VOGONS

First post, by tony359

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there

I have another faulty card I am troubleshooting and I hope someone here has some good tips for me!

This was dead - black screen, no signal or sync at output. I tried all possible jumper configurations with no luck following this doc:

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/U … TVGA-8900C.html

At some point I realised the memory modules Address lines were dead. Inspecting the main TRIDENT chip I found that MANY legs were detatched! I re-flowed all of them and I now have signal to the RAM modules! But still no video.

The only thing I can find odd is that the I/O lines of the left-hand-side memory modules look "wrong". If I swap the memory modules, the issue follows the sockets. Those lines seem to be directly connected to the TRIDENT chip. I tried re-flowing that section again (hand held solder with small tip, not SMD) but still nothing.
If I move the RAM chips to the other four slots, the I/O lines are good - but the card won't boot anyways.

I've also noticed that ONLY those I/O lines have a much lower resistance to ground: around 7KOhm when all the others show 7-9Megaohm.

I'd suspect the chip but it's a bit odd that ALL I/O lines of those two chips are showing the same issue.

Picture attached of a good line vs a bad line. Any suggestion is welcome!

(Yes, sync signal is correctly showing at 40Mhz)

Thank you!

Attachments

• SDS00002.png
    Filename
    SDS00002.png
    File size
    48.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • SDS00001.png
    Filename
    SDS00001.png
    File size
    39.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_4257.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_4257.jpeg
    File size
    777.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@tony359

Reply 1 of 4, by tony359

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh well, I managed to fix it! 😁 Just writing here brought me good luck!!!

I thought I saw the data line "changing" when I touched an electrolytic cap. I just replaced all three of them - some looked in bad shape but they all measured fine.

And... it works now!!!

Surprisingly, those I/O lines still look wrong. Meh! 😀

Thanks for your help! 😉

Reply 3 of 4, by tony359

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ahah fantastic! I was puzzled to see so many legs just moving freely when I touched them. But that wasn't enough. I have a feeling that the caps are fine - at least I don't see anything wrong with them, not even ESR - and the new solder job did the trick!

Well, I now know what to do on my next "faulty" board I just bought! 😀

Reply 4 of 4, by mophus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And I've just fixed mine. Black screen. i re-soldered the GPU and replaced the capacitors but that didn't help. I re-soldered all the chips. nothing.
I soldered the sockets for the ram and replaced the memory chips but that didn't help either.
I checked the ROM and it was ok, but I programmed a new one just in case. This did not change anything either.
On the oscilloscope I could only see activity at first second time. 40Mhz clock signal present.
Today I soldered out the 74xxx chips to check on the tester. All chips good. I soldered the sockets and put the chips back in. The card started up. Probably something must have been out of contact at or around them, as I used a hotair when removing them.

Never give up.

I now have a card with polymer capacitors and MLCC. I think there's another tanal one in there that I'm going to replace with MLCC as well.

Attachments

• after.jpg
    Filename
    after.jpg
    File size
    310.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • before.jpg
    Filename
    before.jpg