VOGONS

First post, by telecommand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I've been shopping around for a CT2230 SB16 and noticed there is a version that looks slightly different - see below:

CT1745A '92 chip + CT1748A '92 chip:
7a4t2tW.png

CT1745A-S '94 "France" without a CT1748A:
2OZoPT0.png

Anyone know what the differences are between these two versions? Is one preferred over the other? What does the CT1748A do?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a "adsp" iirc. It's almost never used by anything. Both cards should be identical despite one having a "french" chip

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The DSP chip also was known as ASP (Advanced Signal Processor) originally and later, CSP (Creative Signal Processor) - an indication for Creative's steadily increasing narcissism. 😉

It was very interesting, but in the end, only a few games used it. The Win9x drivers can make use of it, though, to lower CPU usage.
And for surround sound (q-sound).

Edit: I agree with Deksor on "ADSP" also.
That would technically be the correct term for such a device.
(Advanced Digital Signal Processor)

https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Creative … _Blaster_16_ASP

The Sound Blaster ASP chip, Q-Sound and Games.

What does the optional CSP chip on creative cards do?

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2012/07/s … ations.html?m=1

"Accelerating" Windows 95 with Creative's Advanced Signal Processor (CSP)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 5, by telecommand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting! Thanks for the replies. So looks like it doesn't really matter if it's there or not given hardly any games used it... any idea if there's a difference with the "French" chip? I'm guessing no difference, just where it was manufactured?

Reply 4 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The CT1745A chip is the mixer. CT1745A-S is a newer version. I read some people saying that the -S is less noisy, but I'm not completely sure there.

Just in general, the chip name is usually more relevant than any other terms printed on it.

Reply 5 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Creative had many manufacturers make the chips for them. That particular mixer chip probably was made by ST, it is the only french manfacturer I know of.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