VOGONS

First post, by Nick_Arrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got me a Amstrad PC 1512 which I believe have 512 Kb ram installed. Need the system disks (DOS 3.2) first to boot the computer up completely.

The question I have which kind of games can I run on this computer?
Is the games that need OS earlier than DOS 3.2 playable?
Do games that require 64 Kb and 128 KB or even 256 Kb and 384 Kb Ram playable or do these games run way to fast (unplayable) or do they even start?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's just an XT with a slow CGA card so all xt/cga games will work
better upgrade to 640kb if you want to really use it
and also check this: Which Sierra games can use the PC1512.DRV so they have 16colors with an Amstrad 1512 system? (SOLVED!)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 15, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't remember ever running into any games that were compatible, but wouldn't run due to only having 512KB of RAM instead of 640KB.
I do remember the system-supplied boot disk would check a flag in the CMOS and create a ramdisk if it was enabled, which sometimes caused issues.

Reply 4 of 15, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only ever ran across one CGA game that wouldn't run at all on the PC1512 (Astro Dodge, which modifies CRTC registers in a way that the PC1512's CGA implementation doesn't support). The additional speed did make some games more challenging (I was never able to complete Bruce Lee because of this). If you run into software that requires 640kB it shouldn't be difficult to find 64kBit DRAMs to perform the upgrade.

Reply 5 of 15, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It uses a Plantronics video adaptor, IIRC

ETA: No, I was confusing it with the PC 1640, which uses a Paradise EGA clone with Plantronics mode compatibility.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 6 of 15, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
reenigne wrote on 2020-10-25, 07:15:

(I was never able to complete Bruce Lee because of this)

I did, despite not knowing what I was looking at half the time because of the seemingly-designed-for-composite-only graphics.

No such luck with Bubble Bobble, even though I could get through the NES version pretty easily.

Reply 8 of 15, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote on 2020-10-25, 10:56:
reenigne wrote on 2020-10-25, 07:15:

(I was never able to complete Bruce Lee because of this)

I did, despite not knowing what I was looking at half the time because of the seemingly-designed-for-composite-only graphics.

That's weird - the version that I played (with actually came bundled with the Amstrad PC1512) had both composite and RGBI modes.

Reply 9 of 15, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2020-10-25, 11:40:

Does Moonbugs run on it?

I believe so. Though I haven't actually tried it - I no longer had the PC1512 when I learn of that game's existence.

Reply 10 of 15, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
reenigne wrote on 2020-10-25, 11:55:

That's weird - the version that I played (with actually came bundled with the Amstrad PC1512) had both composite and RGBI modes.

It was the bundled version (with Dam Busters, a wrestling game and a spaceship captain sim where you issued orders to crew), it just looked really bad in 4-color CGA. In the later screens it was basically trial and error to find out which areas were safe (ladders/conveyors/etc) or instant death (spikes/electricity/etc) because they all looked identical. Worst of all, the fat sumo guy called "The GREEN Yamo" was completely white!

I definitely had moonbugs as well, but it didn't get played nearly as much as digger.

Reply 12 of 15, by Nick_Arrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. So games like Donkey Kong and Castle Wolfenstein isn't playable because of the speed issue?
Is there a way to know which games that are speed sensitive?
Playing old CGA DOS games is awesome but if they run way to fast everything is ruined...
So is every DOS game from 1981 until 1984 to avoid? I Guess text adventures should be ok?
Just thinking so I know which games to get for the Amstrad 1512 and which ones to avoid because of this.

Thanks!

Reply 13 of 15, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some games have clever coding that corrects for the speed difference, but not many from that era have that.

Other games, although designed for 4.77 MHz, allow you to choose the starting difficulty, where easier difficulty = lower speed. These can also be played OK on faster machines.

Everything else will be too fast. You can try using programs like MOSLO to slow them down, but that will require more memory which may cause other problems (especially on a 512 KB machine).

Also, some games floating around the internet have been hacked to run more slowly.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 15 of 15, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the full, authentic experience, yes. (AT will still be too fast)

Or get a faster machine with a turbo button. When I built my XT I made sure it had this. It uses an 8088-2 CPU running at 8 MHz which can be dropped down to 4.77 MHz when necessary. Otherwise the specs are the same as the PC1512 (CGA with 512 KB RAM).

Is this too much voodoo?