VOGONS

486 PSU questions

Topic actions

First post, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've been trying to get into the "486 game". I'm not familiar with this older hardware.

After a string of failures with a number of different motherboards, I noticed that my at PSU is only 150w. Documentation for my board (EFA CORPORATION 4MHL3S) is pretty sparse.

I pulled the PSU from a 386 machine. It powers the 386sx-16 board just fine.

So my question is, What is the typical power range for a 486 board? Do these AT PSUs work differently to modern ATX PSUs? I'm not going to fry my board if I move to a higher voltage, right?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 20, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unlikely. There's no way that a 486 mobo on its own is going to overload an AT PSU that can supply 15A on the +5V rail!

The very first thing to check is to see if any of the power rails on the mobo are shorted (typically due to a blown tanalum capacitor). If there's a short the PSU won't start up.

Grab a multimeter and check the pins on the mobo's P8/P9 power connectors. Measure resistance between GND and each of the rails: +5V, +12V, -5V, and -12V. If there is a short (or anything less than ~100 ohms) then you're probably dealing with a blown tantalum on that rail. It most commonly happens on +12V and -12V.

Reply 2 of 20, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An entire 486 PC probably doesn't need more than 50 - 60W (assuming a common configuration with 1 HDD, 1 or 2 FDDs and maybe a CD drive). So 150W should be plenty.

Additionally, your PSU is branded Emacs, those are made by Zippy if I remember correctly. In that case, it should be a very good quality unit (for hardware from that era of course).

Reply 3 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've 2 PSU's that are original to the system, a 150w in what was originally a VLB DX2/50 and a 230w in what was originally a PCI DX2/66 (now a POD 83 and 586 133 respectively)
So would expect the 386's PSU to be just fine.

But yes a modern PSU will be fine, the +5v rail will be weaker then older PSU's, not an issue on a 486
-5v missing altogether only an issue if you have one of the below cards
ISA Cards & Devices Requiring -5V

Reply 4 of 20, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Make sure to properly plug the at connector to the motherboard by the way, you can easily plug them in reverse and fry your board.

When turning on the PSU, make sure that the cables that go to the button are properly insulated from you, because there is high voltage AC in here.

Other than this, it should work fine.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 20, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aublak wrote on 2020-10-17, 01:43:

Thanks guys.

I'm just trying to figure out why none of my 486 builds aren't working.

Do you have a hard drive or cd-rom drive connected to the power supply in addition to the motherboard? You probably need one. Is the power supply fan spinning?

I have the manual to that 4DMU-HL3S if I can get it scanned. You can also use the GOEFA program here to get the jumper settings. http://web.archive.org/web/20040810192912/htt … oad/jumpers.htm, you need a version of windows that can run 16-bit programs.

Reply 7 of 20, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, I see 30-pin (narrow) memory SIMMs in your picture, but then there is another one next to it that might be 72-pin (wide).
For the 30-pins, you have to fill all four slots with the same kind. On a 386SX those only need to be in pairs. The 72-pin ones can go in as singles.

Reply 8 of 20, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-10-17, 03:03:

The 72-pin ones can go in as singles.

Too add to that comment: A lot of 486 mainboards fail in surprising ways if you use EDO RAMs. All of them accept FPM (the non-EDO variant of 72-pin SIMMs), though.

The most basic test for a 486 board is to power it up with just the processor and the speaker connected to the main board. No RAM, no cards. Nearly all BIOSes emit a simple beeping pattern (continuous beep or repeated long beeps) in that case. If it does not, check that the processor is oriented the right way and fully inserted in the socket, and that you did not forget to close the ZIF lever. If you get a beep without RAM, the next step is to insert some RAM. The beeping pattern should change to a more complex pattern (like long-short-short for Award or 8 beeps for AMI) to tell you that no working video card is inserted. If the pattern does not change when you insert the RAM, the BIOS fails to initialize it, which might be due to broken RAM, incompatible RAM, bad RAM jumper settings, or a broken mainboard. It seems the mainboard you posted in the initial post does not have jumpers to configure memory banks, but there are 486 mainboards which need different jumper settings depending on which banks are populated.

Reply 9 of 20, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2020-10-17, 11:43:

Too add to that comment: A lot of 486 mainboards fail in surprising ways if you use EDO RAMs. All of them accept FPM (the non-EDO variant of 72-pin SIMMs), though.

