VOGONS

First post, by RedCharles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone done a SSD RAID 0 on an Windows XP machine? It's a 2005 Falcon Northwest Fragbox. Pretty sure it's SATA 1 interface, which tops out at 150, but a Raid 0 would raise my speed to 300 right? I swapped out the original raid set up (still worked) for a single SSD. I feel like it's slower. And now I want twice the speed and twice the unreliability.
giphy.gif

Reply 1 of 3, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My x58/ICH10 system has RAID 1 SSDs and the read data rate is almost double that of a single SSD, RAID 0 should be the same and also have double the write data rate. Most of the time it runs Windows 7, but I can also boot it into Windows XP.

It's unclear what a "2005 Falcon Northwest Fragbox" is, which chipset/motherboard does it use?

An easy way to check the SATA speed is to run my SIV utility and look at the Menu->Devices->CSMI RAID panel. Below you can see my Intel SSDs are capable of SATA 600, but limited to SATA 300 by the ICH10.

file.php?id=96106
file.php?id=96118

Attachments

• REG.png
    Filename
    REG.png
    File size
    38.96 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Windows XP - Menu->Devices->CSMI RAID
    File license
    Public domain
  • CSMI RAID.png
    Filename
    CSMI RAID.png
    File size
    71.58 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Widnows 7 - Menu->Devices->CSMI RAID
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 3, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have tried 2 and 4 disk RAID 0 arrays on various XP systems. Sequential throughput is limited by the controller.
P45/ICH10R chipset maxes out around 500MB/s.
Z68/Z77 gets to somewhere around 1GB/s.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 3 of 3, by RedCharles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, I finally got around to getting the SSD Raid 0 set up. Actually had to use the Raid controller to format the drives. And, holy smokes, that format took hours for each disk, and once it started, I couldn't abort. I then proceeded with the first clean install of XP since maybe 2005 Used a Norton Ghost disk provided by Falcon Northwest. Never done that before. Got past the weird activation issues. And it's awesome.

Gonna check some speeds and post them soon.

Attachments