VOGONS

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm trying to get as low of a Speedsys score as I can with a Socket 3 board. the board I am using is an ASUS PVI-486AP4 because I have a 4Mhz fsb available.

Caches are disabled and timings are set to slowest in the BIOS.

Currently my lowest is 0.55 with an Intel 486SX-33 at ~4Mhz.

Second lowest is 0.57 with a Cyrix 5x86 running at ~4Mhz.

An Intel 486DX-50 at ~4Mhz is faster with a score of 0.67.

A POD83 at ~4Mhz gets a score of 0.82.

Are there any Socket 3 CPUs out there that had lower IPC that can do a 1x multiplier?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cyrix should be slightly slower, UMC probably faster. No clue about 1x multiplier though

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, actually looking at it, UMC is faster - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQEdPQDXdLY

So original Cyrix 486 is the slowest option available.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not so sure the Cyrix would be the slowest. It did get the highest score in Speedsys ..

Hmmm.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 6, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The tangible, real-life differences between Cyrix and Intel/AMD 486s are negligible at best, not counting Cyrix's 486SLC/DLC parts, or the 486S parts with the smaller cache.
Sometimes the benchmarks paint one in favor of another, but the real-life effect is far too small to be noteworthy.

UMC's U5SX OTOH is a good deal faster per-clock than Cyrix, Intel or AMD 486SX's, but motherboard support tends to be a little spotty, at least according to RedHill.au's guide.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 6 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right. I am really just looking for the lowest Speedsys scores for now. The other benchmarks show a different story so I am just concentrating on this one for now.

And cache being enabled vs disabled could completely change the end result in respect to which processor returns the lowest score.

This motherboard doesn't even pretend to have official support for the Cyrix 5x86. It works, but no 5x86 optimizations are enabled and it thinks it is a 80487sx. I can enable at least some optimizations with one of the register changer programs and it seems to work just fine despite no BIOS support.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK