VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have some larger hard PATA hard drives and that made me wonder if they could be used in retro PCs. I know the bios size limitations of 528MB with 386 and 486 PCs. I also know about size limitations in win98 with newer retro PCs.
If I were to put a 500GB PATA hard drive into a 386 or 486 PC would even EZ-drive be able to do anything with it? Would I even be able to use part of the hard drive in dos with EZ-drive?
Same with win98se, would I be able to use even the first 127GB of the hard drive there or if it would not just work at all?

I know it is wasting lots of space, but I think there are some advantages like the newer hard drive might be bit more reliable and less noisy and I really don't have any other use for them.

Reply 1 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For windows you need LBA48 patched HDD driver or things beyond 128GB get corrupted when written to, many BIOSes also have LBA48 limits and it will cause corruption the same way. I don't know if EZ-Drive is LBA48 capable or not, XTIDE is though.
Without LBA48 support you just make a partition that won't exceed 128GB and things will work as long as the rest is not touched.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 8, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2020-10-19, 21:13:

For windows you need LBA48 patched HDD driver or things beyond 128GB get corrupted when written to, many BIOSes also have LBA48 limits and it will cause corruption the same way. I don't know if EZ-Drive is LBA48 capable or not, XTIDE is though.
Without LBA48 support you just make a partition that won't exceed 128GB and things will work as long as the rest is not touched.

Thanks. I have one more question. Since most of the hard drives seem to be seagate ones, is there any chance to run seatools for dos on a pc that does not have cd-rom drive or if the pc doesn't have booting from cd-rom option? I read that you could limit the hard drive size with seatools as well.

Reply 3 of 8, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can run the Seatools for DOS bootable floppy version. There used to be a image file you could download to create one. Otherwise you can create a bootable DOS floppy and copy the executable to it.

Reply 4 of 8, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jasin Natael wrote on 2020-10-19, 21:35:

You can run the Seatools for DOS bootable floppy version. There used to be a image file you could download to create one. Otherwise you can create a bootable DOS floppy and copy the executable to it.

Thanks. When I did search earlier I was able to only find cd iso image for seatools. Now that I know that floppy version exists I'll try to find that one.

Reply 6 of 8, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's also worth mentioning that some old BIOSes might crash or hang upon seeing a drive that's too big, while others might let you put in settings for a smaller drive and work anyway.
For example, even an old 386 BIOS with no LBA would likely take 1024/16/63 and let you use some 250GB IDE drive as a 528MB.
A late 486 one might let you get away with 16383/15/63 for 7.9 GB or 16320/16/63 for 8.4GB.
I think it's later BIOSes that are either really aggressive at autodetecting, or that won't let you enter manual settings at all. Those are where the 32GB limit, etc. come in.

Reply 8 of 8, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RichardG867 wrote on 2020-10-25, 04:43:

IDE drives tend to have a "capacity limit" jumper to help overcome BIOS limits. My 40GB Maxtor has such a jumper that limits its size down to 32GB. Check your drives' documentation.

Only one that I have seen having such jumper is a 1GB seagate drive that has jumper that allows it to divide in 2 and it showing as 2 drives 512MB master and 512MB slave drive if I remember correctly.