VOGONS

First post, by Bertert

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I'm wondering if industry mainboards are a good base for compatibility with many different cards and relatively low power consumptiuon. (provided you get it for a reasonable price.)
Are there possible problems?
With using a pci-isa bridge for example.
With ressource conflicts ? From the looks of the manual it's highly configurable.

The board I'm interested in is a mb892 : https://www.manualslib.com/manual/725032/Ibas … logy-Mb892.html
Socket 479 with Pentium M (1,8GHz 400MHz FSB),
has two DDR Slots,
2 IDE header
FDD header
AGP4x,
four PCI,
two ISA Slots.
also two Sata ports with a SiI3512 controller
6 USB 2.0 ports
32 pin Disk on Chip socket
Type II CF socket 1 port using IDE2 Slave channel (seems to be configurable)

Chipset Intel 855GME / 852GM Chipset:
PCI to ISA bridge Winbond 83628, 83629
Audio ICH4 Built-in Sound controller

Thanks

Reply 1 of 2, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Industrial" boards frequently offer interesting connector options, but otherwise they will have similar performance and power consumption to regular boards with same components. This would probably perform identically to an AOpen consumer board with So479, which means better IPC and lower power consumption than contemporary P4 systems, but nothing really special compared to later C2D or earlier P3 (Tualatin) systems.

That said, native CF is very nice if you want to run the sort of OS that fits on CF. As for ISA, the question is which bridge chip it has - does it support DMA? IIT bridges usually do, this one has Winbond 83628, 83629 - I'm not familiar with them.

Reply 2 of 2, by Bertert

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Seems to be a gamble : Could this be the ultimate fastest system with pure dos sound support?
I was aware that power consumption is more or less the same between consumer and industrial mainboar.
I was rather meaning a Pentium M using 21W is a relativerly low power and for DOS /9x / XP a capable processor?
But I guess I got enough hardware already 😁 if anybody else is interested and willing to take their chances with ISA support.
It's listed for 80€ on a well know internet auction site under "Mainboard IBASE MB892 2x ISA,,AGP,IDE,SATA,VGA,PCI,RS232"