VOGONS

First post, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I am trying to install VXD drivers for an ESS 1938S solo-1 card on my win 98 SE PC (P4 2.4 Ghz, 845GEBV2 mobo, 512 MB RAM). When the system is about to install the DOS emulation driver, I get a blue screen which states : A Fatal Exception 0E has occured at 0028:C0031B0A. The current application will be terminated.

Previously had a Cmedia 8738 card with its VXD drivers installed. However, had removed the drivers from control panel and also removed the entries from Autoexec.bat prior to installing the Solo-1 drivers. But still getting the blue screen. I was wondering if the previous drivers were not properly removed and causing conflict with Solo-1.
Could someone please help to fix this issue? Thanks.

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 1 of 2, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, here are some ideas that may (or not) help:
- Try a different version of the drivers. Have you checked these? https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ess-es1938s-solo-1.html
- Try moving the card to a different PCI slot.
- Try removing all other PCI cards (if any).
- Try updating the BIOS of the motherboard. I have the same one, there are updates for it.
- Try a live linux distro and see if it recognizes the card fine, just to make sure there is no hardware issue.
- Use the on-board soundcard. What does the ESS do that the onboard one can't? I only see the joystick port...

Reply 2 of 2, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello aha2940! I had taken the VXD drivers from Philscomputerlab site. Tried moving the pci card to a different slot, but same issue. The card works fine with WDM drivers. However, I am trying to install the VXd drivers specifically for dos games music/sfx support.

It looks like the issue is caused specifically by ESS vxd drivers. Had previously tried to install ESS Allegro sound card and its vxd drivers with the same result. However, this issue did not occur with crystal CS4281 nor Cmedia 8738 VXD drivers.

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP