VOGONS

First post, by Parni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I have the following card (see picture below), I browsed the web for drivers but could not find anything. I haven't yet connected in to my vintage setup but assumable it will need some kind of DOS drivers?
Does anyone have any info of this card?

s-l300.jpg
Filename
s-l300.jpg
File size
15.52 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, good morning! 😀
I could be wrong, but I believe this gameport card works the same as a gameport on a soundcard.

It simply splits up the gameport into two connectors, just like the original game adapter from IBM did in the 80s.

That way, two players can use a basic joystick.
It may don't have a speed compensation, though. Some later game cards had a little trim pot that was handy for faster machines.

Anyway, I think DOS games talk directly to the card (port 201h) just like they do with VGA..
That being said, there might have been a diskette with utilities included, originally.
Might be interesting to find out!

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No drivers, this is DOS, software talks directly to hardware. If your game supports dual (gameport) joysticks, it will work. Can confirm that a basically identical card worked fine for me with OMF2097 and two Gravis Gamepads.

Reply 4 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Parni wrote on 2020-10-19, 07:16:

Ok, thanks for the info. Just wondering do I benefit anything of this card if I have a gameport on my soundcard and another one in my I/O card?

If a game supports dual controllers on the same port I/O (and you want/need that), this can deliver it, where two separate ones can't.

If you're not using two controllers it's just another chance to get a resource conflict. Also some people report these things could be more speed-sensitive than single ports - although that's not my experience, mine worked fine up to K6-3+@600MHz (never tried beyond that, so maybe faster would be OK too).