VOGONS

Reply 20 of 21, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What's the PLD ? Do you mean the GALV16 chip ? If so, sure ! I have no way of storing it right now, but as it can be incredibly useful, I'll add that feature !

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 21 of 21, by jdgabard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2021-01-03, 10:30:

What's the PLD ? Do you mean the GALV16 chip ? If so, sure ! I have no way of storing it right now, but as it can be incredibly useful, I'll add that feature !

Yes, GAL16V8, 20V10, 22V10, etc are what are called PLDs. Or "programmable logic devices". And in reality, prior to this they would have used PROMs or EPROMs to simulate this type of logic device... PLDs are used for I/O and Memory decoding usually. So with a given I/O address, they'll give a 'chip select' signal (usually an active low signal), which then signals an IC of a Write, Read, or Access in the case of a Tri-State IC such as the 74LS245s on the ISA bus.

If these chips die (and they do sometimes, either from bitrot , or age, or damage), then your board may still work, but without functionality. I.e., the Process is running, but may not be able to access the ISA slots, or the Cache, or in some case the Memory. This particular PLD looks to be used in the ISA glue logic of this board.

I've attached a zip file here. It includes the original PAL Jedec, a EQN file for OpalJr made from the original JEDEC. As well as two versions of the JEDEC for the GAL16V8. One from EQN2JED and one created from the original JEDEC using PAL2GAL. That way if someone needs it, it gives them options for which variant they can use.

Attachments

• Filename
    386sxmbPLD.zip
    File size
    3.53 KiB
    Downloads
    46 downloads
    File license
    Public domain