VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone ever made a gerber for the socket 7 interposers? It would be cool to make new golden tiger interposers so we could put these mobile tillamooks laying around to good use.

For those of you who don’t know, the pentium 1 didn’t end with the 233 mmx, there was a mobile socket 7 processor made that went to 266 in socket 7 and at least 300? Or 350? On non socket 7 mobile boards (see pic) well, at least that’s what that’s the official intel options went up to, 😁...

Turns out some clever chinese people got together and made a socket 7 300 pentium 1 using genuine intel silicon, and their own socket 7 interposer. problem is the silicon used didn’t always match the mhz listed on their interposer package 🤣. But it didn’t matter much as they could basically all do speeds over 300mhz from my understanding, of course, the flagship of them being the 300mhz golden tiger. (Pictured)

The official socket 7 tillamook chips had issues with desktop boards though btw which as of 2021 have been largely solved with mods which you can find here Re: Tillamook 266MHz and working L2 cache?
credit to RichB93 for the image. (Also added here incase link goes down.)

Also here is a video with more info: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=736iXRdXuTE

Anyway, I think it would be a awesome project to make new interposers that people could order for these old chips to give them life. What do you all think?

Attachments

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2021-02-05, 14:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 5, by Gopher666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"some clever chinese people got together and made a socket 7 300 pentium 1 using genuine intel silicon"
I have seen this video some weeks ago and according to the guy they just took genuine Intel Cpus put that golden cover on it and wrote some fake BS on top of it. Regardless that they look cool I don't see how this is more than a scam.

Reply 2 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gopher666 wrote on 2021-02-05, 14:35:

"some clever chinese people got together and made a socket 7 300 pentium 1 using genuine intel silicon"
I have seen this video some weeks ago and according to the guy they just took genuine Intel Cpus put that golden cover on it and wrote some fake BS on top of it. Regardless that they look cool I don't see how this is more than a scam.

If it works, it's no scam, particularly not if the clearly documented what they did.

There's no native So7 300MHz part from Intel, so there's added value in taking a BGA part and putting it onto So7 package.

Reply 3 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gopher666 wrote on 2021-02-05, 14:35:

it's a "fake" intel release as I explained, but they do work and in fact in creating these they created the fastest REAL socket 7 intel silicon cpu for socket 7 so if they work, it's not a scam in my opinion (in this particular case) just a fake intel release. you still got a working chip with real working intel silicon inside it, in fact it's better than the ones intel did release cause the "real" socket 7 tillamooks needed mods that we didn't figure out until the last year or two some 20 years later so the Chinese fakes were actually your best option for performance intel on socket 7

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 5, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think all Tillamooks will run at 300MHz - it's just the internal multi that determines what it will actually do. My 266 rated chip is running at 300MHz (4*75MHz) without issue - I guess that's how these fakes do it too; 4x multi with a 75MHz FSB)

Reply 5 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RichB93 wrote on 2021-02-05, 19:41:

I think all Tillamooks will run at 300MHz - it's just the internal multi that determines what it will actually do. My 266 rated chip is running at 300MHz (4*75MHz) without issue - I guess that's how these fakes do it too; 4x multi with a 75MHz FSB)

do you have to set 2x on mobo to get 4x on chip? Along with pin jump

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-