VOGONS

First post, by MII-233

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a 240GB Kingston SUV400 kicking around and I'm finally biting the bullet and ordering a SATA to IDE adapter from StarTech to give my XP machine a kick in the ass, but I've just got a few questions I was hoping y'all could help me out with.

1. I was planning on cloning both the boot drive and the game storage drive over using Acronis True Image 2017 (seeing as the 240GB SSD is basically a perfect match for my well-under capacity 80+160 setup I have now). Would TI17 handle partition alignment properly and all that jazz? I've seen it bounced around that XP has alignment problems with SSDs and I just wanna make triple sure that'll work fine.

2. When it comes to TRIM, I know XP has no native support, but are there any programs that will work with my particular SSD? I know I've seen it bounced around that Crucial and Samsung have utilities for XP that work, but I'm unsure if they're vendor locked or what have you. Also keep in mind that they'd have to run on P3's so there might be some missing instructions.

2.1. In the case that I can't get any form of TRIM running natively within XP, I assume just plugging it into my W10 PC and running the garbage collection in Disk Defragmenter would suffice, right?

Zenith: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, 80GB Barracuda 7200.9 (OS+Programs) + 160GB Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 (games), Windows XP Pro SP3

944TreU.gif

Reply 2 of 2, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I assume just plugging it into my W10 PC and running the garbage collection in Disk Defragmenter would suffice, right?

I think Kingston's SSD utility can force TRIM manually (for Windows 7 and newer). Do you need to TRIM? Depends. Modern SSDs use SLC caching technique, when approximately 20-25% of all NAND is used in 1-bit per cell mode to increase performance and durability. AFAIK they aren't very susceptible to TRIM or lack of it, if you don't exceed writes on SSD beyond said limit in rapid succession.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.