VOGONS

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah yeah not old hardware but the interface is VGA so I'm counting it.

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdet … #Specifications

max res is supposedly 1920x1080 but memory is 16mb? I'm guessing they are listing that res due to it's purpose to be used in a server room using smaller monitors.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 9, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How bizarre 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 9, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This makes me want to buy a brand a new system with an Ryzen 9 5950X, X570 board, 128GB of the fastest DDR4 I can get, a 4TB NVMe SSD and one of these for a video card, connected to an old 640x480@60Hz CRT.

I would hang out on gamer forums\reddit and complain about game performance, while proudly displaying my specs.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 3 of 9, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2020-12-15, 00:23:

This makes me want to buy a brand a new system with an Ryzen 9 5950X, X570 board, 128GB of the fastest DDR4 I can get, a 4TB NVMe SSD and one of these for a video card, connected to an old 640x480@60Hz CRT.

I would hang out on gamer forums\reddit and complain about game performance, while proudly displaying my specs.

That sounds logical to me 😀

Big question is - can it run Crysis?

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 4 of 9, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2020-12-14, 21:36:

max res is supposedly 1920x1080 but memory is 16mb? I'm guessing they are listing that res due to it's purpose to be used in a server room using smaller monitors.

1920x1080x4 (32bpp) = just under 8MB. They must have been feeling fancy and added another 8MB to give two separate framebuffers.

Reply 5 of 9, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder what's the price. It's industrial hardware, so half of new RTX3060? 😉

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 6 of 9, by etomcat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

> Big question is - can it run Crysis?

The big question is - can it mine?
(The M.2 slot provides PCIe 1x bus and big 16x cards are sometimes attached there to mine more Ethereum in systems that have ran out of full-size card sockets. Some modern VGA cards can do headless hash-crunching on just PCIe 1x link if enough electrical power is provided otherwise. Allegedly such cards are sold like new after spending a year in the mine and quickly fail in graphics display use...)
BR: Tamas Feher.

Reply 7 of 9, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It wouldn't because it's basically just a framebuffer with a DAC. There's no GPU to do any processing.

There's nothing wrong with running pcie 16x cards in 1x slots; it works for mining because the card doesn't really need to talk much to the CPU or system ram, it just crunches numbers and returns a positive or negative result.

Reply 8 of 9, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
etomcat wrote on 2021-03-14, 12:50:
> Big question is - can it run Crysis? […]
Show full quote

> Big question is - can it run Crysis?

The big question is - can it mine?
(The M.2 slot provides PCIe 1x bus and big 16x cards are sometimes attached there to mine more Ethereum in systems that have ran out of full-size card sockets. Some modern VGA cards can do headless hash-crunching on just PCIe 1x link if enough electrical power is provided otherwise. Allegedly such cards are sold like new after spending a year in the mine and quickly fail in graphics display use...)
BR: Tamas Feher.

Cards used for mining are generally underclocked and configured to use less power, because this directly reduces cost.

The general consensus these days is that mining cards being sold for a steep discount are a good option for those on a budget. The biggest concern tends to be that the fans have a lot of run time and there's no telling how long they'll last.

I've had a few opportunities to get used mining cards over the last 5 years but I never took the plunge. If the setup they came from looked decent I wouldn't worry about them. If the photos show them caked with dust in a grimey looking environment though... No.

Also, why are you bumping so many old threads? Please check the dates when posting.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 9 of 9, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2020-12-15, 00:30:
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2020-12-15, 00:23:

That sounds logical to me 😀

Big question is - can it run Crysis?

Amazingly, with Windows 10, probably yes.