The most basic test for a 486 board is to power it up with just the processor and the speaker connected to the main board. No RAM, no cards. Nearly all BIOSes emit a simple beeping pattern (continuous beep or repeated long beeps) in that case. If it does not, check that the processor is oriented the right way and fully inserted in the socket, and that you did not forget to close the ZIF lever. If you get a beep without RAM, the next step is to insert some RAM. The beeping pattern should change to a more complex pattern (like long-short-short for Award or 8 beeps for AMI) to tell you that no working video card is inserted. If the pattern does not change when you insert the RAM, the BIOS fails to initialize it, which might be due to broken RAM, incompatible RAM, bad RAM jumper settings, or a broken mainboard. It seems the mainboard you posted in the initial post does not have jumpers to configure memory banks, but there are 486 mainboards which need different jumper settings depending on which banks are populated.

I have one of the same boards the OP is using and I remember running into an issue where it didn't beep when no RAM was in. Of course, I could have had something else messed up at the same time. Also, it seems sometimes those who didn't grow up with this stuff refer to all 72-pin SIMMs as EDO, so unless the OP has checked the chip datasheets I wouldn't bet on it.

I've wondered what it is about EDO that breaks these old pre-EDO boards though? Reading about it I thought it was supposed to be backward compatible. Is it an issue that only arises because a 486 board has both cache chips and RAM connected to the data lines at the same time?

Reply 10 of 20, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2020-10-17, 11:43:

Too add to that comment: A lot of 486 mainboards fail in surprising ways if you use EDO RAMs.

Yeah, this is how my 4DPS works with EDO RAM (when it actually manages to display anything on the screen):

edo4dps.jpg
Filename
edo4dps.jpg
File size
267.37 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
Filename
2-1_bootblock.mp3
File size
104.93 KiB
Downloads
29 downloads
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

and there are some different results ocasionally: 4DPS BIOS problems? All 3 UV-EPROM chips suddenly got bad?

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 11 of 20, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-10-17, 19:33:

I have one of the same boards the OP is using and I remember running into an issue where it didn't beep when no RAM was in. Of course, I could have had something else messed up at the same time. Also, it seems sometimes those who didn't grow up with this stuff refer to all 72-pin SIMMs as EDO, so unless the OP has checked the chip datasheets I wouldn't bet on it.

I've wondered what it is about EDO that breaks these old pre-EDO boards though? Reading about it I thought it was supposed to be backward compatible. Is it an issue that only arises because a 486 board has both cache chips and RAM connected to the data lines at the same time?

No one mentioned EDO in this thread before me - I just mentioned it because this issue pops up regularly. And of course, EDOs are meant to be mostly compatible to FPM, but if they did behave exactly the same way, they would be FPM modules, not EDO modules. Specifically, this is the issue with EDO RAMs, which is exposed by a design choice in the 72-pin SIMM standard that turned out to be not that good with the advent of EDO SIMMs:

All modules (EDO and FPM) are 100% compatible to standard, non-page-mode RAM chips (they died like around 1988), because the "fast page mode" and EDO (also known as "hyper page mode") mode use access patterns, that are forbidden on non-page-mode RAMs. A non-page-mode read cycle works like this:

1. The memory controller puts the row number on the address pins
  2. The memory controller asserts /RAS (row address strobe)
  3. The memory controller puts the column address on the address pins, replacing the column address
  4. The memory controller asserts /CAS (column address strobe)
  5. The memory chip drives the selected data from the chip to the I/O lines (single-bit data chips have dedicated input and output pins, but wider chips don't)
  6. The memory controller deasserts /CAS
  7. The memory chip stops driving the I/O lines, so they are free for other use
  8. The memory controller deasserts /RAS

This list does not included all the required delays between the steps, because describing all the timing requirements would make that list unreadable. There are two main take-aways from this list, though: First, when the memory controller deasserts /CAS, the next step by the memory controller will be deasserting /RAS. Second, deasserting /CAS causes the data to disappear from the data lines.

Now, introducing the "(fast) page mode" read cycle:

3. The memory controller puts the column address on the address pins, replacing the column address
  5. The memory chip drives the selected data from the chip to the I/O lines (single-bit data chips have dedicated input and output pins, but wider chips don't)
  8. The memory controller places a new column number on the address lines
  9. The memory controller asserts /CAS
  10. The memory chip drives the new selected data from the chip to the I/O lines
  11. The memory controller deasserts /CAS
  12. The memory chip stops driving the I/O lines, so they are free for other use
  13. The memory controller deasserts /RAS

The bold-faced steps are the additional steps to read another column from the same row (which is called "page" in this context for some unknown reason). Obviously, this is way faster than doing two complete cycles. This breaks with the first of the two observations on the non-paged cycles: In this case, the memory controller has the choice to not deassert /RAS, but re-assert /CAS after de-asserting /CAS. Chipsets starting with 286 chipsets kept /RAS asserted for some time after a memory cycle, so that if the processor requested another byte from the same row (aka page) in the next active memory cycle, it could be served in a "fast" way.

