VOGONS

First post, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My access to retro parts is pretty much ebay. As much as I would like to have a slot 1 P3 1000, getting a 100MHz FSB slot 1 is absolutely ridiculous ($295.00 for one currently). It looks like the slot adapter a a S370 P3 1000 is much more reasonable but I don't know how those work, what exactly to get. and if it will work with the board. P3 1GHz with an adapter is not listed under CPU support for the P3B-F but Celeron 1000 and 1100 is. Maybe that is right, maybe it didn't get updated. IDK.

Thanks for any help!

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 1 of 19, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are a number of slotkets that support high-end s370 cpu's like the PIII 1GHz and 1.1GHz, and the Celeron 1000MHz and 1100 MHz. It depends on what you want to spend. Just look around on Ebay and watch out for names like Asus S370-DL, Abit SlotKET III, Microstar Master MS-6905 to name some of the better known ones that have a good reputation.
One point of attention is the revision of your motherboard. Many 1.03 revisions will do fine and all 1.04 revisions will do too. It is possible you need a BIOS upgrade.

Reply 2 of 19, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2020-12-10, 15:10:

There are a number of slotkets that support high-end s370 cpu's like the PIII 1GHz and 1.1GHz, and the Celeron 1000MHz and 1100 MHz. It depends on what you want to spend. Just look around on Ebay and watch out for names like Asus S370-DL, Abit SlotKET III, Microstar Master MS-6905 to name some of the better known ones that have a good reputation.
One point of attention is the revision of your motherboard. Many 1.03 revisions will do fine and all 1.04 revisions will do too. It is possible you need a BIOS upgrade.

I have the latest beta BIOS. It is a Rev 1.03 but the website says that a 650MHz is 'Validated' since 1.04 but I've had a 650MHz in it. I did had a 933 in it as well (at 100FSB it ran at 700MHz). Maybe a 1GHz will work fine. Not willing to spend $295 to find out (I'd rather put that money toward a 3070 for my modern rig) Now its got an unlocked P2 400. With the Jumper-free BIOS, I can drop it to run at 133MHz for slower games if needed. The Voodoo 3 3000 is getting held back but it doesn't do too bad though. Was hoping to get past 650MHz.

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 3 of 19, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the prices for the 1 GHZ fsb 100 slot 1 cpu's are not consumer friendly anymore. The 800 MHz is the next best choice but not easy to find.
I have a P3B-F rev. 1.03 with a PIII 1GHz fsb 100 s370 on slotket and that works fine. The PIII 1GHz is slightly faster than the Celeron 1100.
If you decide on a slotket I would suggest looking for one with a frame. When you add a beefy heatsink (which those cpu's require) to a slotket without a frame it may become a bit unstable.
Oh, and when you hunt for a PIII 1GHz pay attention to the fsb, the majority of the ones in the wild are of the fsb 133 type.

Reply 4 of 19, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2020-12-10, 15:59:
Yes, the prices for the 1 GHZ fsb 100 slot 1 cpu's are not consumer friendly anymore. The 800 MHz is the next best choice but no […]
Show full quote

Yes, the prices for the 1 GHZ fsb 100 slot 1 cpu's are not consumer friendly anymore. The 800 MHz is the next best choice but not easy to find.
I have a P3B-F rev. 1.03 with a PIII 1GHz fsb 100 s370 on slotket and that works fine. The PIII 1GHz is slightly faster than the Celeron 1100.
If you decide on a slotket I would suggest looking for one with a frame. When you add a beefy heatsink (which those cpu's require) to a slotket without a frame it may become a bit unstable.
Oh, and when you hunt for a PIII 1GHz pay attention to the fsb, the majority of the ones in the wild are of the fsb 133 type.

If you know/remember, what model slot card and CPU do you have?

Thanks

Reply 5 of 19, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My P3B-F runs with a 1 GHz (SL5QV) on an Iwill slocket (see photo) and I have the same slotket on a P2B-S rev. 1.03 with an 1100 Celeron. But this is not a slotket brand that you will run into often on ebay , or so it seems. As said, there are plenty slotkets that support Coppermine fsb 100 cpu's. Some are better than others but in general they will provide an affordable solution when the real thing cannot be scored.

Iwillv20.jpg
Filename
Iwillv20.jpg
File size
153.73 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 6 of 19, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I decided to just get a slot Pentium III 700MHz ~$45. I think I'm just going to keep this as a Voodoo 3 rig and that should be enough I think.

Reply 7 of 19, by crvs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

P3B-F is a nice board, with a proper BIOS, you can go up to PIII Tualatin 1.4s / 133. I do not recommend using 'noname' SLOT1-S370 adapters though, they may have stability issues with FSB 100 and 133 MHz. Aforementioned Abit Slotket III would be a good choice, I have them working with Coppermine Celeron 1.1 / FSB 100, and (with a slight mod) with Tualatin PIII / FSB 133 as well.

Reply 8 of 19, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PARKE wrote on 2020-12-10, 17:49:

My P3B-F runs with a 1 GHz (SL5QV) on an Iwill slocket (see photo) and I have the same slotket on a P2B-S rev. 1.03 with an 1100 Celeron. But this is not a slotket brand that you will run into often on ebay , or so it seems. As said, there are plenty slotkets that support Coppermine fsb 100 cpu's. Some are better than others but in general they will provide an affordable solution when the real thing cannot be scored.Iwillv20.jpg

That board seems to have its own voltage regulator onboard, so probably will do CuMine on boards that don't go under 1.8V natively. That's the Rolls Royce of slockets and definitely not something you'll easily find unfortunately. I'm jealous 😉

Reply 9 of 19, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2020-12-13, 14:41:

That board seems to have its own voltage regulator onboard, so probably will do CuMine on boards that don't go under 1.8V natively. That's the Rolls Royce of slockets and definitely not something you'll easily find unfortunately. I'm jealous 😉

There is a review online that makes that claim but I doubt it is correct.
https://www.hardwarecentral.com/iwill-slocket-ii-review/
The onboard chip is a [6TL2010 C024434].

The wellknown Powerleap slotket that has an onboard VRM also has a coil plus a separate voltage supply which the Iwill does not have.
To me it seems that the Iwill is just like other jumpered slotkets ?

Last edited by PARKE on 2020-12-13, 15:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 19, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PARKE wrote on 2020-12-13, 14:55:
There is a review online that makes that claim but I doubt it is correct. https://www.hardwarecentral.com/iwill-slocket-ii-revi […]
Show full quote
dionb wrote on 2020-12-13, 14:41:

There is a review online that makes that claim but I doubt it is correct.
https://www.hardwarecentral.com/iwill-slocket-ii-review/
The onboard chip is a [6TL2010 C024434].

The wellknown Powerleap slotket that has an onboard VRM also has a coil plus a separate voltage supply wich the Iwill does not have.
To me it seems that the Iwill is just like other jumpered slotkets ?

Not really. If you compare it to say the MS-6905 (which I do have), it has the same logic IC on the lower left. But what the IWill Slocket II also has is a second IC/MOSFET-type-thing just under the jumper block, combined with more & bigger caps. I strongly suspect that that is a voltage regulator that takes the Vcc 2.0V from the slot and regulates it down to 1.6V. Something like the Torex XCL210 could do exactly that and contains an integrated coil, hence the absence on the PCB. This is an older device, so it's not exactly that one, but something similar seems very likely. Can you read the chip code from that black thing under the jumpers?

Reply 11 of 19, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2020-12-13, 15:25:

Not really. If you compare it to say the MS-6905 (which I do have), it has the same logic IC on the lower left. But what the IWill Slocket II also has is a second IC/MOSFET-type-thing just under the jumper block, combined with more & bigger caps. I strongly suspect that that is a voltage regulator that takes the Vcc 2.0V from the slot and regulates it down to 1.6V. Something like the Torex XCL210 could do exactly that and contains an integrated coil, hence the absence on the PCB. This is an older device, so it's not exactly that one, but something similar seems very likely. Can you read the chip code from that black thing under the jumpers?

That looks indeed like a mosfet. The code reads: RT9164 C62C91. Now you made me curious 😀.

Reply 12 of 19, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PARKE wrote on 2020-12-13, 16:02:

[...]

That looks indeed like a mosfet. The code reads: RT9164 C62C91. Now you made me curious 😀.

Yep 😀

https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/912011/Richtek/RT9164/1

That's an adjustable voltage regulator. Vin is reduced to Vout based on ADJ, which is generally generated with a voltage divider - which can be manipulated with the jumpers (imagine R1 as being a bunch of resistors that jumpers add in parallel or not):

RT9164.png
Filename
RT9164.png
File size
27.33 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

So yes, I'd say that this thing really is a voltage regulating slocket.

Reply 13 of 19, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My recommendation is to get a real slot 1 CPU, and my favorite when considering price/performance is the 700 MHz Coppermine, which can be easily overclocked to 933 MHz (and it will actually be faster than a 1 GHz/100 MHz FSB CPU).
Also, you have such a nice board, so why do you want to keep the FSB at 100 MHz?

GiSWiG wrote on 2020-12-13, 12:56:

I decided to just get a slot Pentium III 700MHz ~$45. I think I'm just going to keep this as a Voodoo 3 rig and that should be enough I think.

