VOGONS

Reply 120 of 161, by unirule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently upgraded from my S3 2805 to a Geforce one and after getting (most) of the driver differences figured out I now have to address the elephant in the room about mine.
There is a dead horizontal line going across the LCD screen. Curiously, the rest of the screen works fine.
Does anyone here know what Toshiba laptops parts-binned the same 15 inch(?) screens or what generic new old stock screens, if any, fit this machine?
My previous laptop has the smaller variant of the screen with 32-bit color and I don't know if that would transfer.
I'd like to avoid cannibalizing a Satellite Pro 4600 if possible.

Reply 121 of 161, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
unirule wrote on 2023-09-01, 17:44:

Does anyone here know what Toshiba laptops parts-binned the same 15 inch(?) screens or what generic new old stock screens, if any, fit this machine?

I think it's 14", not 15"

Sharp LQ141X1LH43
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185914898703

or

Samsung LT141X6-122 (but not sure about LT141X6-122NT)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134330402029

LTN141X7-L06 from 4600 looks compatible too

Did you replace the installed S3 with a GeForce? What is the part number of GeForce? I thought video chip integrated in motherboard.

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 122 of 161, by jnnelson79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
I recently upgraded from my S3 2805 to a Geforce one and after getting (most) of the driver differences figured out I now have t […]
Show full quote

I recently upgraded from my S3 2805 to a Geforce one and after getting (most) of the driver differences figured out I now have to address the elephant in the room about mine.
There is a dead horizontal line going across the LCD screen. Curiously, the rest of the screen works fine.
My previous laptop has the smaller variant of the screen with 32-bit color and I don't know if that would transfer.

That’s incredible! I’d love to upgrade my S3 to GeForce. Is it just swapping a chip, or a whole board? I haven’t seen much info on this, but I have seen the GeForce chips in a few places.

Reply 123 of 161, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first 2805 with gf2 came with dead screen. I took a working lcd from 15inch s3 2805 and it worked fine. Fully compatible.

Take a note that s3 doesn’t feature card reader slot, so I’m not sure that mb is fully swappable between two. But I also don’t think it’s a theme of discussion cause you more likely find a whole 2805 with gf2 rather than just a mobo.

Reply 124 of 161, by unirule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry if the phrasing was confusing guys, I mean that I got a "for parts" S402 in addition to my other unit which was an S202 with S3 Graphics, a smaller screen, no smartmedia or firewire, etc.
The other unit is fine but this one has thinner screen borders and a bad screen. It otherwise posts normally.
In software everything seems to work properly except for Fast Tracker 2 (fails on "system interrupt" in the stock dosbox every time) and 3 drivers (pci card, pci ethernet, pci firewire) missing in device manager.

Reply 125 of 161, by unirule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vorob wrote on 2023-09-01, 19:03:

My first 2805 with gf2 came with dead screen. I took a working lcd from 15inch s3 2805 and it worked fine. Fully compatible.

Take a note that s3 doesn’t feature card reader slot, so I’m not sure that mb is fully swappable between two. But I also don’t think it’s a theme of discussion cause you more likely find a whole 2805 with gf2 rather than just a mobo.

Do you have any idea what model that 15 inch panel is?

Reply 127 of 161, by jnnelson79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
unirule wrote on 2023-09-01, 20:08:

Sorry if the phrasing was confusing guys, I mean that I got a "for parts" S402 in addition to my other unit which was an S202 with S3 Graphics, a smaller screen, no smartmedia or firewire, etc.
The other unit is fine but this one has thinner screen borders and a bad screen. It otherwise posts normally.
In software everything seems to work properly except for Fast Tracker 2 (fails on "system interrupt" in the stock dosbox every time) and 3 drivers (pci card, pci ethernet, pci firewire) missing in device manager.

Ah! Makes sense! I’ve been looking for one for a long time. They’re so rare, it seems, or I’m not searching for the right things. I just scored a working Toshiba Satellite Pro 400CDT, which is also fairly rare, but no S402 yet. Hope you get yours fixed! There are some online laptop parts stores thaf still carry some parts for older machines.

Reply 128 of 161, by unirule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got a "Sharp LQ150X1LH63" replacement screen in the mail and just have some questions before I tear the machine apart.
What do I use on the hinges as lubricant? I am guessing lithium grease but I haven't bought anything yet.
Also how far apart do I need to take the hinges to clean them all the way, and how do I do that? Scrub the old gunk with a cheap manual toothbrush?

Reply 129 of 161, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
unirule wrote on 2023-09-11, 21:39:

What do I use on the hinges as lubricant? Also how far apart do I need to take the hinges to clean them all the way, and how do I do that?

First, I recommend cheap method, just spray them outside WD-40, I did this half year ago and mine Libretto hinges still in perfect condition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrnHCvRSPz4

Reply 130 of 161, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used some PTFE lubricant with the hinges mounted in a vice, working them back and forward spraying the WD-40 PTFE lubricant eventually worked out the black original grease.
Check out this method too - 80386sx made a good video on restoring some Compaq hinges which have a similar issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaAdoTKhnGs
Heating the hinges up makes the metal expand allowing some space for fresh oil to get into

Reply 131 of 161, by unirule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So as of right now I have both of my 2805s completely apart. The screen replacement I plugged into the new unit works great, so that's nice.
The problem is now that I have to figure out what to do with the hinges. My plan before was to take the ones already in the machine, add WD40, scrub it clean, wait for that to evaporate, use something that wont evaporate (lithium grease or silicone brake lube), and put that all back together.
There was one roadblock however. It turns out the reason the hinges on this geforce unit were more stiff than the 14" S202 was because they *snapped apart inside the machine*.
So now I have to move the hinges from my smaller screened unit into this one, leaving that machine permanently on the shelf.
Anyone have a guide in more detail on how to convert the old style hinges to the larger screen? Do I need to dremel them and drill holes? That thought does kinda suck but I will do it if I need to.
Attached below is a picture of both sets for comparison.

Attachments

Last edited by unirule on 2023-09-22, 06:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 132 of 161, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The hinges should still be usable once they're loosened off, my Satellite 2800-500 has the lower mount broken off just like the one in the left of your picture, I put some thin steel with holes drilled over the hinge and screwed that together, which holds up pretty well.
I'm not sure if the right one was as broken as yours is, but just some extra material holding it in place should give it some more strength.
The screw mounts being damaged is quite typical for a lot of these, you can sometimes rebuild the screw mounts by re-melting the plastic holding them with a soldering iron ~250c, or use epoxy.

Personally I wouldn't try converting the hinges since the screw mounts on the screen side look quite different

Reply 133 of 161, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
unirule wrote on 2023-09-15, 21:30:

Anyone have a guide in more detail on how to convert the old style hinges to the larger screen?

Theoretically yes, you can! Using grinder, dremel, drill bits to convert new hinges close to old. I have successful experience in the past.

Reply 134 of 161, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
I recently upgraded from my S3 2805 to a Geforce one and after getting (most) of the driver differences figured out I now have t […]
Show full quote

Just replaced a bad screen on a Satellite 2800-500 which originally had a Samsung LT150X3-132 but I couldn't get any replacement Samsung that could match, the LTN150X3-124 seems the same but has a different CCFL connector.
Instead I went for an LQ150X1LH62 since the 'LH63 is apparently the right one. This was 'new' from a UK seller and I'm pretty sure it's not new but has been refreshed.
They're all 20-pin LVDS 15.0" 1024x768 screens and Toshiba didn't do anything weird with the pinout, so pretty much as long as the LVDS connector is the right size / pin count it should work. The only awkward thing is that they've used a larger / older style 3-pin 2-wires inverter power connector where by this time most LCDs were using the smaller 2-pin connector.

Really odd actually, this LQ150X1LH62 is a shiny / glare type LCD and I don't think it's supposed to be, looking online it's supposed to have an anti-glare coating. I think like the 'new old stock' Toshiba LTM10C021 LCD I bought a while back, this LCD has been fixed up with a new CCFL and new polariser.
Going with this generic LCD rather than the Toshiba one did mean I had to cut the backlight cable off the original and solder it the new one:

IMG_1951 (Custom).JPG
Filename
IMG_1951 (Custom).JPG
File size
350.02 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It seems I really like the sharper look of the glare type screen for this type of laptop 😀

edit: Looking at the cable connector on the mainboard side, I'd bet that the display could output 1400x1050 with dual LVDS but really not worth doing since it'd need a new cable and maybe bios changes. Probably some of the Japanese models got the higher res though.

Reply 135 of 161, by unirule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2023-09-21, 00:38:

edit: Looking at the cable connector on the mainboard side, I'd bet that the display could output 1400x1050 with dual LVDS but really not worth doing since it'd need a new cable and maybe bios changes. Probably some of the Japanese models got the higher res though.

Oh they very explcitly did, it's in the ad for the japanese version (google translated below).
Once again Japan keeps their top shelf stuff right at home. Anyone at home whose google-fu extends to yahoo auctions now has a really big fish to go after.

Attachments

Reply 136 of 161, by pioner666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings everyone, new to this forum.
I am using a 2800-600 with windows xp. Tried to put RAM so-dimm pc133 512mb, but the notebook did not want to start giving the message "Please remove the incompatible memory module in slot", while the module so-dimm pc133 256mb works well, but dropped to frequency pc100. Not enough bandwidth to watch h264 720p(
I managed to run forceware 60.85 on my system, attached 3dmark 99,2000,2001 results.
https://imgur.com/a/InC3m0u

Reply 137 of 161, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, a fully boxed version of the 2805 model has appeared on AVITO in Russia for only 160 USD. Although I won't purchase it, it's great that we have pictures to see.

https://www.avito.ru/moskva/noutbuki/noutbuk_ … deal_3429147648

7.jpg
Filename
7.jpg
File size
68.04 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
141.47 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
5.jpg
Filename
5.jpg
File size
58.63 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
253.72 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
162.66 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 139 of 161, by jnnelson79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vorob wrote on 2024-02-06, 16:40:

Anyone remember the specs of RTC battery in our laptop? Wanna buy a new one.

After searching part numbers, I found this one on Amazon of all places.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XD25BCK/ … e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't had time to install it yet, but the part numbers matched what I found. after my research.