VOGONS

First post, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a AOpen AP53 from 1996 with the 430HX chipset, it can support 512 MB RAM max and it has the AMI WinBIOS. too bad the Dallas RTC chip is soldered to the board, I just ordered a 24 pin IC socket to put into the place, the DS12887A still has some juice in it but i still want to put a socket into it. I have a hakko fx-888d soldering station that i use for soldering, im still new to soldering. any tips for desoldering the dallas chip?

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 3 of 4, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're serious about retro computing/gaming or electronics you really should invest in a desoldering station for through-hole removal work - it does away completely with the mess of desolder braid. Probably one of the best purchases I've made in years (well, technically it was a christmas gift from my wife!).

They're not mega-expensive either.

It's one of those tools that you really don't know you need until you try it. Then you wonder how you ever did without one!

Attachments

• 51qAK+akIPL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    Filename
    51qAK+akIPL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    File size
    37.21 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Desoldering station example
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 4 of 4, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-01-18, 08:16:

If you're serious about retro computing/gaming or electronics you really should invest in a desoldering station for through-hole removal work - it does away completely with the mess of desolder braid. Probably one of the best purchases I've made in years (well, technically it was a christmas gift from my wife!).

They're not mega-expensive either.

It's one of those tools that you really don't know you need until you try it. Then you wonder how you ever did without one!

this 100%

people need to stop bending over backwards to use the wrong tool for the job here