VOGONS

Can't install XP (Dell Vostro 200)

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 20, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I did pull out the old p4 system, put an 80GB drive in and after some slight re-adjustment of the sata cable I am installing XP on it right now. i was really hoping to have a c2d XP retro build, but oh well. And damn is my p4 system dusty, i can just smell it in the air. I have no compressed air to solve the dust problem.

EDIT: Installation failed

EDIT2: moving the hard drive in the case to another spot and other small adjustments later and XP is installed and running on the P4

ODwilly wrote on 2021-02-04, 21:36:

+1 and may I add that between the Dell, the P4 and your Athlon XP Compaq you have a good combination of parts to throw a XP box together. Could you post the specs of em?

Dell vostro 200:
CPU: C2D
GPU: G31 graphics
RAM: 1GB of DDR2 RAM
HDD: 160GB SATA2 Drive
ODD: some sort of DVD drive, maybe rewritable

P4:
CPU: Prescot 2M Pentium 4 640 HT
GPU: Ati (yes ATI) Radeon X800 GTO but has missing fan on cooler
RAM: 2GB of RAM (which while did fit the dell, they didn't work with it)
HDD: 80GB SATA drive
ODD: usb dvd drive
Fun Fact: last time I used this system it had a WD Green 500GB 5400rpm drive from 2013/2014 that still works to this day and i use to store game mods and other things)
Fun Fact 2: I never ran XP on it, I always ran Windows 7 on it. It really was only in use for like a year until I went LGA1150.
Fun Fact 3: Fun Fact 2 was a lie, sort of. After building a more modern machine, I did bring it back for providing warmth but then I installed Vista and used it to read guides on wiki sites while playing games on my main PC

Athlon XP Compaq:
CPU: Athlon XP obviously (the only number I see on front is 2600)
GPU: I have no clue
RAM: 512MB
HDD: I didn't read that part of the sticker
ODD: Has a DVD RW drive
Fun Fact: It has a silver and black case