VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If on a pentium cpu the text showing the model numbers and all is bit crooked like the text starts closer to edge of the cpu and goes bit further away from the edge at the end, would that mean the cpu is a fake because I have not seen text not being straight on a cpu before?

Reply 2 of 16, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote on 2020-11-24, 05:07:

hard to know without pictures, and tests.

Thanks. I just thought to ask if just the fact that the text is not straight would automatically mean that the cpu is fake. Like if nobody had ever seen real cpu being like that it would mean it being fake. That is why I thought picture was not necessary because there isn't anything else strange about the cpu except the text being skewed like that.

P-90.jpg
Filename
P-90.jpg
File size
701.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 16, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It just feels suspicious. I just noticed that text in the center on the other side of the cpu is skewed in similar way. I don't have a way to test it right now, but I can't really return it either just because of a suspicion...

Reply 5 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My initial reaction is that particular CPU may have not been seated properly in whatever tray/holder it was in when it was marked at the factory.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's probably nothing to worry about. I've seen this problem for as long as they've been using silk screens on CPUs.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Too crooked. The intel uses precision holders that holds the CPU while laser etching the black text. I have seen and knew they were not that crooked.

Do a scratch test in small area. I have a remarked pentium that was purple cement over laid and etched again. Looked wrong and did a scratch test. Have to find the CPU and show what this looks like.
Second clue, if the multiplier is unlocked this increases this chances of being remarked.

Cheers,

Last edited by pentiumspeed on 2020-11-25, 17:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 8 of 16, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It would be nice to see the other side of the CPU, too...

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 10 of 16, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grzyb wrote on 2020-11-25, 16:16:

It would be nice to see the other side of the CPU, too...

Here is a picture. Top part of the text is more skewed than bottom part of the text.

P-90-b.jpg
Filename
P-90-b.jpg
File size
739.39 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
evasive wrote on 2020-11-25, 16:25:

The question is: is it economically interesting to pass a P75 as a P90 at the time?

Looking at an article about the prices back then, though it only mentions the 90 and 100Mhz parts, I would say yes it would have been worth remarking.
http://www.cpushack.com/CIC/announce/1994/Int … m90Release.html

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 16, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-11-25, 20:44:

Have you put it in a motherboard and tested it?

I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I currently don't have a possibility of testing the cpu, but I also can't return it if there is no proof of it being fake. I basically started this thread hoping to get some peace of mind like for example if someone could tell me that it is a common thing to have text like that so I would not need to worry about it being fake because of that.

Reply 16 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote on 2020-11-24, 05:32:
Warlord wrote on 2020-11-24, 05:07:

hard to know without pictures, and tests.

Thanks. I just thought to ask if just the fact that the text is not straight would automatically mean that the cpu is fake. Like if nobody had ever seen real cpu being like that it would mean it being fake. That is why I thought picture was not necessary because there isn't anything else strange about the cpu except the text being skewed like that.

P-90.jpg

Originally I thought that what you meant was that the white Pentium logo is off-centre, but what you really mean is that the black laser engraving is at an angle? Yeah, that's pretty suspicious.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium