VOGONS

First post, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone, I was told that posting here with my issue might be a good idea. I’m having trouble with this laptop I picked up. It boots up and seems to work well! But there’s no Os on it and the hard drive isn’t formatted. Is there a way to format a hard drive as bootable for Dos and copy over a pre setup freedos or Windows 3.1 system? Or even windows 95? I’m really at a loss as to what to do here. I have a 44 pin IDE adapter so I can plug the hard drive up to my windows 10 Pc. The hard drive scans perfectly and is in good shape and reads/writes at fullspeed. But I have no way to make a floppy disk for it and I doubt the floppy disk drive even works. Anyone have any suggestions? I’ve attached a pic of the laptop in question to this post if it helps

Attachments

Reply 1 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This documents it pretty well
http://theinstructionlimit.com/installing-ms- … -to-ide-adapter.

If it was me I'd go with Win95, (steps are more or less the same) you can boot into pure dos mode if that's your ultimate goal but its easier to get a PCMCIA network card working 95 and you really want networking if you don't have working Floppy/CD on a PC

Reply 2 of 11, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

USB floppy drives are cheap to find on Ebay or other sites:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FDD-3-5-USB-External … ~UAAOSw3s9fj1kD

You can find software for it on Compaq's site here:
https://web.archive.org/web/19991004043242/ht … s/us/index.html
Just select LTE ELite series and then the operating system.

For the downloads you need to find the SOFTPAQ number and then search for it on google. For instance
https://web.archive.org/web/19991003163138/ht … ftware/475.html
have SP number: SP2054.exe

Many mirrors on Google if you search for the filename, but many files are also hosted on HP's FTP:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp2001-2500/sp2054.exe

Mirror example:
http://cwcyrix.duckdns.org/ftp-archives/ftp.c … 2500/sp2054.exe

Atleast install the setup files, which enables you to enter the BIOS settings.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 11, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-03-03, 11:47:

This documents it pretty well
http://theinstructionlimit.com/installing-ms- … -to-ide-adapter.

If it was me I'd go with Win95, (steps are more or less the same) you can boot into pure dos mode if that's your ultimate goal but its easier to get a PCMCIA network card working 95 and you really want networking if you don't have working Floppy/CD on a PC

Yes thank you. The floppy drive is very broken in this. I think this is what I needed. I’m going to get the hard drive out this evening and give this a try. This didn’t come up at all when I was trying to google this exact topic so thank you so much!

Reply 4 of 11, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just to update anyone that cares. I plugged the disk into my computer using a cheap 44pin to USB adapter I have. I put the disk offline in disk part and made a virtual box image and installed dos as the instructions posted previously and it works! Now to get a network card and get some games on here. And to figure out why the mouse only sort of works. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

Reply 5 of 11, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice progress

Why are you so sure the floppy drive does not work? If you are going to keep this thing I strongly recommend you check if the floppy drive actually work, and if yes, then get some floppies and a USB floppy drive (as linked above)

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 11, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vetz wrote on 2021-03-03, 22:58:

Nice progress

Why are you so sure the floppy drive does not work? If you are going to keep this thing I strongly recommend you check if the floppy drive actually work, and if yes, then get some floppies and a USB floppy drive (as linked above)

I tried it and it makes horrible noises and does nothing. I’m going to get it fixed when I have time and get some more floppies though. I have a laptop with a working floppy drive that I’ll write floppies from once I get it networked. For now I’m going to take the hard drive out of the device to load some games and files on there. I really appreciate the help and all the links.

Reply 7 of 11, by RoadWarriorB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your floppy has a bad belt. Those Citizen W1D drives are notorious for broken belts. I've fixed about 7 myself.

Fortunately, they're found in a lot of other computers. Right off the top of my head, a few Sony Vaio external drives used them, as did a few Gateways. If it's just the belt, there's an eBay seller in Germany that makes the right size ones. Others may work too.

The drive has four external screws and two under the cover. Just make sure you use something to prop up the write head so you can more easily slide the top part of the cage off.

Reply 8 of 11, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RoadWarriorB wrote on 2021-03-04, 01:06:

Your floppy has a bad belt. Those Citizen W1D drives are notorious for broken belts. I've fixed about 7 myself.

Fortunately, they're found in a lot of other computers. Right off the top of my head, a few Sony Vaio external drives used them, as did a few Gateways. If it's just the belt, there's an eBay seller in Germany that makes the right size ones. Others may work too.

The drive has four external screws and two under the cover. Just make sure you use something to prop up the write head so you can more easily slide the top part of the cage off.

Thank you for telling me the model of drive. Obviously I’m not as knowledgeable as the people here so I’m glad I was told about this place! Maybe I can get some help with my pile of old computers and laptops now. I’ll give that a try sometime so I can get it all working proper. I need to replace the polarizer which is something I can do at least. It’s starting to get a little melty but it isn’t bad by any means. When I’m feeling brave I’ll prop it open and see about finding the belt. Or at least put a rubber band in there and see if that’s all it is!

Reply 9 of 11, by kleung21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got a 4/50cx working about 2 weeks ago. Same problems with the floppy drive although the previous owner tore the flex cable so I'm not even going to bother to repair it.

You might want to remove the cmos battery (nicad rechargable) as there is some risk of leakage in a machine this old.

Fair amount of information online for these machines. As for the mouse ball. same thing here. The springs inside loosen over time so the rollers no longer give good resistance. Also, the rubber of the mouse ball hardens and I'm not aware of any replacements.

Reply 10 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glad its up and running, its a nice laptop not that I've owned one.
That era had some real nice docking stations.

They all had VGA, PS2 ports, etc but also added the below which could be useful
MiniStation Base gives you networking and somewhat useful External SCSI, although finding good SCSI CD drives is hard these days
SmartStation has the above plus Internal IDE and 2 ISA slots.

The Buy it now prices are over inflated but may be able to get one at a good price if you keep an eye out

Reply 11 of 11, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-03-04, 10:49:
Glad its up and running, its a nice laptop not that I've owned one. That era had some real nice docking stations. […]
Show full quote

Glad its up and running, its a nice laptop not that I've owned one.
That era had some real nice docking stations.

They all had VGA, PS2 ports, etc but also added the below which could be useful
MiniStation Base gives you networking and somewhat useful External SCSI, although finding good SCSI CD drives is hard these days
SmartStation has the above plus Internal IDE and 2 ISA slots.

The Buy it now prices are over inflated but may be able to get one at a good price if you keep an eye out

I have the smart station and overall it’s in good shape and seems to work. But the motorized dock is broken and the eject button is physically broken. I’m going to spend some time fixing that another day. It seems simple enough. I ordered another ide to sd adapter to put in here. But I’m pleased with how well it’s working. I spent a bit of time playing Wheel of Fortune and Price is Right last night. Anyways I won’t bug anyone else. Take care everyone! Also the cmos battery wasn’t leaking but I’ll definitely get it removed.