VOGONS

First post, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Forgive the horrendous cable management... but I was considering moving the components out of this old Gateway machine into a new case.

This Athlon 64 era machine was bought at retail and did not have a floppy drive pre-installed nor did I ever install one later, but it does have a floppy connector on the motherboard. It seems to be missing 3 pins though? Are these 3 pins necessary or is configuration unique to Gateways of the time?

It was hard to get a clear photo at this time of day. I marked in red the three spots with no pins and also marked 3 spots in green were there are pins (but difficult to see).

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    Filename
    02.jpg
    File size
    237.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 01.jpg
    Filename
    01.jpg
    File size
    134.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 2, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Doesn't look like they were broken off, so the best bet is to connect a floppy drive or equivalent emulator to see if it functions. That, and checking the BIOS for FDD configuration options.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 2 of 2, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

According to the 3.5" floppy pinout on the PC (https://www.chzsoft.de/site/hardware/preservi … logic-analyzer/) you are only missing two "not connected" and a ground pin. Considering all odd-numbered pins on the floppy interface are ground, I'd say your motherboard should work correctly with a floppy drive (assuming all other pins are correctly connected, there are no issues with your mobo and the BIOS has the required support).