Later, system designers found out that this scheme has a limitation: Memory manufacturers specify a minimum time /CAS must be deasserted between cycles (they call it CAS recovery time). To get the maximum throughput, /CAS must thus be deasserted quite quickly after asserting /CAS, so that /CAS may be reasserted quickly. On the other hand, when deasserting /CAS, the memory chip must stop sending out the data to the bus, so /CAS must be kept asserted until the processor accepted the data. To increase performance, the access pattern was modified in a way that the reading of data by the processor may overlap with the memory chip preparing for a new column address. To achieve this, the point in time when the memory chip stops driving the data lines is no longer "when /CAS gets deasserted", but "when /RAS gets deasserted"! This means the processor can read the data while /CAS is high. As the time the data is output to the bus is extended, this modified pattern is called "extended data out" (EDO).

As explained in the paragraph before, starting with 286 chipsets, /RAS can be kept asserted even after a memory cycle ends (speculating for a "page hit" where the next cycle accesses the same page). If you replace FPM chips by EDO chips, the chips keep asserting data to the bus, so a bus conflict arises if a non-memory-cycle is performed while /RAS is still asserted. In case of cache-based systems (later 386 systems, nearly all 486 systems), cache-hits are cycles that can be perfomed while /RAS on the memory is still asserted. This is why EDO chips can break systems designed for FPM.

RAM chip designers were well aware of the problem that asserting data to a bidirectional bus depending on the chip state may cause issues (e.g. if a memory controller sends row and column addresses of a pending cycle while the data bits are still busy transferring data into a slow device), so they added an /OE (output enable) pin to the RAM chips, such that de-asserting /OE always makes the chip stop driving data to bus, no matter what the memory access timing protocol implies about outputting data. PC designers on the other hand found out that de-asserting /CAS happens naturally after a memory access, and this will cause the bus to get free, so they decided that the chipset does not need to drive the /OE signal; thus the /OE signal can be asserted permanently. This decision was driven by the pin count limit on standard IC cases at that time. Saving a pin for /OE for the RAM, and not needing to route a trace was a win for everyone. The consequence is that neither 30-pin SIMMs, not 72-pin SIMMs have an /OE signal, as it was not needed when these pinouts were defined.

Now that there are EDO modules, being able to remove /OE would be important to free up the bus while keeping a "page open" (keeping /RAS asserted), but it's impossible with SIMMs (EDO DIMMs added the missing signal). There are different ways to deal with that limitation, like introducing a three-state buffer between the RAM and the local bus that can be used to prevent RAM data being driven to the bus or by closing pages earlier such that conflicts on the bus are avoided (e.g. close a page not only on a cache-miss cycle that is a page miss at the same time, but also closing RAM pages when a cache hit occurs). EDO-compatible 486 mainboards have to employ one of these compensation methods to cope with the missing /OE pin at the SIMM socket. Some chipsets help with built-in support in the chipset, whereas other chipsets (like the SiS 496/497) require /OE to work to be EDO compatible.

Reply 12 of 20, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2020-10-17, 21:33:

No one mentioned EDO in this thread before me - I just mentioned it because this issue pops up regularly. And of course, EDOs are meant to be mostly compatible to FPM, but if they did behave exactly the same way, they would be FPM modules, not EDO modules. Specifically, this is the issue with EDO RAMs, which is exposed by a design choice in the 72-pin SIMM standard that turned out to be not that good with the advent of EDO SIMMs:

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I was trying to read the wikipedia DRAM page in addition to an old 4116 datasheet and your explanation is much more logical. In particular I can't keep straight assert vs. de-assert vs. high vs. low when it's active-low so it's reversed but maybe not if it's already accounted for in the terminology so...... you get the idea.

I believe I read some of the OP's previous threads and that's where I remember the EDO mix-up being.

The explanation makes sense with a lot of the intuition I had. IIRC EDOs are acceptable in things like old laser printers that accept SIMMs, and that makes sense since they wouldn't have a cache getting in the way. And as you say the EDO-compatible boards would either need a "clutch pedal" (buffer) to disconnect the EDO RAM's data outputs while it accesses the cache, or to de-optimize page mode DRAM access somewhat by (potentially prematurely) restoring RAS# to high to force the DRAM to release its outputs before accessing cache.

