VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello all

Iam looking into a solution for quick compact flash storage as backup . ( i dont havent an other solution to do so) (bare motherboard with cpu + memory + graphics card+ controller card installed)
So i can install the ISA card and using it as a SLAVE drive near my old IDE 504MB harddisk so i can copy over the files to the flash card and using it as a backup device where i can make copies of the software of that compact flash card.

I see a lot compact flash isa cards on ebay.. But dont know which i would purchase.. I know i could choose for a cheaper build up one, but iam insure if the adapter would run in slave mode.. (normally they act as a MASTER device)
Maybe here are people owning one and knowing for sure that the isa CF they are owning can be set as slave drive..

Which one would you recommending me?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 5, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure I understand your problem. You can buy IDE adapters you can set to master or slave through a jumper:
Photograph_of_40_Pin_IDE_to_CompactFlash_CF_Adapter_40pin_40-pin_Converter_Adapter_4_RTQRDWVOL922_1024x1024.png?v=1527368995
Then you can just copy over the files you want or I guess you could try using clonezilla or something to 1:1 clone your hard drive on a CF or save a drive image. Then you can just use USBImager or Win32 Disk Imager to save an image you can write back on any CF of SD card whenever you want and have a bootable drive.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 2 of 5, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2020-12-04, 07:54:
I'm not sure I understand your problem. You can buy IDE adapters you can set to master or slave through a jumper: https://cdn.sh […]
Show full quote

I'm not sure I understand your problem. You can buy IDE adapters you can set to master or slave through a jumper:
Photograph_of_40_Pin_IDE_to_CompactFlash_CF_Adapter_40pin_40-pin_Converter_Adapter_4_RTQRDWVOL922_1024x1024.png?v=1527368995
Then you can just copy over the files you want or I guess you could try using clonezilla or something to 1:1 clone your hard drive on a CF or save a drive image. Then you can just use USBImager or Win32 Disk Imager to save an image you can write back on any CF of SD card whenever you want and have a bootable drive.

Not sure clonezilla runs on older hardware, maybe I was missing something but I couldnt even get the earliest version to load on my P166.

I ended up using Symantec Ghost via DOS boot disks to make image files of my IDE and IDE-SD card drives. I suppose this could be done any number of ways (e.g. linux dd) but for me being able to backup/restore over the network is very handy and Ghost is pretty easy to use.

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 3 of 5, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got two simple adapters:

Photo Dec 04, 11 19 13 AM.jpg
Filename
Photo Dec 04, 11 19 13 AM.jpg
File size
47.78 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

and a complicated adapter--

Photo Dec 04, 11 30 20 AM.jpg
Filename
Photo Dec 04, 11 30 20 AM.jpg
File size
126.87 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The simple ones are nice because:
1) 1/2 the price of one complicated one, so I can mod for UDMA and keep a control for testing UDMA 5 with DOM's & CF's
2) They don't have jumpers that hang out over the front, so they don't obstruct the space in front of the IDE pin block
But they do hang over the back of the IDE block a little bit

The complicated one is nice because:
1) It can run off IDE power if you have an ide adapter with v5 on pin 20
2) The PCB is centered over the ide pin block, so it doesn't hang over the back
3) it has das Blinkenlights!!
But the Slave/Master jumper has not been useful because these adapters usually sit on the base IDE pin block, so there's no way to attach a second device on the channel unless you have an IDE cable with a 40 pin female connector, and those are rare, and if you had one of those, you could probably mod it to do cable select pretty easily. http://unixwiz.net/techtips/ide-cable-select.html
I've never seen a CF card that would only work at 3.3v, so I've never needed to change that jumper
The jumpers hang out over the front. I recent put the complicated CF in the back pin block and tried to put a simple CF in the front, and the jumpers on the complicated adapter ripped off the UDMA mod wire from the simple CF adapter

I've seen pictures of "double" CF adapters that can take two CF cards, one as slave and the other as master. Those would take up even more space though and cost more than 2 simple adapters, so that's why I got the two simple adapters.

It would be nice if there was an adapter with a jumper to enable high speed UDMA.

Reply 4 of 5, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
drosse1meyer wrote on 2020-12-04, 14:30:

Not sure clonezilla runs on older hardware, maybe I was missing something but I couldnt even get the earliest version to load on my P166.

To be fair, I'm not sure if it does either. I prefer my retro builds with mobil rack mounted hard drives so if it's necessary I can just as easily move hard drives between older and newer PCs than CF cards with those drive bay mounted CF-IDE adaptors. Then anything that can boot from USB has no issues with clonezilla.

289365_61322_73720.jpg 289373_43668_28982.jpg

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 5 of 5, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Buy some of these:

Capture3.PNG
Filename
Capture3.PNG
File size
141.7 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Print out something like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2454774
Then you have front swappable CF cards that you can boot from, along with a slave that can be your backup

My favorite CF cards have been the Dane-Elec CF cards, but the Lexar are nice too.