VOGONS

First post, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Micron PC with a Pentium 66MHz and a Mitsumi CD-ROM drive (model FX001D) running off an ISA controller card. I'm trying to install Windows 95 on the machine but I can't seem to get the CD-ROM drive to work, I install version 1.16 of the drivers that are supposed to be for this CD-ROM drive but when I try and boot the machine and get the CD-ROM working I just get...this.

LZso8Wy.jpg

There's two different versions of the driver (MTMCDAE.SYS and MTMCDAS.SYS) but both of them result in "CD-ROM is not detected, driver not loaded" when starting the system. I've found both a version 1.16 of this driver (as found here: http://ibm-pc.org/drivers/cdrom/MITSUMI/MITS116.ZIP) and a version 1.11 (https://archive.org/details/930903) but I feel like the driver version shouldn't really...matter? I also notice what looks like it might be a DIP switch block on the ISA controller card but I would have no idea what the settings are for it.

Reply 1 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-11-17, 01:26:

I have a Micron PC with a Pentium 66MHz and a Mitsumi CD-ROM drive (model FX001D) running off an ISA controller card. I'm trying to install Windows 95 on the machine but I can't seem to get the CD-ROM drive to work, I install version 1.16 of the drivers that are supposed to be for this CD-ROM drive but when I try and boot the machine and get the CD-ROM working I just get...this.
I also notice what looks like it might be a DIP switch block on the ISA controller card but I would have no idea what the settings are for it.

Post a picture of the controller card ! I think it must not be set properly. Also the cdrom should be set as Master if one it's own controller....
Note: I use Oakcdrom.sys for nearly every DOS/DOS mode IDE cdrom/dvdrom driver, it always works.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2020-11-17, 01:40:

I also notice what looks like it might be a DIP switch block on the ISA controller card but I would have no idea what the settings are for it.

Post a picture of the controller card ! I think it must not be set properly. Also the cdrom should be set as Master if one it's own controller....
Note: I use Oakcdrom.sys for nearly every DOS/DOS mode IDE cdrom/dvdrom driver, it always works.

I secind that, a picture of the controller card would be helpful.

Oakcdrom.sys may or may not work.
Depends in whether the FX001 is IDE/ATAPI or not.
The old LU005S used the proprietary Mitsumi interface, for example, which used a 40pin cable (not 80pin) also. This one should never be connected to an IDE port.

The matter is discussed here, I think:
https://www.robotrontechnik.de/html/forum/thw … ?threadid=14484
Yiu may need an online translator, though.

Edit : Some typos fixed.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 19, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's definitely not IDE, it's some kind of Mitsumi proprietary interface. Here's some pictures of the controller card, including a close-up of the switch block and jumpers, but there's not much here to help explain things.

TIJHXqX.jpg

Xj0PEat.jpg

mcutPOg.jpg

SRIuA56.jpg

Just in case it's hard to see, the switches on the switch block are set as follows:

1, 2, 4 OFF
3, 5, 6, 7, 8 ON

But I don't know what those switch settings mean, as I don't have any documentation of this controller card.

Reply 4 of 19, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-11-17, 02:37:
It's definitely not IDE, it's some kind of Mitsumi proprietary interface. Here's some pictures of the controller card, including […]
Show full quote

It's definitely not IDE, it's some kind of Mitsumi proprietary interface. Here's some pictures of the controller card, including a close-up of the switch block and jumpers, but there's not much here to help explain things.

TIJHXqX.jpg

Xj0PEat.jpg

mcutPOg.jpg

SRIuA56.jpg

Just in case it's hard to see, the switches on the switch block are set as follows:

1, 2, 4 OFF
3, 5, 6, 7, 8 ON

But I don't know what those switch settings mean, as I don't have any documentation of this controller card.

The settings for the controller card are listed in the manual

https://web.archive.org/web/19971126083528fw_ … ls/2xmanual.pdf

EDIT: and here

https://web.archive.org/web/19970723002337/ht … com/jumper.html

and this seems like a good support page

https://web.archive.org/web/19970723000659/ht … com/FX001d.html

Reply 5 of 19, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK, you can't boot off those drives. Nor the drive, nor the card supports it. They were made for adding CD-ROM support (i.e. the ability to read CD-ROMs) to 486 and early Pentium systems.

You need a boot floppy to boot into DOS and initialize the CD-ROM drive, then run the installer from there, without rebooting and trying to boot off the CD drive.

Reply 6 of 19, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote on 2020-11-17, 07:30:

AFAIK, you can't boot off those drives. Nor the drive, nor the card supports it. They were made for adding CD-ROM support (i.e. the ability to read CD-ROMs) to 486 and early Pentium systems.

You need a boot floppy to boot into DOS and initialize the CD-ROM drive, then run the installer from there, without rebooting and trying to boot off the CD drive.

To do that I'd have to somehow make a boot floppy with the CD-ROM driver already on it and I'm...not really sure how to do that.

I definitely think that when I installed the driver I used the wrong IRQ and I/O port settings though so fixing those is a great start. Based on the manual the card seems to be set to IRQ11 and I/O address 340h.

