOS for L440GX+ was 14.3, and as Intel has kindly removed all legacy resources from its website, I'm sharing the full package here.
If anyone is up to mod it to do the Tualatin support, I will be eager to support such an endevour in any possible way.

Attachments

• Filename
    L440GX.rar
    File size
    811.52 KiB
    Downloads
    67 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 3 of 5, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hard1k wrote on 2020-10-11, 15:26:

The latest BIOS for L440GX+ was 14.3, and as Intel has kindly removed all legacy resources from its website, I'm sharing the full package here.
If anyone is up to mod it to do the Tualatin support, I will be eager to support such an endevour in any possible way.

Can't find my original source atm, but I believe Tualatin support was added for later revision boards by one of the slotket makers, for use in an SGI system which was based on the L440GX+ (not sure if this bios was widely circulated tho).

FYI, this is another good site for the latest official files ftp://ftp.atcomp.cz/SERVERY_MERCURY/ARCHIV/intel/L440gx/

Sadly, I'm like the OP, with an (even) older board, 721242-003 which only supports upto Katmai 600s

Reply 4 of 5, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-10-11, 07:00:

I guess this is due to different VRM designs between the board revisions and different voltage requirements between Katmai and Coppermine processors.
This is an issue with a lot of early 440bx boards that were originally built around the voltage requirements of Pentium II CPUs and are not capable of delivering the lower voltages requested by Coppermine processors. The VID pin definitions of Coppermine Slot1 processors are also often not recognised by those boards.

That being said if you were to run socket 370 Coppermines in slotkets jumpered to request 2V for the core I would be interested if the board would still refuse to run them.

Spent some time trying different slotkets with adjustable voltages.
Same result =(
The board "posts" and reports seeing my P3-700E (it even names it correctly) but then halts with a "CPU not supported on this board revision".