VOGONS

First post, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,

I have two 486 PCI boards with an Amibios and am trying to install windows for workgroups, which always fails. One board is an MSI MS-4145 the other one an Aopen AP43.
1. Install DOS -> No problems
2. Install Win3.11 -> Setup starts, requests second disk after a while. The first part of the setup completes to 100% and then tries to switch to the GUI part of the setup. But just at this step of the setup process the pc freezes. It is the same behaviour with both boards.

I tried different CPUs, RAM and GPUs. However, I coudln't figure out what is causing the freeze. I somehow think there is an incompatibility with windows for workgroups and Amibios... I have no issues installing everything on boards with an Award bios.

Do you guys have any idea what might cause this issue?

Reply 1 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Copy the disks to the HDD and run the install form there. this will confirm it's not the disk at fault which is what I'd be pointing the blame at first.
dos will complain if the disk is bad and cant read any of the files.

The "correct" way to do this is setup /a which will copy the contents of each disk to a folder for you, or you can simply copy the disks yourself.

you also have setup /i which will skip hardware detection

Reply 3 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can imagine setup integrates bios to find hardware settings. It mustn't like/understand the values amibios is giving back and locks up.
No big deal for 3.11 just means maybe you'll need to set correct resources for onboard ports and the like and any add on cards was always going to be done with driver disks anyway