VOGONS

First post, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been researching on here and googling but I am stumped how to get
a joystick to work in dos.

I have a USB joystick as well as old school joystick that connects to the sound card or motherboard.

Is there a driver for this?

I did get my USB mouse to work with a USB to ps2 converter and works awesome

I also have a PCI card that has two joystick ports but not sure what drivers are out there to make this work since it is from a packard bell

any help would be appreciated!

Reply 2 of 14, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Old style analog joysticks don't need any DOS drivers. They just work. You may have to calibrate them in the game though.

(The exception to this are fancy sticks that do some digital trickery over the analog connection, like certain Sidewinder models. These need special software support I believe.)

USB joysticks won't work in DOS.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 3 of 14, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No clue about USB joysticks or PCI game cards in DOS, but for a classic DB-15 that connects to your soundcard's game port you don't need to do anything special. Just make sure that the port is enabled through your soundcard's configuration software. After that no drivers are needed, the games will just use it.

Reply 4 of 14, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.bretjohnson.us/

These drivers may help you.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 5 of 14, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote on 2020-10-29, 21:11:

Old style analog joysticks don't need any DOS drivers. They just work. You may have to calibrate them in the game though.

(The exception to this are fancy sticks that do some digital trickery over the analog connection, like certain Sidewinder models. These need special software support I believe.)

USB joysticks won't work in DOS.

Baoran wrote on 2020-10-29, 21:10:

USB joysticks generally don't work in dos. Normal joysticks with 2-4 buttons that just connect joystick port of a sound card generally work in dos without a driver.

Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-10-29, 19:33:
I have been researching on here and googling but I am stumped how to get a joystick to work in dos. […]
Show full quote

I have been researching on here and googling but I am stumped how to get
a joystick to work in dos.

I have a USB joystick as well as old school joystick that connects to the sound card or motherboard.

Is there a driver for this?

I did get my USB mouse to work with a USB to ps2 converter and works awesome

I also have a PCI card that has two joystick ports but not sure what drivers are out there to make this work since it is from a packard bell

any help would be appreciated!

Cyberdyne wrote on 2020-10-30, 07:22:

Some people are wrong here.

These usb drivers work perfect with all my 4 usb logitech gamepad and logitech dual analog controller on my Pentium 233 mmx and pure dos games on dos 6.22. I played several dos games with this driver. Even 2 players games with 2 controllers work perfect too like Bubble Bobble and the Simpsons arcade game. If needed go to Bret Johnson forum and ask him for help, he will help you. I tested more than 30 dos games. The only ones that dont work are a few dos4gw protected games like Tomb Raider 1, Jazz Jackrabbit and a few others. 80%-90% of dos games i tested with this usb driver work perfect.

Note: Only 4 buttons work for one usb joystick.
Only 2 buttons by joystick if you play a 2 players game with 2 usb joystick. ( The driver has support for more buttons than 4 buttons but i found no game that support that. )

Reply 6 of 14, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

update turns out one of my joysticks was broken. MY other two gamepads worked without drivers. However it would have been nice if it was possible to use some sort of USB to a joystick port adapter or a way to use USB joysticks in general in dos.

I know dos box works but that is different.

I will check out bret johnsons driver pack and report back thanks again fellas

Reply 9 of 14, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-10-30, 17:46:
Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-10-30, 17:31:

Which driver do install ? I see a bunch of dos files and n othing says joysticks, am i missing something?

Yes, yes you are.

ok what am i missing?

Reply 10 of 14, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-10-30, 19:45:

Which driver do install ? I see a bunch of dos files and n othing says joysticks, am i missing something?

Yes, yes you are.

ok what am i missing?

2 things two do.

1. Run USBUHCI.COM

2. Run usbjstick.com

Your usb joystick or gamepad should work now.

For 2 players and 2 usb gamepad in the same time

its better to run USBJSTIK with parameters, you try this: ( for 2 usb gamepad only for 2 players games)

USBJSTIK Map BX J1 A0 Map BY J1 A1 Map B1 J1 B0 Map B2 J1 B1

If usbuhci.com is incompatible with your motherboard you could have trouble to get your usb gamepad working.

Note: use usbjstick version 0.11.
Version 0.12 never work for me. ( 0.12 is a update in his forum)

Note2:
For testing and verification run with /s like this:
usbjstick /s

Reply 11 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-10-30, 19:45:

Yes, yes you are.

ok what am i missing?

The programs are all still in a testing phase (alpha/beta), so do not yet include complete documentation. Read the included USBINTRO.DOC file for documentation and information on how to use the programs.

The zip file contains more than 20 different programs, and includes drivers for keyboards, mice, joysticks, printers, disk drives, and hubs, as well as several different test and support programs.

Reply 12 of 14, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the record, these drivers only work with chipset integrated USB controllers (UHCI: Intel, Via, SiS). Them will not work with PCI cards (OHCI: Nvidia, ALi, TI, NEC, etc) or in USB2 mode (EHCI).

Reply 14 of 14, by czarnikjak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hyoenmadan wrote on 2020-10-31, 02:06:

For the record, these drivers only work with chipset integrated USB controllers (UHCI: Intel, Via, SiS). Them will not work with PCI cards (OHCI: Nvidia, ALi, TI, NEC, etc) or in USB2 mode (EHCI).

Anybody successfully used these drivers with Thrustmaster Firestorm Gamepad? (https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/product/f … dualanalog3-en/)
Cant get it to work 🙁