VOGONS

First post, by amigasith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

first time poster here, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question 😀 After playing with Amigas for the last couple of years, I recently re-discovered my love for the 486 era and so I bought a bunch of 486 boards to tinker with, including a Shuttle HOT-433.

It had an empty Dallas and so I replaced it with a nice PCB from a fellow a1k .org forum member. This PCB is based on the well-known BENCHMARQ chip, which seems to work just fine. The CMOS battery state low message is gone now and the board saves time and other settings just fine, therefore I think everything BIOS-related works as expected. BIOS revision is AUS2C by the way.

What really puzzles me, however, is the HUGE delay until the board actually resets when I press Ctrl-Alt-Del. I measured it and it literally takes 10 seconds (!) until the reset actually happens. All the other boards that I have reset instantly after pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del. So my question for you guys is: Is this (1) normal for a Shuttle HOT-433 board or is this perhaps (2) a known issue that can be fixed somehow or (3) do you think the board has a hardware issue?

Any hint is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Marc

EDIT: I forgot to mention a couple of things:

- I tried several different keyboards, but the reset behavior is always the same: I press Ctrl-Alt-Del and then it takes 10 sec until the reset actually takes place
- I tried different PSUs, but no change either
- I re-seated all socketed chips, but to no avail
- The keyboard itself reacts promptly when typing either under DOS - I'm only using a floppy disk drive at the moment - or in BIOS menus
- Hardware reset works instantaneously
- Electrolytic caps still look fine - no visible bulging and / or spill

Last edited by amigasith on 2021-01-30, 22:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does a hard reset work instantly ?
I have an older 486 that also takes time (maybe 3 or 4 real seconds) before Ctrl-Alt-Del resets from DOS but if still booting up before end of BIOS POST it resets nearly instant with Ctrl-Alt-Del, and always near instant with the reset button.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 5, by amigasith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Horun,

thank you very much for answering 👍

I updated my initial post just before your post 😀 So to answer your first question: Yes, a hardware reset works instantaneously.

And regarding your second question: I just tested it again and found out something pretty interesting: While the board is in POST, Ctrl-Alt-Del works almost instantly. However, when POST is over, for example when the "Insert BOOT diskette in A:" message appears, then Ctrl-Alt-Del takes 10 sec to reset.

Therefore, I don't think it is related to DOS.

Cheers,
Marc

Reply 3 of 5, by amigasith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are there any fellow HOT-433 owners out there? It would be nice if you could run a quick Ctrl-Alt-Del test in a real DOS prompt and report back to me how long it takes with your board 😀

My board is a pre-V4 version, so something up to and including 3.x. I cannot figure out its exact version, but as said something up to 3.x, since it has the rectangular shape and the PCB doesn't have the version 4 print on it. BIOS revision is AUS2C.

My board looks like this one - except for the Dallas 😁: http://www.amoretro.de/2012/01/shuttle-hot-43 … otherboard.html

Reply 4 of 5, by amigasith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a quick follow-up on this one here... I mistakenly put the "turbo" jumper in place, which I thought would turn turbo mode on. But as it turned out, setting this jumper turned turbo mode off 🤦

So the incredibly easy fix was to remove the turbo jumper and now the board runs like a champ 👍 Sometimes, things are really that easy...

Reply 5 of 5, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amigasith wrote on 2021-05-20, 21:54:

Just a quick follow-up on this one here... I mistakenly put the "turbo" jumper in place, which I thought would turn turbo mode on. But as it turned out, setting this jumper turned turbo mode off 🤦

So the incredibly easy fix was to remove the turbo jumper and now the board runs like a champ 👍 Sometimes, things are really that easy...

Nice. I read a chipset datasheet a few weeks ago and thought it was funny that they actually called that input the 'deturbo' pin.