VOGONS

First post, by RetroLaptopy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there! I'm building small and compact custom retro rig. I was wondering is my 80W passive ATX PSU can handle Socket 7 Pentium 233MHz MMX with 128MB DIMM RAM, ATI Rage II PCI, Sound Blaster AVE64 ISA, 3,5" HDD and CD-ROM drive? What do you think? PSU model is Minebea Electronics (UK) Ltd S26113-E443-V20

Attachments

• 90w.jpg
    Filename
    90w.jpg
    File size
    43.03 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

C:/RetroLaptopy

Reply 1 of 13, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends on how many amps it has on +5V line (i can't see clearly on the photo). I looked up the specs and it shows 12 amps. IMO 3,5" HDD and CD-ROM may be a bit too much, but it would be best to use a power consumption meter ("kill-a-watt" style) and see how many watts it takes from the wall. If it is below 60W then you should be safe, if it's more, then you may be pushing it to the limits.
With CF card used for storage it should be definitely safer.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 2 of 13, by RetroLaptopy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
adalbert wrote on 2021-01-16, 14:27:

Depends on how many amps it has on +5V line (i can't see clearly on the photo). I looked up the specs and it shows 12 amps. IMO 3,5" HDD and CD-ROM may be a bit too much, but it would be best to use a power consumption meter ("kill-a-watt" style) and see how many watts it takes from the wall. If it is below 60W then you should be safe, if it's more, then you may be pushing it to the limits.
With CF card used for storage it should be definitely safer.

MAIN OUTPUT
+5V 12A
+12V 2A (3,5A 10sec)
+3,3V 8A (10A 200ms)
-12V 0,4A
AUX +5V 2A MAX
MAX output power 80W
COMBINED +5V & 3,3V
LOADING 70W MAX

Reply 3 of 13, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look on your CD drive and HDD label and see if there is specified how many amps it takes. I guess it should be something around 1,5A on +5V and 1A on +12V for each.

P233MMX is around 4A from +5V line (20 watts)
HDD 1,5A +5V (7,5W), 1A +12V (12W)
CD 1,5A +5V (7,5W), 1A +12V (12W)
other components - ? let's say 2A on +5V on each (mainboard, video, sound) = 6A (30w)

so you may have around 65W on +5V and 24W on +12V. That coud exceed the limit a bit. But maybe in reality it doesn't take so much power. HDD and CD consumes most of power only when spinning up. Anyway, if you would use CF card, or laptop 2,5" drive, instead of 3,5" HDD it should definitely help with decreasing the power consumption.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 4 of 13, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd start by setting it up with a 120W or greater PSU, and see how much it draws from the wall to be sure. The earliest ATI card that the power draw is known for is the Radeon VE and 7000, at 23W. Don't know any more than others here about other parts.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 5 of 13, by RetroLaptopy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
adalbert wrote on 2021-01-16, 14:46:
Look on your CD drive and HDD label and see if there is specified how many amps it takes. I guess it should be something around […]
Show full quote

Look on your CD drive and HDD label and see if there is specified how many amps it takes. I guess it should be something around 1,5A on +5V and 1A on +12V for each.

P233MMX is around 4A from +5V line (20 watts)
HDD 1,5A +5V (7,5W), 1A +12V (12W)
CD 1,5A +5V (7,5W), 1A +12V (12W)
other components - ? let's say 2A on +5V on each (mainboard, video, sound) = 6A (30w)

so you may have around 65W on +5V and 24W on +12V. That coud exceed the limit a bit. But maybe in reality it doesn't take so much power. HDD and CD consumes most of power only when spinning up. Anyway, if you would use CF card, or laptop 2,5" drive, instead of 3,5" HDD it should definitely help with decreasing the power consumption.

I'm considering: both 4GB CF IDE or CF (for DOS/Windows 95) and laptop 2.5" IDE drive (I have IBM Travelstar 4,86GB with 5V 500mA). Ultimately i drop CD-ROM (my mainboard has one USB 1.0 port so I can plug-in external usb CD-ROM with own ac adapter).

Reply 6 of 13, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should be enough, if Compaq Deskpro SFF with PII 350 Deschutes, slim CD-ROM, 2x128 MB SDRAM, 80 GB HDD, 3,5" FDD, onboard 4-8 MB ATI Rage and ESS Audiodrive has 90W PSU. And work fine even with PIII 550 Katmai and Voodoo3 2k PCI.

Attachments

• dp7.jpg
    Filename
    dp7.jpg
    File size
    128.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • dp9.jpg
    Filename
    dp9.jpg
    File size
    171.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 7 of 13, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In general if you consider the total amount of heat that a system makes you have an idea about how much power it’s drawing. Knowing that, many pentiums were able to be passively cooled. I would say you have a pretty decent chance of powering it it with 80w but it it may be kinda close. You would improve your chances with a ssd or cf card to ide adapter and no disk drives. 🤷‍♂️Try and see.

I myself was considering running my k6 build on a 150w pico psu.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 9 of 13, by RetroLaptopy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-17, 21:22:

In general if you consider the total amount of heat that a system makes you have an idea about how much power it’s drawing. Knowing that, many pentiums were able to be passively cooled. I would say you have a pretty decent chance of powering it it with 80w but it it may be kinda close. You would improve your chances with a ssd or cf card to ide adapter and no disk drives. 🤷‍♂️Try and see.

I used cheap pico psu with Zida BX98 AT mainboard with Celeron 466 and Riva TNT M64. Except ISA sound card not running (lack of negative voltage in my pico psu) system was stable. Powered with Dell laptop AC adapter.

My Pentium MMX has custom, bigger radiator. Planning to use only one 120mm 0,18A fan for whole build. I design my own computer case (cube like), in future i share some photos from build vlog. Availability decent AT computer case in good shape is very low here where i live. Thats why i consider building my own "retro cube".
-

Last edited by RetroLaptopy on 2022-05-18, 18:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 13, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroLaptopy wrote on 2021-01-18, 22:35:
I used cheap pico psu with Zida BX98 AT mainboard with Celeron 466 and Riva TNT M64. Except ISA sound card not running (lack of […]
Show full quote
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-17, 21:22:

I used cheap pico psu with Zida BX98 AT mainboard with Celeron 466 and Riva TNT M64. Except ISA sound card not running (lack of negative voltage in my pico psu) system was stable. Powered with Dell laptop AC adapter.

My Pentium MMX has custom, bigger radiator. Planning to use only one 120mm 0,18A fan for whole build. I design my own computer case (cube like), in future i share some photos from build vlog. Availability decent AT computer case in good shape is very low here where i live. Thats why i consider building my own "retro cube".
I have expirience with similar build called "Minecraft PC" so efficient cooling etc are my strong points. Here are some photos.

Haha that case is awesome 🤣!! Very nice!!

Man, I hadn’t even thought about the lack of negative voltage. Good catch! That may have caused problems for me. Lucked out.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 11 of 13, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice build, anyway - it´s paper box? Good job!
Passive only cooling had not only P200MMX in my former Compaq Deskpro 2000, but PII 350 in Deskpro SFF EN above mentioned. Even PIII 550 from this has big radiator with only small (probably 2") fan. Of course, air stream is supplied by PSU fan.

Reply 12 of 13, by RetroLaptopy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2021-01-19, 11:27:

Nice build, anyway - it´s paper box? Good job!
Passive only cooling had not only P200MMX in my former Compaq Deskpro 2000, but PII 350 in Deskpro SFF EN above mentioned. Even PIII 550 from this has big radiator with only small (probably 2") fan. Of course, air stream is supplied by PSU fan.

It's medium-density fibreboard (MDF) - with laser printed sticker. I drilled some wenting holes on the bottom side. I made two computers like this. One has Pentium G2020 second one Core i3, Radeon HD6770, SSD 120GB and 320GB WD HDD. Working decent back in the days (2015).

Attachments

• box1.jpg
    Filename
    box1.jpg
    File size
    164.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • box2.jpg
    Filename
    box2.jpg