VOGONS

Evergreen 486 SuperChip - settings for DIP switch?

Topic actions

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone have the DIP switch settings for these Evergreen 486 SuperChips? They allow you to use a Cyrix 486SLC on a 286. Thanks.

EDIT: Found them. Attached in pdf here:

Filename
Evergreen_486_SuperChip_DIP_Switches.pdf
File size
634.73 KiB
Downloads
64 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Evergreen_486_SuperChip_feipoa.jpg
Filename
Evergreen_486_SuperChip_feipoa.jpg
File size
604.73 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

EDIT2: in text as well

SW1
ON = Double CPU speed using a 2x multiplier on the Evergreen interposer (not on the CPU)
OFF = Do not use Evergreen's 2x multiplier, meaning that it uses 1x

SW2
ON = Set for AST, Sperry, Unisys, etc. Used to obtain compatibility in systems having a slightly proprietary architecture
OFF = Set for IBM, Compaq, etc.

SW3
ON = Set SuperChip to match a system with a 16 MHz system clock
OFF = Not 16 MHz system

SW4
ON = Set SuperChip to match a system with a 12 MHz system clock
OFF = Not 12 MHz system

SW5
ON = Set SuperChip to match a system with a 10 MHz system clock
Off = Not 10 MHz system

SW6
ON = Set SuperChip to match a system with a 8 MHz system clock
OFF = Not 8 MHz system

SW7
ON = Set SuperChip to match a system with a 6 MHz system clock
OFF = Not a 6 MHz system

SW8
Always ON factory setting.
Last edited by feipoa on 2022-09-14, 09:32. Edited 2 times in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 174, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Am I the only one who owns one of these? If you have one, could you at least share a photo of yours so I can see what the DIP switch settings are?

Reply 2 of 174, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote on 2021-01-16, 21:43:

Am I the only one who owns one of these? If you have one, could you at least share a photo of yours so I can see what the DIP switch settings are?

You might be the only one here with one. Here is a picture of one with CX486slc + 87slc-25, you can see the switch positions...probably already saw it...
https://wiki.preterhuman.net/Evergreen_Techno … 6superchip1.jpg

here is another picture of the 486 superchip with 87slc-33 and it's DIP settings

Attachments

• 486superchip1.jpg
    Filename
    486superchip1.jpg
    File size
    462.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 486 superchip.jpg
    Filename
    486 superchip.jpg
    File size
    311.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 174, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2021-01-16, 22:55:

You might be the only one here with one.

Oh? I guess I can pay off my mortgage sooner than I thought!

Thank you. I hadn't seen that second photo. It is very helpful. The second photo has the same PAL revision stickers that my unit has.

So from the 3 photos shown in this thread, DIP 6 & 2 are likely related to the FPU as, both your 1st and 2nd photo agree on these, that is 2:ON, 6:OFF. The uncertainly is with DIP 4 and 5. Your 2nd photo shows 4:ON, 5:OFF; while your first photo shows 4:OFF, 5:ON. On my unit without FPU, 4 and 5 are both OFF.

Why would these two units be in disagreement? Is it because the revision numbers on the PALs are different, or is there more than one way to turn on the FPU with different requirements?

Reply 4 of 174, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iam not playing with such devices. Iam just a regular guy who only owns cpus and motherboards.. And building a working system out of it. (and have a lot of spares left, for repair or replacement)
But can image that the 486 super chip, is a very rare device these days.. Never seen them on ebay or so.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 5 of 174, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote on 2021-01-17, 02:06:
Oh? I guess I can pay off my mortgage sooner than I thought! […]
Show full quote
Horun wrote on 2021-01-16, 22:55:

You might be the only one here with one.

Oh? I guess I can pay off my mortgage sooner than I thought!

Thank you. I hadn't seen that second photo. It is very helpful. The second photo has the same PAL revision stickers that my unit has.

So from the 3 photos shown in this thread, DIP 6 & 2 are likely related to the FPU as, both your 1st and 2nd photo agree on these, that is 2:ON, 6:OFF. The uncertainly is with DIP 4 and 5. Your 2nd photo shows 4:ON, 5:OFF; while your first photo shows 4:OFF, 5:ON. On my unit without FPU, 4 and 5 are both OFF.

Why would these two units be in disagreement? Is it because the revision numbers on the PALs are different, or is there more than one way to turn on the FPU with different requirements?

Ok agree ! I looked over the dips too and figured that 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8 are same with either FPU and same CPU. So 4 & 5 could be Sync / Async mode and/or FPU speed setting.
Possible because of diff PALS but then they would have to have made diff docs for each revision (highly possible !). Also possible 6 is for CX or TX though technically the same maybe a slight variant ???
Attached a text file with the 1992 announcement of your Evergreen from a monthly tech bulletin and my quick similarity in dip settings... nothin special but the price of $499 w/FPU on release is interesting

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 174, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was planning on desoldering the Cyrix/TI 486SLC with some Chip Quick (have had it sitting in a bit for over 25 years now and never used it!) and replacing it with a Ti 486SXLC2-50. Hence I was hoping to figure out what the rest of those DIP switches do. Perhaps some of them relate to the SXLC variant, its cache size, cache invalidation and its multiplier. Evergreen certainly made upgrade modules based on the Ti 486SXL2-50/66, so it is possible that some of the DIP switches on the 486 SuperChip were for an SXLC option.

Horun, could be, but I think the Intel i387 FPU was the only 387 FPU which could do async mode, and as both of the photos show a Cyrix FPU, I'd expect the sync/async setting to be the same. Both have the same FPU speed as well.

My best guess is that some of the switches turn are to:
a) enable L1 cache
b) enable L1 cache, but no cache for FPU
c) disable L1 cache

Horun, is that table yours, or you found it on the web?

The DIP switch settings for 486 Superchip for 286 from pictures posted (No Guarentee they are proper or I got it right):
All pictures included a TX486SLC-25 or CX486SLC-25, the FPU are all CX87SLC
DIP NO FPU 25Mhz FPU 33Mhz FPU Common w/FPU Common for all
1 ON ON ON * *
2 OFF ON ON *
3 OFF OFF OFF * *
4 OFF OFF ON
5 OFF ON OFF
6 ON OFF OFF *
7 OFF OFF OFF * *
8 ON ON ON * *

So the difference between 1st and 2nd photo you posted are for 25 MHz vs. 33 MHz FPUs? Allowing for a faster FPU, wasn't this for Intel FPUs only?

Reply 8 of 174, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-01-17, 03:47:

As rare as that thing is it might actually be worth several hundred, I don't know that I'd go hacking on it.

Should clone the pcb and gals and build new units using better CPUs.

I almost considered buying one of those 286-486-66mhz evergreen duhickies unit I found the high level of compatibility issues and the price.

For less money I could get all the multimedia upgrades at once in a new PC.

Unfortunate these overdrives weren’t priced more competitively in the day.

Reply 9 of 174, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes I made that table from the pics, could be wrong but think it is ok.
According to ChipDB the 87slc-25 is 25mhz and 87slc-33 is 33mhz.
http://www.chipdb.org/img-cyrix-cx87slc-33-qp-6536.htm
http://www.chipdb.org/img-cyrix-cx87slc-v25qp-447.htm
The only Cyrix cx87 datasheet found (so far) is for 87slc-25

Reply 10 of 174, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-01-17, 03:47:

As rare as that thing is it might actually be worth several hundred, I don't know that I'd go hacking on it.

I'm not in this for the money. I'll be replacing the CPU when COVID is over. I'll also be soldering on that FPU. These may have even come with an SXLC2 -40 or -50 at some point.
I do have another 286 PGA upgrade, but it only upgrades the system to a 386SX-33. It is made by Kingson and has some cache built onto the interposer. I figured this Evergreen, having a CPU with L1 cache already, would make a better candidate for soldering on a SXLC2-50.

Unfortunately, my wife has commandeered my computer room for work-from-home space and her standing desk add-on unit makes it impossible to use my workbench.

Horun, well I'm pretty sure you couldn't run these Cyrix FPU's async, so to get 33 Mhz out of the FPU, the CPU would also be running at 33 MHz, meaning it would be upgrading a Harris 16 MHz 286? User Anonymous Coward knows a lot more about 286 upgrades than I do, perhaps he will chime in.

Reply 12 of 174, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it never goes away, then it will have to wait for the home expansion project. Unfortunately construction is too hot here right now to even get quotes.

Reply 13 of 174, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Question, from reading this thread it almost sounds like the settings you expect those switches to control are unlikely to damage the cpu if set wrong. If you can’t figure out a setting or just want to make sure you may be able to try them one at a time and record results shown in a cpu analizer program.

I agree about the need for interposer board gerbers for old computer processor sockets.

I personally would love to be able to order a board that I could solder a tillamook 300 to. To be able to replicate that golden chinese fake/notfake pentium 1 300

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 14 of 174, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most likely, I will trace out where each switch goes and try to make some guestimate as to what their purpose is.

Reply 15 of 174, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote on 2021-01-17, 05:17:

Horun, well I'm pretty sure you couldn't run these Cyrix FPU's async, so to get 33 Mhz out of the FPU, the CPU would also be running at 33 MHz, meaning it would be upgrading a Harris 16 MHz 286? User Anonymous Coward knows a lot more about 286 upgrades than I do, perhaps he will chime in.

But the cpu on that one with 33Mhz FPU is still a 25Mhz version CPU. Another thought is that someone added the 33Mhz FPU to a non-fpu interposer because they had one.
Or maybe Evergreen just got a great price on them and said 'sure send them' 😀

Reply 16 of 174, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2021-01-18, 01:58:
feipoa wrote on 2021-01-17, 05:17:

But the cpu on that one with 33Mhz FPU is still a 25Mhz version CPU. Another thought is that someone added the 33Mhz FPU to a non-fpu interposer because they had one.
Or maybe Evergreen just got a great price on them and said 'sure send them' :)

I think it was a condition of availability, price, or both. I've seen 40 MHz FPUs on many 386 interposers which only run the FSB at 25 MHz. But your point is certainly valid about the DIP switch settings being different with different FPUs installed. However, the PAL versions are also different. Need more information!

Reply 17 of 174, by Skip94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I received a 286 motherboard today that has one of these installed, but I'm afraid I know absolutely nothing about it. I can take a pic of the current settings, it it will help.
Skip

Reply 18 of 174, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skip94 wrote on 2021-01-18, 02:48:

I received a 286 motherboard today that has one of these installed, but I'm afraid I know absolutely nothing about it. I can take a pic of the current settings, it it will help.
Skip

Yes, if you could, please upload a photo of your Evergreen 486 SuperChip so we can see which FPU, CPU, PAL revisions, and DIP settings are used. Thanks a lot!