VOGONS

First post, by compgeke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a real problem guys, I keep getting giant 486 towers. First that NCR 3450 Dual 486, then the NCR 3434 Single 486, and now an Intel XBASE8TE8F. It's tearing my family apart and I don't know what to do.

Anyway, onwards. I just recently pick up this bad boy. As is normal with 486s I pick up, it's a monster.
7o1Z80P.png

Once we get it inside the house, we find it's a bit dirty but wow, is it big. I haven't measured it against an NCR but it does feel a bit smaller.
XpUD18S.jpg

Let's flip it around. On the back we have the normal I/O selection, as well as SCSI and a funky DE9 card, more on that later. The empty slot I bet had a NIC at one point, there's no way someone spec'd this out and didn't opt for one.
4xnknKc.jpg

The model plate gives us the typical absolutely useless Intel model number they assigned to servers. They couldn't give a good name to their server platforms if their life depended on it. A trend that continued until they scrapped making their own server chassis.
x5rcqGO.jpg

Time to crack it open. The lock on the back was locked and needed some finessing to open. Always keep some picks around 😀. As we can see, there's a lot of space in here. Room for 8 hard drives, a plethora of EISA cards, 3 5.25" devices. There's a CPU card on the top, and an unused RAM card slot below that (instead using onboard 72 pin simms).
u83VjfL.jpg

The CPU card itself has two CPU sockets as well as a turbocache socket. Based on PCB markings and the lack of documentation, I'd assume the 2nd CPU slot is for an overdrive or similar CPU, and not a 2nd CPU. I highly doubt it's an SMP capable machine, at least, not with that CPU board. Particularly since the CPU already on it is soldered.
q5Jjhzy.jpg

The CPU that's soldered on is an Intel 486 DX2-66, at least, that's what the label on the heatsink says.
EoKyII3.jpg

Moving on let's get back to that DE9. In one of the slots is an Imagraph "IPX"
DRkmyiO.jpg

Based on what info I can find, it's likely a different marking of an Imagraph Potrait Plus, and does 1280x1024 on a proprietary display. It does have the Bt RAMDAC so I bet it's analog RGB, just on a different connector so you wouldn't blow up your 640x480 monitor plugging it in.
9UAsaKG.jpg

As far as SCSI goes, it's got the typical Adaptec ISA SCSI card. I'm a little surprised it's not the EISA one, but then again, in this machine it's just running the MO and tape drive.
p1beMEC.jpg

For whatever reason, the hard drive is IDE. A big surprise for such a high end machine.
uyJBzr0.jpg

Now that we're familiar with the internals, let's see if it works! To start with, what's the screen do? Well, for BIOS it has BIOS version as well as the error codes it's throwing for a bad battery.
2xFuE0b.jpg

After this, it all went down hill. Started doing RAM counts and beeping at me about dead battery when I smelt the characteristic "Oh shit, something's on fire in this computer". I've not yet identified what it is, but it seems the power supply's gone on me. Even after disconnecting all the drives and removing expansion cards, it no longer powers on after I shut it off. There's nothing obviously burnt on the motherboard so it's unlikely the issue is there, based on how strong the smell was. I'm going to need to rip out the PSU when I get a chance and see what's up.

Even better, it wasn't my night for testing machines. After this machine went bang, I tried out a DECpc axp150 I picked up for $45 and a tantalum on the back of that board went bang. It really wasn't my night for computers.

Reply 2 of 14, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That case looks almost as big a my gigantic Little Devil case. I had to remove the drawer of the desk that's under, and it still only just fits 😀 Takes lots of drives as well - nice 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 14, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a similar issue, big 486s is starting to pile up in my basement 😀

Awesome computer, i would really like to have one even if there is no good reason for having more then 2 or 3 486s in working condition.

Reply 5 of 14, by compgeke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good news, it's alive! I changed...nothing. Yay for self clearing faults! I still need to dig in and find what went out, but based on it working fine now, I bet it's a tantalum that went and tripped a soft fuse that had to reset.
tPY7LXD.png

u2kc2hh.png

With a bit of fighting, I was even able to find EISA config files for this machine. It's not 100% needed without any EISA cards installed, but it is nice to have IDE auto detect and features like that.
w2HgVUQ.png

While I was at it, I also went ahead and modified the Dallas RTC brick. Easy enough to do, and now it holds settings, holds dates and doesn't error at every start.
Fo91vyS.png

Reply 7 of 14, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
compgeke wrote on 2020-11-07, 09:17:

Good news, it's alive!

Nice system and it's good to hear it's now alive, which OS do you plan to install? I suspect NT4 is your best option, I think W2K may run, but be rather slow so I would try and install NT4 first then try and add W2K to mate it dual boot.

I have never seen my SIV utility running on a Dual 486 system so it would be great is you tried it and posted the Menu->File->Save Local files so I can check how it does.

Reply 9 of 14, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice system been trying to find one for a while. Some versions are dual CPU capable. Needs second CPU board IIRC.
Some info:
http://66.113.161.23/~mR_Slug/deviceInfo/Inte … lp-file-manual/
example:
http://66.113.161.23/~mR_Slug/deviceInfo/Inte … ual/XPRESS.html

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 10 of 14, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
evasive wrote on 2020-11-07, 16:27:

The name is Xpress Deskside.

I have version 17 of the bios on file if you want.

Was wondering if this was a later version

http://download.viglen.co.uk/files/Servers/EX/

but Intel on archive.org do list 1.00.17.V0 as the latest V-series ?

Reply 11 of 14, by compgeke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mR_Slug wrote on 2020-11-07, 18:19:

Nice system been trying to find one for a while. Some versions are dual CPU capable. Needs second CPU board IIRC.

Through research I've found so far, there're two other machines based on the same general motherboard: The HP NetServer LM and the ICL TeamServer HL series. They're all based off the same reference board, down to jumpers and all. The NetServer LM EISA config file is the same as the X Series Premium as well, just different machine title.

I'd imagine a NetServer LM Dual Pentium board would work as long as the BIOS is correctly updated, however that'd require actually finding such a beast. If it's MPS 1.1 compliant, that'd be amazing. I've got a copy of OS/2 Warp 2.1 SMP, and it's only compatible with version 1.1, and not the much more common 1.4.

Reply 12 of 14, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-11-07, 19:16:
Was wondering if this was a later version […]
Show full quote
evasive wrote on 2020-11-07, 16:27:

The name is Xpress Deskside.

I have version 17 of the bios on file if you want.

Was wondering if this was a later version

http://download.viglen.co.uk/files/Servers/EX/

but Intel on archive.org do list 1.00.17.V0 as the latest V-series ?

I'd have to check if that is an OEM version but it is possible that is a later version. Viglen was not big enough to have it's OEM bios ID IIRC. Good find

Reply 13 of 14, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for this thread. Documented:

6-slot xPress boards without SCSI:
https://www.ultimateretro.net/motherboards/show/4200

8-slot xPress boards without SCSI:
https://www.ultimateretro.net/motherboards/show/8727

8-slot xPress boards with SCSI:
https://www.ultimateretro.net/motherboards/show/2834

Last edited by mR_Slug on 2022-03-15, 21:56. Edited 2 times in total.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 14 of 14, by Madowax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

V0 was the first released Deskside (1992), dual pentium CPU board does not work on it, for that to work you need a later rev. AM0 or AK0, which have a plcc socket near the bottom right corner of the motherboard, you need to put there a smp enabler pal (it was sold with the dual pentium CPU board) to enable symmetric multiprocessing support. Single pentium CPU boards work fine though, you just need a newer bios than 04. Latest BIOS for V0 is 19, ECU 2.9.4 should be used with it. Actual mb revision is written on a sticker near the eisa slots, starting with PBA and then a number in this format ******-***. That is the Deskside board V0 PCB revision. The second slot under the CPU board is not for a second CPU board (the dual pentium CPU board is a single board with both CPUs on it and it goes in the usual top slot), it is instead used for the memory expansion board, with one of those the system could reach 384MB RAM. V0 has these limitations: no smp, no support for ECC memory board, only 6 eisa bus master slots out of 8 and it got a problem with eisa slave c dma transfers (some nic and some SCSI boards may hang if they use it). You should also search for a newer CPU card, the one you got is one of the earlier ones, it needs Intel turbo cache module or the cypress equivalent, while newer revisions CPU boards, 486 and pentium ones, have 2nd level cache already onboard. Performances are greatly improved in that scenario. My V0 was dead when I first tested it due to a shorted tantalum on the +12V line, guess tantalums of that age are ready to die after 30 years 😉 , Intel switched to ele smd caps in the later revisions, the motherboard btw fits nicely in an EATX case, even most of the screws holes fit, I guess it was one of the first experiment of early ATX design. All revisions boards works with a normal AT power supply, however one of the additional power connectors is technically required for normal operation at any wattage, the second one though is really needed only in expanded server configurations, their pinouts are:

J0850 - J0860 - Aux. Power Connectors
Type: Single Row (Male);
Pinout:
1 +5v
2 +5v
3 +5v
4 GND
5 GND
6 GND
Pins 1, 2,and 3 are rated for 5 amps each