VOGONS

First post, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I got a caddy for my 1X CDROM, plugged it into a 386 with DOS 5 on the original Future Domain card that it came with and copied the drivers over and made the correct changes in autoexec and config.

System booted up, go to read DIR on D:, and instantly get a read error. I tried many original discs that are not scratched and work in other computers. I opened up the unit (that precious copper tape...) and cleaned the lens, and left it open to watch how it behaves. It does spin the disc up, but when you access d:\ and issue a DIR command, instant CDR101 - If the disc slows down and stops, issuing a DIR command doesn't prompt the disc to spin. Without a disc the drive behaves identically. It seems to me it doesn't know a disc is loaded (I checked the various switches and sensors, to me they seem to be working at a cursory glance)

Xte55QPl.jpg

OK, could be a bad CDROM, it was made in 1992 and came from God knows where.

So I grabbed another SCSI CDROM (not sure if it works though)

72P0Gd8l.jpg

Doesn't work either. The drivers this time tell me to go fly a kite.

Next step, replace the FD card with an AHA 1520

470auqQl.jpg

I loaded the adaptec drivers and put the 1X (IBM CDROM) back in - drivers load, DIR command on D:\, instant

lmNxT9cl.jpg

Listing of autoexec and config (yes, I know there are two drivers, FDCD.SYS and ASPICD.SYS loaded here, I did REM them out in prior troubleshooting steps)

prg8oBhl.jpg

At this point, I removed all the unnecessary cards in the 386, and rebooted once with each CDROM connected and their proper drivers un-REM'd (IBM and the Pioneer 12x) - neither will give me a DIR listing.

I ran the adaptec diagnostics and the 1520 could see both CDROMS separately. I even tried changing the IDs, it followed.

Next step - put them in my 233MMX armed with an AHA 2940.

BIOS utility finds each drive:

Hk0dpYml.jpg

FGk7qhyl.jpg

However in Windows 98SE:

w0PZbe5l.jpg

What gives? Is it the drivers? It's been a while since I had to deal with SCSI, but back on my DLC system (~brainwave - I just now recalled where there's a third, last I used it working SCSI CDROM around here!) it just worked off the Adaptec drivers on NWDOS 7... Are these drives just bad? I find that hard to believe, as they won't even attempt to read, though the Pioneer unit under Windows 98 and the 2940 at least flashes the LED super briefly before giving a "not accessible" error.

Suggestions and/or proSCSI tips?

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 2 of 8, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote on 2020-12-09, 03:28:

Are the drives terminated at the end of the bus? Maybe you need some termpower as well to get the drives going.

Both drives have the resistor strips (packs?) in place on their end. They receive power and spin discs (I can see the 1x doing it - the 12x - disc comes out on the tray in different positions, plus I can hear it spin).

The 1520 has the jumper set to be terminated on board for the internal 50 pin connector (IIRC), but I don't have an external terminator out on the back of the card. I do have one somewhere, I'll try that, thanks.

I also have a 1542 SCSI card which I know works in yet another system, I'll give it a go with that.

Reply 4 of 8, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Disruptor wrote on 2020-12-09, 05:13:

Perhaps it does not like synchronous transfers.
Try to change it in controller's device settings.

I wouldn't be sure how to change that on the 8 bit Future Domain card, but IIRC it's in asynchronous mode on the 1520, and at the second-lowest transfer speed. I'll check it again though, thanks for the tips.

Reply 5 of 8, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quick update - the Pioneer unit was a dud. I took out a 4x SCSI CDROM from a working machine and it does work in both systems.

Pioneer's laser didn't even turn on when attempting to read discs. I poked around in it a little more, and I made it worse - now the drive won't even spin up. Not surprised, I've not had luck with Pioneer drive lasers in the past.

Ewaste pile.

I still don't know why the 1X doesn't want to work - the laser does articulate and shine - I will try putting in an audio CD and see if it will just play that by itself. I'm not giving up on a caddy loader so quickly 😉

Reply 6 of 8, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jed118 wrote on 2021-01-09, 23:32:
Quick update - the Pioneer unit was a dud. I took out a 4x SCSI CDROM from a working machine and it does work in both systems. […]
Show full quote

Quick update - the Pioneer unit was a dud. I took out a 4x SCSI CDROM from a working machine and it does work in both systems.

Pioneer's laser didn't even turn on when attempting to read discs. I poked around in it a little more, and I made it worse - now the drive won't even spin up. Not surprised, I've not had luck with Pioneer drive lasers in the past.

Ewaste pile.

I still don't know why the 1X doesn't want to work - the laser does articulate and shine - I will try putting in an audio CD and see if it will just play that by itself. I'm not giving up on a caddy loader so quickly 😉

I reckon that, either the laser on the 1x is out of phase. you could try and find the pots that adjust it and read up on a tutorial for adjusting faulty lasers in game consoles. I did this with success with a sega saturn about 9 years ago and it's still going strong today.
Or that the laser control board has weakened/worn capacitors, possible since 1x drives were deemed obsolete before 1995.
If not the laser, than the other possible cause of the problem would be a defective IC on the CD-ROMs logic board. some early Toshiba cd-roms had cache memory added to speed up data access and improve buffering and old mem chips can go bad.

I manage a pot-pourri of video matter...

Reply 7 of 8, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vic Zarratt wrote on 2023-01-05, 12:03:
I reckon that, either the laser on the 1x is out of phase. you could try and find the pots that adjust it and read up on a tutor […]
Show full quote
Jed118 wrote on 2021-01-09, 23:32:
Quick update - the Pioneer unit was a dud. I took out a 4x SCSI CDROM from a working machine and it does work in both systems. […]
Show full quote

Ewaste pile.

I reckon that, either the laser on the 1x is out of phase. you could try and find the pots that adjust it and read up on a tutorial for adjusting faulty lasers in game consoles. I did this with success with a sega saturn about 9 years ago and it's still going strong today.
Or that the laser control board has weakened/worn capacitors, possible since 1x drives were deemed obsolete before 1995.
If not the laser, than the other possible cause of the problem would be a defective IC on the CD-ROMs logic board. some early Toshiba cd-roms had cache memory added to speed up data access and improve buffering and old mem chips can go bad.

I've heard it may be worn caps. I'll start with that 😉

Reply 8 of 8, by original_meusli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Vic Zarratt wrote on 2023-01-05, 12:03:

I can confirm this, I have had to do this with a couple of original xbox's. It is the laser voltage throughput becoming weaker over time, there is usually a dial you can turn after removing a bit of glue to raise the voltage.