VOGONS

First post, by TonyStark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all! This is my first post to this forum and as far as I can tell, this is an amazing site!
On a retro build I recently put together, I have an HP motherboard with Intel 440ZX chipset, Slot 1 Pentium !!! cpu @ 500Mhz, 128MB SDRAM (dimm) and an onbard Matrox MGA G200 graphics chip with 8mb of ram. I'm facing the following issue...
I've installed Windows 98 SE on it and after installing all the drivers, when I install VGA drivers and restart the system, the PC freezes with scrambled colors on screen, or may reboot, or very rarely show a blank screen. This does not happen with Windows 2000. The latter is rock solid. Has anyone faced this kind of issue before ? is there anything that I can check in order to resolve it ?

The hardware on the system is the following

• Intel P3 @ 500 MHz Slot 1
    128MB SDRAM Dimm
    On board crystal audio sound chip
    Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller
    Yamaha CDRW 16/10/40 SCSI
    Creative DVD Encore DVD-ROM drive
    Seagate 10GB HDD
    Realtek 1Gbit NIC
    Creative DXR2 PCI card for DVD decoding
    Iomega ZIP drive 100MB IDE
    3.5" Floppy Drive

Thank you in advance for your help. Please let me know if you need any further information regarding the system

Reply 1 of 23, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like a PnP resource conflict. Who's managing PnP resources, BIOS or OS?

Also, VGA is generally the second driver you want to install (after motherboard chipset), doing it after all the others is asking for problems.

In any event I'd remove all non-essential cards (SCSI, NIC, MPEG decoder) and try again. Odds are that will work. Then add the other cards one by one. Possibly it will all work that way. If not, you'll at least know where the conflict is.

Reply 2 of 23, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which Matrox driver version are you using ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 23, by TonyStark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-11-08, 16:28:

Sounds like a PnP resource conflict. Who's managing PnP resources, BIOS or OS?

Also, VGA is generally the second driver you want to install (after motherboard chipset), doing it after all the others is asking for problems.

In any event I'd remove all non-essential cards (SCSI, NIC, MPEG decoder) and try again. Odds are that will work. Then add the other cards one by one. Possibly it will all work that way. If not, you'll at least know where the conflict is.

If not mistaken I've set it to be handled by the BIOS. I will try the other solutions you've proposed as well and I will let you know

Reply 5 of 23, by TonyStark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@dionb I have tried what you said, all resources handled by bios, clean install on Win98, chipset drivers, VGA drivers and the problem persists. The drivers are installed the colors are good, what I notice is some graphical anomalies on the top border of each window. Then the system freezes or restarts

Reply 9 of 23, by TonyStark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes. I think I've solved it. I've switched the BIOS' PNP OS option to true and then I also selected that the system should update the system configuration. So far no artifacts and no freezes/crashes. I don't think that is that odd, considering the age of the machine it's just that I haven't faced a similar issue before with similar hardware.
Like dionb said, most likely an IRQ conflict caused it.
In any case this happens again I will let you know.

Thank you again for your help.

Reply 11 of 23, by TonyStark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately, i was wrong. It crashed after 10 minutes of use. In safe mode, the system shows no conflicts.... I think I'll try step by step confirmation, to check it out abd let you know. If by the way yoy gjt an udea, gladly il hear it.

Reply 12 of 23, by TonyStark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know If there is another way to check it, since I haven't involved my self into old hardware for quite some time and I don't remember all the details when we use to check for issues like that.

Reply 13 of 23, by TonyStark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A bit of an update. The motherboard comes from an HP Vectra i8/VLi8 which is a slot 1 all-in-one motherboard, minus the NIC. I was able to find the manual which references the exact hardware used. I'll give it a try to find the drivers needed.
If I may ask, where do you seek old drivers these days ? any good sites to reference ?

found a picture of the board, https://www.ebay.ca/itm/324674222971?hash=ite … utorefresh=true .
Thank you in advance

Reply 14 of 23, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TonyStark wrote on 2022-02-05, 23:19:
A bit of an update. The motherboard comes from an HP Vectra i8/VLi8 which is a slot 1 all-in-one motherboard, minus the NIC. I w […]
Show full quote

A bit of an update. The motherboard comes from an HP Vectra i8/VLi8 which is a slot 1 all-in-one motherboard, minus the NIC. I was able to find the manual which references the exact hardware used. I'll give it a try to find the drivers needed.
If I may ask, where do you seek old drivers these days ? any good sites to reference ?

found a picture of the board, https://www.ebay.ca/itm/324674222971?hash=ite … utorefresh=true .
Thank you in advance

Think its the same motherboard as used in the Vectra VEi8 (Sherwood-B), so try either of these links

VLi8 - https://drivers.eu/PC/HP/Vectra%20VLi8

VEi8 - https://drivers.eu/PC/HP/Vectra%20VEi8

Reply 16 of 23, by TonyStark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No luck unfortunately, when the driver is installed and the OS loads, the screen shows black artifacts and the PC instantly freezes, only the mouse pointer is active. Oddly enough this does not happen with Windows 2000...
any suggestions ?

Reply 17 of 23, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TonyStark wrote on 2022-02-09, 11:33:

No luck unfortunately, when the driver is installed and the OS loads, the screen shows black artifacts and the PC instantly freezes, only the mouse pointer is active. Oddly enough this does not happen with Windows 2000...
any suggestions ?

Pity; I'll stick my board (linked below) on the test bench and try a similar base install for comparison - assume your config is still (roughly) as op?

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Reply 19 of 23, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TonyStark wrote on 2022-02-10, 18:33:

That's the board alright. And the configuration is still the same as op.

Wasn't able to replicate your problem on the bench...

- clean install of 98SE (board + P3 600MHz + 128MB PC133 SDRAM / PnP OS set to yes in BIOS) on bare 20GB WD200 IDE drive + ATAPI CD drive

- added Intel chipset drivers v3.20.1008 (fresh download from PhilsComputer Lab)

- added Matrox drivers v6.82.016 (fresh download of w9x_682.zip from Matrox)

- no color issues, corruptions, black screens or lockups / freezes

- changed screen resolution, color depth, refresh rate - still nothing

- changed acceleration levels and window drag behaviour (whole window or just empty frame) - still nothing

- was going to try the last version HP supplied (v5.41.008) but didn't seem much point as you hadn't tried them either afaik

Maybe looking like some issue with the actual G200 chip or onboard SDRAM which the 98SE drivers hit but the W2k ones don't???

Screen grab from my install

Vectra G200 Desktop.jpg
Filename
Vectra G200 Desktop.jpg
File size
110.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception