VOGONS

First post, by AngieAndretti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't find an answer to this via Google so it may be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway: Is it possible to plug an ISA single-board computer into a regular old AT motherboard instead of plugging into a true backplane?

For example, let's say I have an IBM 5170 motherboard. Could I plug in a 386 SBC such as this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PC-Used-SBC-357-4M … IEAAOSwrCFdr6Z6 and have the SBC boot up and talk to the 5170's MFM hard drive controller card via the ISA bus, allowing for use of the original MFM hard drive with the 386 CPU?
Yes I know there are vastly easier ways to combine an MFM hard drive with a 386 CPU but I'm curious if this project could even be possible. I assume I'd have to do something to suspend the original CPU, etc. on the motherboard and/or stop it from trying to access the bus as it normally would, but again nobody appears to be discussing this so I have little to go on. I'd be OK with even removing socketed chip(s) from the motherboard as long as any mods are reversible.

I also remember seeing cards advertised in catalogs many years ago for this specific purpose - upgrading your old PC to an entirely newer CPU architecture by installing a card with many of the core parts of a new computer right on it, and it sort of acts like a vampire and takes over those functions - which lends credibility to the idea of this being possible with an SBC... or do you think I'd need to search for a specialty upgrade product like I mentioned instead? If so, any suggestions of what I should search for?

Reply 1 of 9, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope it's not possible. Because if it is, I'll have to add SBCs to my collection, which is already too large and expensive for the small house I live in and my budget 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 9, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An SBC will not upgrade a standard motherboard as you would have bus collisions and crash.

What you propose is interesting such as
could you modify an sbc to serve as a processor overdrive card ?
The engineering effort to modify one would likely be extensive and you would need a patch cable to the motherboards existing cpu socket to take over post.

So yeah close to impossible

Reply 3 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should be able to.. however, you would probably need to removed at least some of the socketed chips (CPU, BIOS, RAM and maybe the KBC). Not sure about other stuff.

Why not just get an ISA backplane?

And that 386 SBC you linked is incredibly expensive. That particular one has the CPU integrated into the ALi chip:

Features
Onboard ALi M6117C, Intel® 386SX-40 compatible CPU
Onboard three RS-232 and one RS-232/422/485 serial port
C&T 65545 CRT/LCD controller with 1MB display memory
Supports DiskOnChip® (SSD) up to 1 GB
PC/104 expansion connector
Optional Ethernet

http://www.emacinc.com/products/pc_compatible_sbcs/SBC-357

In the end, if you did use the old motherboard, you would essentially be turning it into a passive backplane.

Edit: Here is the same SBC you linked but way cheaper:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EMAC-SBC-357-4M-386C … 80/333394133557

I would probably go with a 386DX SBC though as the SX only has a 16-bit data path.

Pair that with a backplane with however many slots your case has and you are ready to rock.

For that matter, you could even use a 486 SBC though ISA only 486 seems silly to me.

I've never even spent $100 on a single SBC. Most of them I've gotten for $50 or less. Just have to keep your eye out for good deals.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have done this quite a few times in the past, even ran a full PICMG P3-era board just plugged into the ISA bus of the 'host' system. So long as the host system isn't initialized, it should work. So no CPU and/or BIOS does the trick.

Note that power draw can be a (big) issue, so if the SBC doesn't have its own (aux) power connector, you could end up overheating the +5V/+12V lines on the host board.

Reply 5 of 9, by AngieAndretti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot for the replies so far guys!!

cyclone3d, Yes turning the old mobo into a passive backplane is exactly what this experiment is about - that would be the goal. Regarding the specific SBC I linked, I agree it may not be the ideal candidate but I wanted to link something specific to help illustrate what I'm thinking of doing. After all I just thought of this project at 2am this morning 😀 I think the ideal SBC would be a 386dx with onboard VGA, IDE, PS2 keyboard, and COM port for mouse - this way we only rely on the motherboard to access "secondary" devices like MFM controller card, sound card, etc. Why not just use a (real) ISA backplane? Well I have considered it but somehow I don't feel I could bring myself to "gut" a perfectly working IBM 5170 by replacing its mobo with a backplane. I know you could argue that I'd be doing essentially the same thing by using the original motherboard in the way I'm proposing but it feels different - if only emotionally. Leaving the original board in-place would also make it easier, in theory, to switch back. In the perfect world there would be a single toggle switch for this purpose on the back of the case but I know that level of refinement would be much more difficult to achieve.

dionb, That's what I was looking for - someone who can say they've done this before - that means there's at least a chance of me getting it working! I think I'm going to have to try it out.

debs3759, I know, right! This project may be objectively silly but it's just somehow appealing isn't it! I'm in the same boat as far as the small house but one computer that can be both a 286 and a 386 takes up less space than one of each 😀

Reply 6 of 9, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AngieAndretti wrote on 2020-11-11, 00:29:

debs3759, I know, right! This project may be objectively silly but it's just somehow appealing isn't it! I'm in the same boat as far as the small house but one computer that can be both a 286 and a 386 takes up less space than one of each 😀

Imagine what it's like having 30+ cases, over 100 motherboards (probably nearer 140), over 500 graphics cards, probably 2000 or 2500 CPUs, and crates of other parts with only a sitting room and bedroom.... I really need to finish cataloguing my collection 😀 I don't do things by halves 😀 Only thing I don't have lots of is sound cards, as I'm deaf in one ear and tone deaf in the other.

It would be interesting to set up a few ISA and PCI SBCs on appropriate backplanes though, I'm sure when I get organised that I can find space for a custom case for them. Not sure I'd want to waste a perfectly good motherboard to do it though.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 7 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote on 2020-11-11, 00:41:

Imagine what it's like having 30+ cases, over 100 motherboards (probably nearer 140), over 500 graphics cards, probably 2000 or 2500 CPUs, and crates of other parts with only a sitting room and bedroom.... I really need to finish cataloguing my collection 😀 I don't do things by halves 😀 Only thing I don't have lots of is sound cards, as I'm deaf in one ear and tone deaf in the other.

It would be interesting to set up a few ISA and PCI SBCs on appropriate backplanes though, I'm sure when I get organised that I can find space for a custom case for them. Not sure I'd want to waste a perfectly good motherboard to do it though.

Wow! That's about the same as me... except I don't have as many CPUs but I have a massive number of sound cards.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 9, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I too was bewitched by the world of SBCs and I think the same way: a computer that has as many systems as possible inside it to have the widest possible retrogaming experience in the smallest possible space.

I have acquired a lot of knowledge over time on the subject and I can tell you that the absolutely perfect machine, the DEFINITIVE machine for what you are looking for is the Amiga4000.

The amiga4000 was designed to be a backplaine itself. Let me explain: this machine has inside a riser card with the proprietary expansion slots of the amiga world called ZORRO and alongside it has 3 16bit ISA slots that communicate with each other but are connected to the motherboard of the amiga4000 only in the pins which bring power to the isa bus. It is a perfect machine, because in a really compact case you have all the software of the wonderful and revolutionary Commodore machine until the early 90s, where it will actually be overtaken by the PC, PC that you have in the 3 isa slots inside the machine. For example I have a sbc with pentium1 up to K6III, with vga, ps / 2 and ethernet connector, another slot has a sound blaster 16 and the third is free for another sound card or any other ISA card. In reality, for the amiga 4000 there is an even more intriguing thing which is called bridgeboard which mounts a 386sx pc (in its maximum expression) and which communicates with the amiga system. The topic is so broad that I won't dwell on it, but if you want I can explain it to you if you ask me some specific questions. Believe me, if you like the idea of ​​having more systems in one machine, in the 4000 you will have the creme de la creme from the mid 80s to the second half of the 90s, the golden years in one machine only.

Reply 9 of 9, by AngieAndretti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've searched eBay for an Amiga 4000 from time to time, but they seem to have become very rare and extremely expensive... and that's coming from someone who just dropped $450 on a 35-year-old IBM PC 😀 ... but yes, I'd love to have one some day!