VOGONS

Varta Cure

Topic actions

First post, by kane198021

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Retro Fans!

I just wanted to let everyone know that I just put a new PCB schematic onto GitHub. I'm releasing it under GNU of of here and now. I know that there are hacks that have been done to accomplish this, but this design might add some elegance and/or simplicity to anybody's 286, 386, or Amiga 500. It could possibly work with other systems that have the dreaded Varta crust generator. Here's the link:

https://github.com/kane198021/Varta-Cure

Just a word of caution: I'm not responsible for any damages derived from the use of this design. It's also may not be quite to scale, so if there is any messaging needed, please use KiCAD. That's the program that I used to create it. The idea for this was to run wires from the motherboard (or in the case of the Amiga 500, connected from the RAM expansion card) to my Varta Cure board. If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Reply 1 of 8, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have any pics to give an idea of what your implementation involves? Personally I'm looking at either ML2032 + socket or a Lithium ion battery when I replace batteries, but am interested to know more. I can't produce PCBs myself, and am too old to start getting into it (although I do know how, from jobs in the 80s).

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe a bit more documentation would be in order, if only a BOM for what is needed on top of the PCB. Just looking at the PCB I'd say it's a CR-2032 battery adapter to fit onto the pins of the typical Varta barrel. However the Vartas are rechargeable and CR-2032 isn't, so either it would need an LR-2032 (which is rechargeable) or it would need a diode in combination with the CR-2032. Assumedly the pins in the top left are for such a diode. Problem there is that the CR-2032 already has lower voltage (3.3V) than the 3.6V barrels, with the extra voltage drop of the diode it wouldn't be able to hold settings on all boards. Not sure how the design would solve that...

Reply 4 of 8, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ML2032 is rechargeable as well

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 6 of 8, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice idea, however as @dionb already said, unfortunately this solution will not work in many mainboards. I mean it would be great to have a universal drop-in replacement like you propose, but there is this issue with the voltage drop. I do modify many mainboards, installing CR2032 there and I always have to watch out for the diodes and resistors which already located on the mainboard. Sometimes you have to modify the circuit on the mainboard itself to get the voltage up again. However, for some mainboards this solution will perfectly work.

My Youtube channel Necroware

Reply 7 of 8, by kane198021

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As was my intention , Scorp. It's not meant to be a "one size fits all" type of solution, but my idea behind it was to attach wires via pin headers from the new PCB to the mainboard, also via single pin headers. The very last step is to attach either double sided foam tape or Velcro (which would be the better option, imo) between the PCB and a suitable place inside the machine that it gets installed into. This was to provide as much flexibility as possible.

I have also intended those who are interested to go ahead and download the zip file from GitHub and tweak it to there tastes. The top left of the Varta Cure is indeed meant to be for a diode (I didn't state what type in order to leave that discretion to the end user) or a 1x02 pin header for a jumper to make a no resistance connection. Of course, someone could just install a straight wire into that same spot.

Reply 8 of 8, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just as a suggestion, some documentation on github would help people to understand the intention of your module. All the things, which been said here belong into that documentation. Just to say some of the points:
1) what is it for
2) when is it not applicable
3) known issues
4) BOM

May be more?

My Youtube channel Necroware