VOGONS

First post, by Frrayground

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can give me some insight on what the problem is with this build!

I'm working on building a Windows XP retro gaming PC and I'm having issues with getting it to POST with a certain CPU and RAM combo. Here are the parts I'm using:

Intel D975XBX2KR mobo
Intel E8600 CPU
Zalman Cnps9700 cooler
DDR2 6400 800mhz RAM
Asus GTX 285
Corsair 750w Bronze PSU

This all used to work great in an older case until I tried to upgrade the RAM from 2x2 GB sticks to 4x1 GB sticks. Now none of them will POST.

When I turn it on, the fans are quiet at first and then everything goes to 100% fan speed and there's no video output or anything.

If I put in a E6600 CPU it works just fine! Just not with the E8600. But it all used to work together so I'm really confused.

I think it has something to do with the RAM and maybe RAM frequency? If I use the old RAM sticks and manually set the frequency to 667mhz instead of 800, it will POST with the E8600. I have to put in the E6600 to make the changes and then swap the CPU. So with the 667mz change, it does work... But the fans are all at 100% speed and the BIOS says the processor is only running at .40 ghz. And doing the same frequency change with the new RAM sticks doesn't work with the E8600...

I ordered a second E8600 because I thought the CPU was just bad, but the second one behaves the same way.

Any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated! I have a feeling I just need to get the RAM frequency and timings right to make things all work, but the processor showing a .40 ghz is what makes me think maybe it's something bigger?

Thanks so much for any help guys!

Reply 2 of 7, by Frrayground

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, updated to the latest BIOS.

I tried clearing the CMOS but I can't get it to clear for some reason. Unless I'm not understanding what it really means, clearing the CMOS should re-set everything correct? I put the jumper to the clear position, I unplugged the PSU cables from the board and removed the battery. I left it like that overnight and in the morning settings were still the same on the board.

Reply 3 of 7, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Frrayground wrote on 2021-01-20, 17:38:

...I put the jumper to the clear position, I unplugged the PSU cables from the board and removed the battery. I left it like that overnight...

This should be sufficient to clear all BIOS settings and restore defaults.

I remember an issue some ASUS board (P5...) had. When you populated the RAM slots with a certain combination of RAM sticks the system wouldn´t start anymore not even with the original (formerly working) RAM sticks and not even after clearing CMOS. The solution was - and I don`t recall all the details - that you had to start the board with a single RAM of a certain size in a certain (1st?) slot. Then it would start like a charm. After that you could fit in the original RAM sticks again.

Maybe there´s some similar issue here.

Reply 6 of 7, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A lot of boards will downclock the memory if all slots are filled. Some don't like it at all.

Anyway, how is swapping 2x2 to 4x1 an "upgrade"?

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 7 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr.cat wrote on 2021-01-21, 00:28:

Have you run any memory tests on those sticks? Memory problems can cause all kind of weirdness.

My guess is NO 😀

texterted wrote on 2021-01-21, 02:02:

A lot of boards will downclock the memory if all slots are filled. Some don't like it at all.
Anyway, how is swapping 2x2 to 4x1 an "upgrade"?

Totally agree ! Running 2 versus 4 for same amount of ram is not an upgrade, even if the 4 are slightly higher speed than the original 2.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun