VOGONS

First post, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Lucky Star LS-486E board, which I know is a pretty popular board on this forum. My particular revision of the board has this VT82C41N KBC and does NOT have a footprint for a standard DIP-40 KBC. I have been buzzing out the pins on this unusual DIP-24 keyboard controller because it is totally undocumented, as far as I can tell. Here's what I have so far:

1-???
2-???
3-SYSCLK (connected to the southbridge on my mobo, equivalent to B20-CLOCK on ISA)
4-RESET#
5-KBROMCS#
6-IOR#
7-XA2
8-IOW#
9-XD3
10-XD4
11-XD5
12-XD6
13-XD7
14-Vss
15-XD2
16-XD1
17-XD0
18-???
19-KBDINH# (keylock)
20-IRQ1
21-KBDI (connected to keyboard data pin on the DIN)
22-KBCI (connected to keyboard clock pin on the DIN)
23-???
24-Vcc

As you can see I have mapped all of them except pins 1, 2, 18 and 23.

It has come to my attention that there is another revision of this board which contains nested footprints for this mini-KBC as well as a full size DIP-40 footprint.
ls486edp.jpg

If anyone has one of these, could you please check for me which, if any, pins on the DIP-40 footprint correspond to pins 1, 2, 18 and 23 on the DIP-24 footprint?

Reply 1 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a board with a small keyboard controller, I went to find it and it was even smaller one in just DIP20 package by Lance Corp...
It is possible that these 4 pins are not connected internally. You can actually test for it with a diode test, see if these pins give a reading when you test against GND and VCC, connected pins usually always have ESD protection diodes attached and the test will show them.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 3, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2021-02-04, 07:52:

I have a board with a small keyboard controller, I went to find it and it was even smaller one in just DIP20 package by Lance Corp...
It is possible that these 4 pins are not connected internally. You can actually test for it with a diode test, see if these pins give a reading when you test against GND and VCC, connected pins usually always have ESD protection diodes attached and the test will show them.

good idea!

Reply 3 of 3, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok by using the diode test I have confirmed that those pins ARE connected to something. Also I have determined that there is no separate TTL logic on the board to handle inverting the KBC clock/data output like there would be with a traditional KBC, so I'm assuming these functions are integral to the mini-KBC