VOGONS

First post, by mikedebian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

I have this great LS120 mb Floppy drive hooked up to my ryzen system. It reads and writes 1.44mb disks fine. I use FreeDOS a lot and make images from and to floppies to my other systems.
The board does not have a fdd port understanably, so I was wondering if an IDE gotek drive exist.

Reply 1 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mikedebian wrote on 2021-02-26, 00:27:

Hello

I have this great LS120 mb Floppy drive hooked up to my ryzen system. It reads and writes 1.44mb disks fine. I use FreeDOS a lot and make images from and to floppies to my other systems.
The board does not have a fdd port understanably, so I was wondering if an IDE gotek drive exist.

I don't think that exists . That said, I don't see why you would need a Gotek on a modern machine .
If you want to use floppy disk images on your Ryzen machine, I imagine that you would use a DosBox or an emulator that supports image files directly .
If the goal is to load image files onto a USB drive for use in a Gotek on another machine, you don't need a Gotek on the modern Ryzen machine to do that .

Maybe if you could provide some details about your intended use case, someone might suggest a way to achieve your goal .

Reply 2 of 5, by mikedebian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-02-26, 00:45:
I don't think that exists . That said, I don't see why you would need a Gotek on a modern machine . If you want to use floppy d […]
Show full quote
mikedebian wrote on 2021-02-26, 00:27:

Hello

I don't think that exists . That said, I don't see why you would need a Gotek on a modern machine .
If you want to use floppy disk images on your Ryzen machine, I imagine that you would use a DosBox or an emulator that supports image files directly .
If the goal is to load image files onto a USB drive for use in a Gotek on another machine, you don't need a Gotek on the modern Ryzen machine to do that .

Maybe if you could provide some details about your intended use case, someone might suggest a way to achieve your goal .

I'd like to easily load up floppy disk images on the fly under i.e. FreeDOS / MSDOS.
I know that there is a virtual floppy mounting tool under FreeDOS, but I'm requiring if a hardware version exists 😀

Edit:

Yes, that is fair. However, my goal is not to use dosbox,pcem,dosemu, etc. I could always just use the floppies that I have as my floppy drive works perfectly in my ryzen machine already. It's just more convinient with USB usage and images when already booted in to FreeDOS. Floppies sadly do not last forever, nor the drives 🙁

Reply 3 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You only need a Gotek for the older systems.

Your RyZen system would just use the usb sticks directly and you use the Gotek or similar software to read/write to the Gotek formatted usb sticks

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-02-26, 03:16:

You only need a Gotek for the older systems.

Your RyZen system would just use the usb sticks directly and you use the Gotek or similar software to read/write to the Gotek formatted usb sticks

This is what I meant . Additionally, you do not absolutely need need to use FreeDOS to make your images . LS120 drives work under both Windows (10 included) and Linux . You could easily make create you images under the modern OS of your choice and copy these images to a USB drive which you can then connect to your legacy system's Gotek unit .

Reply 5 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think there is a way to make virtual floppy disks on a usb flash stick if that helps I actually keep one around that has that on it just to use a usb floppy disk. what I'm talking about is when you plug it in it actually shows a floppy drive in my computer along with the remaining storage on your usb stick as a removable disk

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)