EDIT: OK, never mind 😁 Anyway, try and increase the FSB to 133 MHz - you might be surprised, but there's a good chance that it will work without a voltage bump, particularly with newer CPU revisions. Also, your board can maintain the default 33 MHz PCI bus frequency when the FSB is running at 133 MHz (see the manual).

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 14 of 19, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Having a quick look at the datasheet the RT9164 is rated to provide 2A max so I'm doubtful it is used to generate Vcore on the slotket.
I'm pretty sure the IWill Slotket II relies on the motherboard VRM to generate Vcore.

Reply 15 of 19, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Iwill looks similar to this one of mine from QDI - dont know it's any better than the ones I have from ABIT or MSI, but it certainly looks 'beefier' 😀

QDI cpu card v5.1.JPG
Filename
QDI cpu card v5.1.JPG
File size
1.17 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
Socket 370 CPU Card( V5.1).pdf
File size
55.52 KiB
Downloads
62 downloads
File license
Filename
ame1084.pdf
File size
153.49 KiB
Downloads
54 downloads
File license

Reply 16 of 19, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2020-12-13, 18:11:
https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/912011/Richtek/RT9164/1 That's an adjustable voltage regulator. Vin is reduced to Vout based […]
Show full quote

https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/912011/Richtek/RT9164/1
That's an adjustable voltage regulator. Vin is reduced to Vout based on ADJ, which is generally generated with a voltage divider - which can be manipulated with the jumpers (imagine R1 as being a bunch of resistors that jumpers add in parallel or not):
RT9164.png
So yes, I'd say that this thing really is a voltage regulating slocket.

Thanks for the explanation. Alas, I cannot test it because I don't have a motherboard that produces only 1.8v-3.5v.

Reply 17 of 19, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GiSWiG wrote on 2020-12-13, 12:56:

That should do.
On my P3B-F the Voodoo 3 3500 runs out of breath around 800MHz so you don't miss much with a 700.

Reply 18 of 19, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crvs wrote on 2020-12-13, 14:16:

I do not recommend using 'noname' SLOT1-S370 adapters though, they may have stability issues with FSB 100 and 133 MHz.

This is just for better understanding the issue. As a result of certain slotket questions on Vogons recently I did some digging into background. One source for first generation (to call them so) Mendocino slotkets was a dutch 1999 review into some 20 different brands.
It turned out that the majority of 'no name' slotkets can be tracked back to origins. The majority of slotkets were produced by motherboard manufacterers and in some cases the slotkets were produced for a particular motherboard or limited set of motherboards. That would explain why on other boards the stability can show 'issues'. Another problem was that some of the early Mendocino slotkets did not behave well when pushed to 100 MHz let alone 133MHz. Some of these 'problem' slotkets are still on offer via Ebay and it is not always made clear by sellers what the limitations are.
Another, smaller, group of producers specialized in so called 'upgrades' and were not directly involved with motherboard production, these are marked with * below here. Powerleap and Upgradeware are the best known brands today.
Anyway, here a list (probably incomplete) of past slotket producers with mention of certain name versions or clones in brackets:
1 // A-Max
2 // A-Trend
3 // A-Win
4 // AA (?)
5 // Abit
6 // Acorp
7 // Aopen
8 // Asus
9 // Azza
10 // Biostar
11 // Chaintech
12 // ECS / Madex (Magic Pro)
13 // Eagle
14 // Epox (2theMax)
15 // *Evergreen
16 // FIC
17 // Fastfame (Startech PPGA2SLOT)
18 // Gigabyte
19 // Iwill
20 // J-Bond
21 // *Kingston
22 // Luckystar S9 / Image World
23 // Matrix
24 // Maxtium (Super Slocket-III)
25 // Microstar
26 // *New Wave Upgrades
27 // *Powerleap
28 // Procomp
29 // QDI
30 // Shuttle
31 // Soltek
32 // Soyo
33 // Supermicro
34 // TMC
35 // Tekram
36 // Transcend
37 // *Upgradeware

Reply 19 of 19, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Get the fastest SDRAM you can find and the BX will amaze you!

I have the same board, same revision and latest bios. Currently it runs a P3-933 stable... at 150MHz fsb and a large socket A heat sink.
The slot converter is a noname of the most basic kind.

With these speeds it may become picky about the graphics cards as the AGP bus will run at 100MHz. So ATI will be out of the question. Don't know about voodoos. I run a GF4 mx480 in it and works fine! It gets throughput capabilities around 'agp 3x' speed (if such existed)

The P3B-f indeed provides the right pci divider for 133MHz fsb, so at 150 the pci bus 'only' runs at 38, which most cards accept without a problem. Sound, fast ATA and Lan keep working without a problem 😀

Who would have thought the good ol' Pentium 2 chipset would get up to these speeds back in '98 anyway?

Stuck at 10MHz...