Pentium boards that accept 72-pin SIMMs would also need those workarounds, right? And I also wonder if EDO-compatible 486 boards actually use the more aggressive timing that EDO allows or if they are merely EDO-compatible. I remember feipoa finding that EDO RAM was no faster on a UM8881F board.

Reply 13 of 20, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-10-17, 22:19:

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I was trying to read the wikipedia DRAM page in addition to an old 4116 datasheet and your explanation is much more logical. In particular I can't keep straight assert vs. de-assert vs. high vs. low when it's active-low so it's reversed but maybe not if it's already accounted for in the terminology so...... you get the idea.

Get used to "assert" vs. "de-assert", it's worth it! "assert" always means "put into the state that is called active", and "deassert" always means "put into the state that is called inactive". The other clearly defined term pair is "raise"/"lower". "raise" always means "make high" and "lower" always means "make low". So if you assert an active-low signal, you lower it. If you assert an active-high signal, you raise it.

Avoid the terms "enable" or "activate" for raising or lowering. It's unclear whether the authors means them in the sense of "assert" or in the sense of "raise". On the other hand, do use "enable" if you talking about high-impedance ("tristate") / data actively driven. In that case "enable" always mean "drive" and "disable" always means "stop driving". So if you "assert" (i.e. lower) /OE, you "enable" the output pins.

Reply 14 of 20, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I've been testing all of my boards with EDO/FPM/30-pin sticks.

All of the boards that I have now.
-EPA Corp 4MHL3S https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/E/E … 486-4MHL3S.html
-M918i also known as: PcChips M918i, Amptron DX-9300 https://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/486pci/m918i.htm
-Some unknown 386SX/16 board (this one works for me, but its not a 486)

Have but cannot test now
-Epox GXA486SPM (No BIOS chip) https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Epox/m … uals/486spm.pdf
-FIRST INTERNATIONAL COMPUTER, INC. 486-GVT-2 (No BIOS chip, but I am waiting for a potential ROM dump from pan069) https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/F/F … -486-GVT-2.html

I had some other 486 boards, but I returned them to the recycler. So they are ancient history now.

Attachments

• IMG_20201013_212305.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20201013_212305.jpg
    File size
    1.85 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    486-GVT-2
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20200916_145405.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200916_145405.jpg
    File size
    1.71 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Epox GXA486SPM
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20200924_233719.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200924_233719.jpg
    File size
    1.83 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    unknown 386SX/16 board
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20201012_080757.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20201012_080757.jpg
    File size
    1.96 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    M918i
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20201013_213243.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20201013_213243.jpg
    File size
    1.56 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    4MHL3S
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 16 of 20, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mkarcher wrote on 2020-10-17, 21:33:
No one mentioned EDO in this thread before me - I just mentioned it because this issue pops up regularly. And of course, EDOs ar […]
Show full quote
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-10-17, 19:33:

All modules (EDO and FPM) are 100% compatible to standard, non-page-mode RAM chips (they died like around 1988), because the "fast page mode" and EDO (also known as "hyper page mode") mode use access patterns, that are forbidden on non-page-mode RAMs. A non-page-mode read cycle works like this:

8. The memory controller deasserts /RAS

This list does not included all the required delays between the steps, because describing all the timing requirements would make that list unreadable. There are two main take-aways from this list, though: First, when the memory controller deasserts /CAS, the next step by the memory controller will be deasserting /RAS. Second, deasserting /CAS causes the data to disappear from the data lines.

Now, introducing the "(fast) page mode" read cycle:

8. The memory controller places a new column number on the address lines
  9. The memory controller asserts /CAS
  10. The memory chip drives the new selected data from the chip to the I/O lines
  11. The memory controller deasserts /CAS
  12. The memory chip stops driving the I/O lines, so they are free for other use
  13. The memory controller deasserts /RAS

The bold-faced steps are the additional steps to read another column from the same row (which is called "page" in this context for some unknown reason). Obviously, this is way faster than doing two complete cycles. This breaks with the first of the two observations on the non-paged cycles: In this case, the memory controller has the choice to not deassert /RAS, but re-assert /CAS after de-asserting /CAS. Chipsets starting with 286 chipsets kept /RAS asserted for some time after a memory cycle, so that if the processor requested another byte from the same row (aka page) in the next active memory cycle, it could be served in a "fast" way.

Later, system designers found out that this scheme has a limitation: Memory manufacturers specify a minimum time /CAS must be deasserted between cycles (they call it CAS recovery time). To get the maximum throughput, /CAS must thus be deasserted quite quickly after asserting /CAS, so that /CAS may be reasserted quickly. On the other hand, when deasserting /CAS, the memory chip must stop sending out the data to the bus, so /CAS must be kept asserted until the processor accepted the data. To increase performance, the access pattern was modified in a way that the reading of data by the processor may overlap with the memory chip preparing for a new column address. To achieve this, the point in time when the memory chip stops driving the data lines is no longer "when /CAS gets deasserted", but "when /RAS gets deasserted"! This means the processor can read the data while /CAS is high. As the time the data is output to the bus is extended, this modified pattern is called "extended data out" (EDO).

As explained in the paragraph before, starting with 286 chipsets, /RAS can be kept asserted even after a memory cycle ends (speculating for a "page hit" where the next cycle accesses the same page). If you replace FPM chips by EDO chips, the chips keep asserting data to the bus, so a bus conflict arises if a non-memory-cycle is performed while /RAS is still asserted. In case of cache-based systems (later 386 systems, nearly all 486 systems), cache-hits are cycles that can be perfomed while /RAS on the memory is still asserted. This is why EDO chips can break systems designed for FPM.

RAM chip designers were well aware of the problem that asserting data to a bidirectional bus depending on the chip state may cause issues (e.g. if a memory controller sends row and column addresses of a pending cycle while the data bits are still busy transferring data into a slow device), so they added an /OE (output enable) pin to the RAM chips, such that de-asserting /OE always makes the chip stop driving data to bus, no matter what the memory access timing protocol implies about outputting data. PC designers on the other hand found out that de-asserting /CAS happens naturally after a memory access, and this will cause the bus to get free, so they decided that the chipset does not need to drive the /OE signal; thus the /OE signal can be asserted permanently. This decision was driven by the pin count limit on standard IC cases at that time. Saving a pin for /OE for the RAM, and not needing to route a trace was a win for everyone. The consequence is that neither 30-pin SIMMs, not 72-pin SIMMs have an /OE signal, as it was not needed when these pinouts were defined.

Now that there are EDO modules, being able to remove /OE would be important to free up the bus while keeping a "page open" (keeping /RAS asserted), but it's impossible with SIMMs (EDO DIMMs added the missing signal). There are different ways to deal with that limitation, like introducing a three-state buffer between the RAM and the local bus that can be used to prevent RAM data being driven to the bus or by closing pages earlier such that conflicts on the bus are avoided (e.g. close a page not only on a cache-miss cycle that is a page miss at the same time, but also closing RAM pages when a cache hit occurs). EDO-compatible 486 mainboards have to employ one of these compensation methods to cope with the missing /OE pin at the SIMM socket. Some chipsets help with built-in support in the chipset, whereas other chipsets (like the SiS 496/497) require /OE to work to be EDO compatible.

It would have been easier to say that EDO needs BIOS and chipset support for the longer Extended DATA window versus FPM with it's shorter window. But hey all the extra info is useful !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 17 of 20, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-10-18, 00:16:

could you take a picture of the 4MHL3S in the exact setup you're using when trying to power it on and operate it?

Cosmetically, the board is in great shape. I can't find anything wrong with it.

I have a bag full of 72-pin ram, but I can only identify a handful of it.

This is my last configuration. Used all of the ram I had on it.

Here's a chart of my config https://imgur.com/a/Z6jzpGv

Attachments

Reply 18 of 20, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aublak wrote on 2020-10-18, 01:36:
Cosmetically, the board is in great shape. I can't find anything wrong with it. […]
Show full quote

Cosmetically, the board is in great shape. I can't find anything wrong with it.

I have a bag full of 72-pin ram, but I can only identify a handful of it.

This is my last configuration. Used all of the ram I had on it.

Here's a chart of my config https://imgur.com/a/Z6jzpGv

You have the external battery connector on backward, pin 1 is red
I think you should have JP1 open (the one right next to the keyboard port) to make it use an external battery. I can't see it on the latest picture but on one of the earlier ones there was still a jumper on it.
JP18 (between two of the VLB slots) need not be closed since you're 33 MHz, although this won't stop it from booting.

None of this stuff should prevent it from booting though 🙁
In fact, I believe this board works fine with no battery attached at all.
One of those 16MB 72-pin SIMMs should work fine; I have a similar simm working in my version of this board. Just might have to push hard to make sure it latches in place.
You said you use the same video card on a 386, right?
Is that 486DX2-66 your only 486 cpu and if so you're sure it's good?

And don't think you mentioned - when powering this on, the power supply fan spins and nothing happens, or the power supply refuses to come on?

Reply 19 of 20, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another thing to try is put the board on a flash hard surface and push down on both ends of the AMIBIOS chip with both thumbs--may feel it snap back down into place if it needs reseated