VOGONS

First post, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone! I did a lot of sound cards test with 2 soundcard in the same system with my differents builds.

But, Is it possible to use a SB16 ct4170 or ct4180 for digital sound and music only and use my Ati FX stereo CD for FM midi synth (Yamaha 262 chip opl3) dos games only ?

Is it possible in the same game to use digital audio from my Ct4170 in the same time that Ati fx stereo cd use FM midi synth for the game music. If yes how i can connect that. Do i have to disable the FM synth of the ct4170? If yes how to do that.

Thanks a lot for answers. I hope you are not confuse. Im confused myself ! 😀
I hope i explain it well.

I try to avoid to buy a fourth opl3 sound card. I have so many retro build. I took a lot of time switching different sound card with my different build while using a pc or another one.

Reply 1 of 3, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you seen UNISOUND? UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b

I believe the CT4170 is PnP, you can use UNISOUND to configure it and just not set the OPL port, or map it to something different.

I can't find much on the Ati FX Stereo CD card, but the pictures that pop up have a YM3812 which is OPL2, not OPL3. The card also looks older, is it non-PnP and just hardcoded to use 388?

Reply 2 of 3, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2020-10-31, 00:02:

Have you seen UNISOUND? UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b

I believe the CT4170 is PnP, you can use UNISOUND to configure it and just not set the OPL port, or map it to something different.

I can't find much on the Ati FX Stereo CD card, but the pictures that pop up have a YM3812 which is OPL2, not OPL3. The card also looks older, is it non-PnP and just hardcoded to use 388?

Ok thanks i will try it. And mine has really the 262 Yamaha chip.

( i think the not " CD " edition has opl2. )

I would like to know if someone did succeed to use only FM from one sound card and digital audio from another one ? Thanks

Reply 3 of 3, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
renejr902 wrote on 2020-10-31, 12:55:

I would like to know if someone did succeed to use only FM from one sound card and digital audio from another one ? Thanks

Using UNISOUND, yes people have done that. I haven't done it yet, but I have a YMF719 coming in a month or so that I'll pair up with a last-gen Vibra 16.

My goal is that the Vibra has SB16 support without DMA clicking or hung MIDI notes, but it doesn't have a real OPL3, and it has the MIDI issue when used with high-quality digital sound (Duke3D, TIE). The Yamaha can do OPL3 but it has some issues (Duke2), as well as up to SBPro support.

Using UNISOUND I can have a few batch files to easily switch between using just one of the cards, or a mix of them.