VOGONS

First post, by RedCharles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I've been having this error on shutdown: "Write fault error writing device aux" and then "Abort Retry Ignore Fail"

Which has not been a problem, because I just type A and then windows tells me it is now safe to turn off my computer.

However, I'm trying to install Kings Quest V. A game I never figured out as a kid. And I really want to know, was I retarded? Or were the puzzles retarded?
I remember a part of the game with a ship and being really frustrated as a kid. Maybe I'll prove that I am just retarded as I was. That I've learned nothing
in the intervening years. Occam's razor will tell.

Nevertheless, I need to get this game installed, if am to prove that I was a retard, the game is retarded or that I am retarded.

But I can't reboot into DOS because of this error.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 1, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure if you're fluent in English, but the r-word is touchy these days. Also, generally KQV is indeed regarded as thoroughly obtuse.

Anyway, have you considered using ScummVM rather than struggling with an old Windows PC? The experience is practically indistinguishable, and ScummVM will run anywhere.

RedCharles wrote on 2020-11-24, 05:11:

So I've been having this error on shutdown: "Write fault error writing device aux" and then "Abort Retry Ignore Fail"

Which has not been a problem, because I just type A and then windows tells me it is now safe to turn off my computer.

This could be caused by a lot of things. Is the hard drive reliable? Is this a fresh install of Windows 98? If this is Windows 98 SE, do you have the Shutdown Supplement installed?

But I can't reboot into DOS because of this error.

If your goal is to boot into DOS, then you can press F8 while the computer is starting up (i.e. when "Starting Windows 98..." appears) and select the appropriate option from the menu that appears.