VOGONS

First post, by AcidJazz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi People, I hope this is the correct section of the forum 😀
I'm thinking about buying an old PC, mostly for retrogaming and so on, Windows 98 SE.
The graphic card would be a Riva TNT2 Ultra 32MB, VGA ports.

My doubt is about the aspect ratio, currently I only have a LG 32 inches Ultrawide monitor with DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI 1.4, no DVI or VGA obviously.
The only solution would be to use an adapter, VGA to HDMI.
That you know, is there any way to set the aspect ratio to 4:3 once connected? Or if maybe this is can be done at the OS/Graphic Card software level?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 2, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi and welcome to the forum! 😀
What you need is an active converter. There are lots of commercial products and enthusiast projects, some better, some worse.
Better converters are also scalers that allow you to add bars to the output picture to retain the original aspect ratio even on displays that do not support this ratio.
I have been using a Gefen EXT-VGA-2-DVISP for some time. It does an alright job but I was a little bothered with screen tearing sometimes.
If you search 'VGA scaler' on this forum you'll get a lot of discussions and recommendations for various converters that'll help you decide which will fit your needs best.
It's a bit of a rabbit hole though. 😉

Reply 2 of 2, by AcidJazz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks 😀
Didn't know about that, I'll have a look at the active converters then, thanks for your suggestion! 😀
So far I have been using PCem, which I find to be the closest way to emulate a real machine, good enough but with some flaws, now I'm planning to get a proper machine and I'm considering the pontential limitations, like the one I was mentioning before.