VOGONS

Reply 22 of 31, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many (most) of the FIC LPX mainboards were OEM models for certain companies like Aquanta, IPC, Wernes, Unisys, Peacock and others.

In many cases it´s very difficult to find the proprietary ISA / PCI / VLB riser cards today.

Reply 23 of 31, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The case with riser was trashed before i was able to save the motherboard 😒
The great thing is that almost everything is integrated but a sound card is really missing.
Being a full ISA motherboard, I think the integrated video card do the job fine and that an upgrable wouldn't have improved anything...
There was a 486SX25 on it and I recently upgraded to a DX2 50...with no onboard L2 cache, and 25Mhz system bus, it's not a fast 486 and i can't even play doom on it but olders games are OK. Wish it had at least a bus speed jumper 😁

Reply 24 of 31, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can change the bus speed, you just need to swap the 50MHz crystal for a 66MHz one and it should work.
The cache can be installed as well of course.
As for the riser, with some work I'm sure it could be remade.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 25 of 31, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, but i can't find it shipped for a correct price.
I think that the limiting gaming abilities of the card is due to ISA bus and I don't know if upgrading the cache will add more juice to video speed ?
Concerning the riser, i'm not good enough at electronic to remade a piece like this...i'm really really far from that 😁

Reply 26 of 31, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think this should be fine 😀 https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-66-000MHz-66-MH … -oAAOSwojdbRWCt

33MHz bus and cache should speed up that thing quite a lot !
Cache does make a difference. Also if you bios let you tweak memory settings, try to tighten the timings to increase the performance. It can improve a lot !

It's also possible that the video chip is connected to vlb on the PCB so you already have ok performance there.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 27 of 31, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2020-12-13, 11:50:

The qdi photo is top !

The other one is a bit blurry but I could identify it 😀
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/2396

I also have this board in my P133 PC, and mine has a BIOS version 3.61 which you don't have on the site. Want me to dump it?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 28 of 31, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Deksor for your search.

I think that my CL5422 version is an ISA one. I've tried Phil's benchmarks suite and the video speed is realy slow.
Yes, sure the cache will speed up the system but I think that the limiting factor is the CL5422 on the ISA slot and i'm not sure that I will see any difference with onboard cache in gaming...but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for the riser link and the crystal one. Concerning the crystal, isn't it a problem that the speed is 66 instead of 66.6666...Mhz ?
For the riser, it looks compatible.
To be honnest, crystal may be a future buy, but riser and cache are too expensive and I'm note sure this motherboard upgrade make sense. I'm keeping it and seeking for a better 486 board, with 3V support and, why not, PCI ?

Thanks for taking some time to help me !

Reply 30 of 31, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-12-14, 13:51:
Deksor wrote on 2020-12-13, 11:50:

The qdi photo is top !

The other one is a bit blurry but I could identify it 😀
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/2396

I also have this board in my P133 PC, and mine has a BIOS version 3.61 which you don't have on the site. Want me to dump it?

Absolutely !

As for the video card how slow is it actually ? Not all ISA cards are equal !