VOGONS

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was all happy to install that samsung 23" as it could auto-switch from 16:9 and 4:3 mode profile hence seemed an interesting upgrade for my shared side-modern-computer(16:9) / vintage-computers(4:3). The dream was short lived when I realized that this screen would auto shut off after some times while displaying unsupported mode. The disturbing fact is that it actually display those unsupported modes but was just non-negotiable about shutting down itself about it. So there is many demo I could not watch, like complex_dope and only can listen to music. But second reality ran in a kind of strange slow motion way where note pitch where kept but music tempo was lowered, effects and delays time where somewhat affected ... It felt like 2nd_real rely on display refresh rate and have some kind of fallback timer safe.

Reply 1 of 1, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElBrunzy wrote on 2020-11-27, 22:05:

I was all happy to install that samsung 23" as it could auto-switch from 16:9 and 4:3 mode profile hence seemed an interesting upgrade for my shared side-modern-computer(16:9) / vintage-computers(4:3). The dream was short lived when I realized that this screen would auto shut off after some times while displaying unsupported mode. The disturbing fact is that it actually display those unsupported modes but was just non-negotiable about shutting down itself about it. So there is many demo I could not watch, like complex_dope and only can listen to music. But second reality ran in a kind of strange slow motion way where note pitch where kept but music tempo was lowered, effects and delays time where somewhat affected ... It felt like 2nd_real rely on display refresh rate and have some kind of fallback timer safe.

I can confirm that Second Reality only runs properly when the video card outputs 70Hz .

When run on my Geforce FX 5900, which defaults to 60Hz over DVI, the demo runs slow .

When run on my Geforce FX 5900 while forced to 70Hz over DVI using a custom mode in an EDID emulator, the demo runs fine .

Another workaround is to use analogue VGA output rather than DVI/HDMI . With most VGA cards the output will then be at 70Hz in the mode that Second Reality uses.

EDIT : Shutting down when running an unsupported mode after an arbitrary amount of time is, IMHO, a stupid design idea. A monitor should either work or not work. I use a Philips 252B9, which accepts nearly anything thrown at it over DVI/HDMI . It has explicity 4:3 and 16:9 modes and supports 70Hz over DVI/HDMI without skipping frames .