Reply 7 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2020-11-17, 02:04:
I secind that, a picture of the controller card would be helpful. […]
Show full quote
Horun wrote on 2020-11-17, 01:40:

I secind that, a picture of the controller card would be helpful.

Oakcdrom.sys may or may not work.
Depends in whether the FX001 is IDE/ATAPI or not.
The old LU005S used the proprietary Mitsumi interface, for example, which used a 40pin cable (not 80pin) also. This one should never be connected to an IDE port.

The matter is discussed here, I think:
https://www.robotrontechnik.de/html/forum/thw … ?threadid=14484
Yiu may need an online translator, though.

Edit : Some typos fixed.

Yes you are correct ! I thought the FXoo1 was Mitsumi's first IDE/ATAPI but it is not and uses the 40 pin "Mitsumi" interface like the LU005.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 19, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well after getting home and running the setup program with the correct I/O and IRQ values I've "upgraded" from a CD-ROM drive that isn't being detected at all...to one that doesn't work at all. It's not even trying to work because I don't hear it spin the CD up, it just kinda sits there and does nothing. Maybe I do have to make a boot disk with the CD-ROM driver on it...

ECaLklC.jpg

74axG1i.jpg

Reply 9 of 19, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-11-18, 02:28:
Well after getting home and running the setup program with the correct I/O and IRQ values I've "upgraded" from a CD-ROM drive th […]
Show full quote

Well after getting home and running the setup program with the correct I/O and IRQ values I've "upgraded" from a CD-ROM drive that isn't being detected at all...to one that doesn't work at all. It's not even trying to work because I don't hear it spin the CD up, it just kinda sits there and does nothing. Maybe I do have to make a boot disk with the CD-ROM driver on it...

ECaLklC.jpg

74axG1i.jpg

At this point, I would remove the cover of the CDROM drive and make it work like that to see what it does with a disc and without a disc inside. See if the laser moves after closing it or not, careful with the laser light, do not look at it directly. Does the tray open and close without any issues?

Reply 10 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aha2940 wrote on 2020-11-18, 04:00:

At this point, I would remove the cover of the CDROM drive and make it work like that to see what it does with a disc and without a disc inside. See if the laser moves after closing it or not, careful with the laser light, do not look at it directly. Does the tray open and close without any issues?

Agree ! Being a 2X cdrom from early 1990's it could be bad or there could be other issues.
The really old CDROMs did not like reading non-retail old CD disks. Is you Win95 CD an original or a copy ?
Added: if it were me would use a later 1990's model IDE or SCSI cdrom.....

Reply 11 of 19, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aha2940 wrote on 2020-11-18, 04:00:
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-11-18, 02:28:
Well after getting home and running the setup program with the correct I/O and IRQ values I've "upgraded" from a CD-ROM drive th […]
Show full quote

ECaLklC.jpg

74axG1i.jpg

Tray opens and closes slowly but fine enough, but the disc doesn't even spin up at all. I did notice some very thick grease on the spiral track the laser assembly rides back and forth on but even after removing the excess it still doesn't even try to read the CD at all. I have gotten it to flash the activity LED on occasion though.

My copy of 95 is a CD-R so that probably doesn't help, though...I don't actually own a retail disc of 95.

Reply 12 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By the way, some of the early Sound Blasters with multiple CD-ROM interfaces had a Mitsumi interface, too.
Not sure if this of any help, though. I can't remember ever using this one.
If memory serves, I (we) always used the controller card with the Mitsumi LU005.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 19, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-11-18, 09:25:

Hmm, if that's true that's very frustrating, as I'm pretty sure I don't have a retail copy of 95.

I do have spare CD-ROM drives though, IDE ones, so maybe I can just borrow one of those temporarily. I dunno if this motherboard has a secondary IDE channel or not, but the BIOS mentions up to 4 hard drives so I'm guessing it likely has a secondary channel.

Reply 15 of 19, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-11-18, 19:43:

I dunno if this motherboard has a secondary IDE channel or not, but the BIOS mentions up to 4 hard drives so I'm guessing it likely has a secondary channel.

It's easy to tell. If it has a secondary channel, it will have a second connector.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 16 of 19, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a board with two channels but only one connector. It's an OEM version of a retail board. The original board had both connectors, but the OEM decided to remove one of them. The BIOS still thinks it has two channels.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 17 of 19, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have a secondary IDE on my motherboard but the SoundBlaster 16 CT2910 card installed in this system seems to have an IDE interface so I guess I'll grab a drive and a cable and try that out.

Reply 18 of 19, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the exact same Mitsumi 2x speed CD-ROM + Controller card combo on my 386, and can confirm that the drive DOES read burned CDs.
However, it DOES NOT read ReWritables.

Reply 19 of 19, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't remember CD-RWs working in my old drives at all. CD-Rs could work if you were selective about the media and avoided funky or dark colours. Also try to avoid discs made for super fast spindle speeds. I used to have pretty good luck with those old CompUSA discs that had the red and blue print. The ones I burnt 23 years ago all still seem to read too!
Finally, not all the older drives support multisession, so try to burn single session discs.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium