VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have been busy to fix this 286 motherboard.

As now i replaced the keyboard connector and give the isa slot an Deoxit D5 threatment.

For now everything works just fine. The motherboard have a 286 Phoenix bios version 4.00
Now i look at the harddisk parameters to setup a hard drive.
I know that this board is older then regular 286 board. Iam guessing its from 1988..

When i looked at harddisk drive type 47 it seems the be a fixed one.. Normally iam used to use a User type drive 47..

Now my question is>

Is there a new Phoenix bios version available which its later and supports drive type 47 as a User input.

The other problem is: in bios its giving me 6266KB of Extended memory... But there is only installed 1024KB actually.. What could maybe be wrong? Just a jumper setting incorrectly or maybe a harder problem to solve? Does anyone have a solution for it?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 3, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you make a photo of your motherboard ?

You could try to install XTIDE on a ROM to use any ide hdd up to 128gb

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 3, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thats not really i wanted to do Installing XTIDE ROM..

Maybe Award or AMI bios have better options.. Dont need to install 128GB hdd to it. If it can drive till 550 MB ill be fine.
The max what the motherboard can do now is about 120MB at the max.. Which for my purposes is a litte bit to limited.

Photo i will make tonight if i can.

Its the same like this one:

file.php?id=63426&mode=view

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3 of 3, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These suntac boards are hopelessly slow. There are handful of things they can handle well. That's kilobytes of programs and games each.
Saying this because you may very well fit within the 120mb disk space and save yourself the trouble with bioses and stuff, unless your goal is to actually "hack" it.

retro bits and bytes