VOGONS

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Google does not have information on power switch or chassis disable when opened. I need the wiring so I can turn on my bare bone motherboard and processor with own power supply. Does not have case.

Power supply apparently disabled if not met like chassis is open, wiring not hooked up correctly.

Cheers and thanks,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ahh have a few boards like that with "chassis Intrusion", there is a jumper header that needs set to be set for that part (usually hooked to a switch in the case). Not sure about the PSU. Hopefully some else knows something...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 8, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems it's a bit more involved than the usual mb jumper as the chassis & psu are linked by an 'inter-lock' switch which can only be enabled / disabled by a keylock on the inside front bezel. This copy of the ProLiant 1500 Maintenance and Service Guide has some pointers

Filename
169066-001.pdf
File size
595.1 KiB
Downloads
44 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

but for some reason the detailed chapter is missing 🙁 , so here's a screen grab from the 4500 version

CPQ ProLiant Inter-Lock.jpg
Filename
CPQ ProLiant Inter-Lock.jpg
File size
152.17 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Plastic clamshell that held simple switch and power green LED direct from PSU. No else. I was sure.

But I need information on connectors E10, E5 and E11 on the motherboard. These are poorly labeled. E10 says RED P/S.

Cheers,

Reply 5 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CMOS external battery voltage is 4.5V for sure.

Worked on Proliant 1500 project for possible retro gaming setup.

I found a way to modify the processor card to run 66MHz fsb, need a 22 ohm resistor soldered at one location, solder side aka back of board, (R124) on this card according to clock generator datasheet and this works, now reporting 166MHz not 150MHz with either 166 or 200MHz (still reporting 166MHz) Pentium processors. I also have dual processor card but need to make sure BIOS is up to date first.

Had to check the 32MB and 16MB modules that came with this bundle, BIOS was reporting wrong speed at 66MHz fsb. Turns out they were set for presence detect as 70ns and fortunately these 4 modules are using 60ns chips. Will reset them to 60ns instead.

This met my goals! Very happy, Oh yes, works well with PCI cirrus logic video cards of 5430 and 5436. and ISA wd90C31 cards. Will try different cards over the time.

Is this possible that Compaq's processor board is set up as 2.5x permanently? I'd love to set it as 3x or 2x for speed adjustment Have to investigate more.

Majority of the Prosigina and 1500 processor cards are set at fsb 60MHz. Easy to do to mod it to 66MHz. Two pads is there for this.

Update: Regarding the multiplier adjustment, YES!

Wanted to see if I can run pentium at 200MHz and knowing from the question and found the pin BF0 pulled down via R25 at 100 Ohm to ground. Next to this is unpopulated R26 with two pads shared by R25 and R26, which R26 is pulled high from 3.3V plane. So I moved this resistor to R26 and now reports 200MHz.

So you can modify these 60MHz fsb processor cards to this 66MHz fsb for any 100, 133 and 166, 200 processor and gain some performance back.

Make absolutely sure you have 60ns FPM sticks on hand. Otherwise 70ns modules will make bios report using slower modules at your risk.

Many memory sticks that is was for Proliant 1500 are set for 70ns even the chips says 60ns, needs to have presence dectect jumpers on the memory modules modified.

Use this presence detect setup using industry standard setting since compaq and others use this. The one says only "IBM" are for PS/2 computer configuration.

https://www.ardent-tool.com/config/memory_ide … tification.html

Cheers!

Reply 7 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Latest update:

Ahhh how nice to figure out completely on this Proliant 1500! The documentation pdf online is wrong for dip switches. Luckily the configuration disk set has diagram of dip switch and fixed it.

And some head scratching on 1611 fan error because I knew about this, decades ago I picked up the compaq fan which is pre-tach signal era, which is same way as dell's 3 pin fan design which is pull low for good, floating high - failed fan. Signal pin is pulled low through the fan. If there's problem with fan, motherboard internal 5v pull up comes to 5V and give error error. Missed the correct fan connector that gave signal error. Once I figured out and made a test plug with 10 ohm resistor for safety pulls the error signal low on correct fan connector.

Finally Proliant 1500 configured correctly, booted DOS 6.22 without touching the keyboard. 😀

Yay!

Details:
onboard scsi disabled, onboard video disabled (GD5420 512K) and EISA not in use.
Cirrus Logic GD5430 2MB PCI video card.
Bootable firm ware on a 3ware SATA 4 port PCI-X card using one port of four, and a Samsung 160GB SATA.
Dual processor processor card, one Pentium CPU installed at 133MHz.

Note: If anyone have Proliant 1500 or 1500R not working with dual processor card, update the ROMpaq firmware to E12 first.

Also another modified single processor card using Pentium 200 also working as well.

Cheers,

Reply 8 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update:

Dual processor board for Proliant 1500,
Investigated the dipswitch and BF0 and BF1 with multimeter. Indeed, sw 1 for BF0 and sw 2 for BF1, which can run either 100, 133, 166 and 200 using multiplier unlocked Pentium 200 processor.

Setting SW 1 or SW 2 "on" pulls low.

Cheers,